My personal "ideal" weight is still overweight according to the charts. Is this a bad thing?

Options
Hi, I'm 5'5" and 177 - and am wanting to get back down to 155, where I feel really good. I'm being encouraged to lose 10 lbs more than that to get into the top of a "normal" body weight for my height, but I feel gross at 145 and can't maintain it. I like me at 155 (heck, I like me now, but you know what I'm saying.) Is it ok to still be overweight according to medical charts?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say? If you are satisfied with your weight "above normal" and no health issues identified go for it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's up to you. Why not get your body fat checked at that weight and see if you are in a healthy range for that, which is more important than BMI.

Also, although I think BMI tends to be accurate more often than not for women, the evidence of risks for being in a BMI of 25-27 or so is quite low, so if your health otherwise seemed good and you felt good at that weight and more like you could maintain it, I think that's a perfectly reasonable choice.

But no need to worry about it yet. Just focus on getting to 155.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I sure hope so! I'm 5'10 and according to those charts, I should be 152-172 lbs, but I'm shooting for 185. The smallest I've ever been was 148 and I looked gaunt. I felt super happy and healthy at 180-185, so I'd say as long as you're healthy, go for it. Those charts are just estimations anyway.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    mrsdrshot wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 5'5" and 177 - and am wanting to get back down to 155, where I feel really good. I'm being encouraged to lose 10 lbs more than that to get into the top of a "normal" body weight for my height, but I feel gross at 145 and can't maintain it. I like me at 155 (heck, I like me now, but you know what I'm saying.) Is it ok to still be overweight according to medical charts?

I HATE BMI'S

Now that, that is out of the way. No its not a bad thing. Im a 5'9 man with wide shoulders and a bit of a spare tire on my stomach but im no where near what an "obese" man could be and im considered morbidly obese. This is the unpopular opinion that everyone will tear me down for saying but Take The BMI Scale With A Grain Of Salt it doesn't take in account muscle mass or anything other than a straight line function of characteristics for gender. Keep exercising until you look the way you want and are out of the woods with health concerns at a young age
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'd talk to the doctor and see what he says, then make my decision.

Never make health decisions based on what you find online. Always a good rule to follow. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you have a large frame, then 155 is an acceptable weight. Also keep in mind that as you age, the healthy range for body fat % increases compared to a younger woman.
  • Desert_flower3
    Desert_flower3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi there....
    Yes it is. Now before people storm with comments on here saying science this, studies that,... lol let me tell you something Science is always late. Famous doctors, and not the dumb American ones have concluded that people with a few extra pounds live the longest. What? Yes its true. I have lived all over the world and all the doctors have said that to me when I was trying to get to 45 kgs. The main thing though is that you eat healthy foods and keep your cholesterol and blood pressure low etc...My grandma is a famous doctor. Eat Lots of veggies and not the fake cancer causing foods that are plenty in North America. As long as you move around a lot and eat healthy... there is absolutely no problem having a few extra pounds.
    Also listen to your own body and use your own discretion.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I also don't take the BMI too seriously. I am also considered as overweight at 28 BMI at my ideal weight.
  • MFD7576
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi there....
    Yes it is. Now before people storm with comments on here saying science this, studies that,... lol let me tell you something Science is always late. Famous doctors, and not the dumb American ones have concluded that people with a few extra pounds live the longest. What? Yes its true. I have lived all over the world and all the doctors have said that to me when I was trying to get to 45 kgs. The main thing though is that you eat healthy foods and keep your cholesterol and blood pressure low etc...My grandma is a famous doctor. Eat Lots of veggies and not the fake cancer causing foods that are plenty in North America. As long as you move around a lot and eat healthy... there is absolutely no problem having a few extra pounds.

A very skewed way of thinking here, would be nice if you backed up that NA has cancer causing foods before throwing out such a wild thought. Im not trying to bait anything here but this is less than supportive for the OP.

Her BP and Cholesterol doesn't correlate with the BMI chart all that much.

I also want to verify that you said "Yes it is" to her asking "is this a bad thing"
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    See how you feel when you get there

I was determined that my goal would be 165, I'm now hovering around 157
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Hi there....

I'm really tempted to flag this for flame-bating.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi there....

Please list these foods that are proved to be cancer-causing
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    See how you feel when you get there

I was determined that my goal would be 165, I'm now hovering around 157

Yep, get to your goal first, then reassess.
  • MFD7576
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hi there....

Please list these foods that are proved to be cancer-causing

I feel this implied we know exactly what causes cancer but still dont understand why its happening lol Like being in denial that your brakes on your car don't work and wondering why you cant stop
  • Desert_flower3
    Desert_flower3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    MFD7576 wrote: »
    Hi there....

A very skewed way of thinking here, would be nice if you backed up that NA has cancer causing foods before throwing out such a wild thought. Im not trying to bait anything here but this is less than supportive for the OP.

Hi please feel free to do your search about Cancer causing foods or Lifestyle that causes cancer and message me with your findings. Thank you, appreciate it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    Options
    Why don't you get to 155lbs first and re-evaluate how you feel?

Every time we go up and down the scale, the years have gone by, our body has changed, there is no guarantee that you will feel best at a particular weight.

There are arguments to be made for slightly overweight BMI's as we get older. So just because it is above 'normal' doesn't automatically mean it is bad.

But there is no real reason to make a final decision ahead of time.

Be flexible and willing to re-evaluate!
  • glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have a BMI of 26 so am overweight. but not much belly. I have known people with a pot belly and yet they still claim to be within a weight that is not over weight. BMI is for populations not individuals so it should work for most but there will always be a few who drop off each side of the norm
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you happy.
  • MFD7576
    Options
    MFD7576 wrote: »
    Hi there....

Hi please feel free to do your search about Cancer causing foods or Lifestyle that causes cancer and message me with your findings. Thank you, appreciate it.

I got people who visit Chernobyl for vacation, nuclear power plant cleaners and people with a family history of cancer. We didn't have McDonalds in the 1800's and there was plenty of cancer so I would never link food to cancer. Never.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    That's exactly where I started... I'm 5'5 and used to weigh 155/156 lbs. Maybe if I was more "toned" up I would have been happier there. But if YOU feel comfortable there, that's all that matters. It's not even fat or chubby, it's a damned good size.

I'm gonna poof this very soon but this is me at 5'5 & 156 lbs.

6163288698c5e9ab4fc590e538ea2978d8f1.jpg