Ever Thought of Becoming a Vegetarian?

Options
Hi, I'm Cindy. As my MFP name implies, I plan to eat vegetarian for the next 30 days. I want to see how it will affect my weight and how I feel in general. I have started a group if you'd like to join me on the journey. We can encourage one another, share meal idea's and become friends. If you're interested, just click on Groups at the top of this page and then search for 30 Days A Vegetarian.
I hope to see you there.

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A few years ago my husband and I ate vegetarian for 30 days. Mainly to see how it impacted our grocery bill and to see how we'd feel.
    My husband ate the occasional burger at lunch at work, but otherwise did well sticking to it as did I. We didn't notice any benefit financially or in how we felt, and with a shrug went right back to eating the way we did.

It was a good challenge, though.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am a protein *kitten* now and cannot see how to get it without being a veggietarian!!!

I will say this, you can gain weight eating too much of anything...
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I challenged myself to be vegetarian for a week. Six years ago. Haven't stopped ;)

Not sure it really changed how I felt (probably lost around 10 lbs to start, but I wasn't overweight) or impacted my wallet, though I was never a big meat eater to begin with. I will say that being vegan (for about 4 months now) has been cheaper tho!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I know a couple of really fat vegetarians - eating vegetarian in itself will not make you lose weight - you might actually gain because you will probably eat less protein and more carbs - which don't keep me satisfied and is really calorie heavy....
    good luck.....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes, for ethical reasons (way before I was focusing on weight loss), but I resolved my particular concerns to my satisfaction after thinking through the issue and making some decisions about sourcing.

I don't think vegetarianism would make it easier to lose weight, in fact for me it would make it harder.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My bf is vegetarian but I like my seafood too much to switch. Most days I do eat vegetarian though.

Just to add, regardless of your eating habits ..as long as you're in calorie deficit then you will lose.
  • spearmintskies
    spearmintskies Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I cut out meat for about 6 months 3 or so years back. I rather enjoyed my skin clearing up and lost a very insignificant amount of weight. I went back to eating meat but I try to have it very sparingly (for ethical and environmental purposes only, and for my wallet).

Edited to say I probably eat a meat-centered dish twice a week or so. 80% of my meals are vegetarian. I love eggs and seafood though. I could never give those up.
  • VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you want, I journal all of my meals and snacks. I stared out challenging myself to be a vegetarian for 2 weeks and that was 10 years ago! :smile: No judgment if you decide it isn't for you! I love it and it has been good for my life. Hope you like it!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I have actually, but for ethical reasons.

Eating a vegetarian diet won't make you lose weight.

Good luck.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    MyWhole30Journey Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Not eating vegetarian to lose weight. I understand that a lot of dairy (i.e. cheese) and pasta's are eaten by vegetarians as well as a LOT of processed "natural" foods. My intention is clean eating! I grow a lot of food, fruit trees, vines and bushes as well as a pretty prolific veggie garden.
    I also deal with stomach issues and my body doesn't handle meat like it did 20 years ago. So, that being said, don't be nay sayers, be positive, upbuilding and encouraging. Remember, this is My Fitness Pals, not My Fitness Foes :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like meat.
  • spearmintskies
    Options
    I don't think anyone hasn't been positive about the subject. A personal choice is a personal choice, is all. :| Like someone above said, it's a good challenge. Luck to you.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    I'm happy for all of you who like meat, I do too, it just doesn't like me :( Surely you must have noticed when you came into this post that I asked if you ever thought of becoming a vegetarian, not if or why you like meat, but thanks for letting us know that.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    Spearmintskies, vegetarians can eat eggs, I raise my own hens.
  • spearmintskies
    Options
    I know. I also know some vegetarians who cut out all forms of meat i.e eggs, shellfish, seafood... Fresh eggs are awesome. I've always wanted to raise chickens but it's not really possible in an apartment. XD
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi, I'm Cindy. As my MFP name implies, I plan to eat vegetarian for the next 30 days. I want to see how it will affect my weight and how I feel in general. I have started a group if you'd like to join me on the journey. We can encourage one another, share meal idea's and become friends. If you're interested, just click on Groups at the top of this page and then search for 30 Days A Vegetarian.
    I hope to see you there.
    Not eating vegetarian to lose weight. I understand that a lot of dairy (i.e. cheese) and pasta's are eaten by vegetarians as well as a LOT of processed "natural" foods. My intention is clean eating! I grow a lot of food, fruit trees, vines and bushes as well as a pretty prolific veggie garden.
    I also deal with stomach issues and my body doesn't handle meat like it did 20 years ago. So, that being said, don't be nay sayers, be positive, upbuilding and encouraging. Remember, this is My Fitness Pals, not My Fitness Foes :)
    Confused.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    Shell, didn't tell people to join me, invited those who have thought about it try it with me. I'm not upset or dramatic, just letting my voice be heard as well. Glad you enjoy being vegetarian. Incidentally, clean eating is primarily staying clear of process foods. The Fitness Friends, Fitness Foes comment was meant to be cute. Notice a smiley face follows it. Not meaning to offend anyone, I come in peace.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No...I've thought about going pescetarian though...I'm pretty close as it is...but I like chicken too much to give it up.