My personal "ideal" weight is still overweight according to the charts. Is this a bad thing?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    MFD7576 wrote: »
    Hi there....
    Yes it is. Now before people storm with comments on here saying science this, studies that,... lol let me tell you something Science is always late. Famous doctors, and not the dumb American ones have concluded that people with a few extra pounds live the longest. What? Yes its true. I have lived all over the world and all the doctors have said that to me when I was trying to get to 45 kgs. The main thing though is that you eat healthy foods and keep your cholesterol and blood pressure low etc...My grandma is a famous doctor. Eat Lots of veggies and not the fake cancer causing foods that are plenty in North America. As long as you move around a lot and eat healthy... there is absolutely no problem having a few extra pounds.
    Also listen to your own body and use your own discretion.

A very skewed way of thinking here, would be nice if you backed up that NA has cancer causing foods before throwing out such a wild thought. Im not trying to bait anything here but this is less than supportive for the OP.

Her BP and Cholesterol doesn't correlate with the BMI chart all that much.

Hi please feel free to do your search about Cancer causing foods or Lifestyle that causes cancer and message me with your findings. Thank you, appreciate it.

No..you brought that ridiculous conspiracy theory to the thread the onus is on you to offer proof

Anything?

Anything?

Beuller?
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    What's an onus?
  • Desert_flower3
    Desert_flower3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi there....
    Yes it is. Now before people storm with comments on here saying science this, studies that,... lol let me tell you something Science is always late. Famous doctors, and not the dumb American ones have concluded that people with a few extra pounds live the longest. What? Yes its true. I have lived all over the world and all the doctors have said that to me when I was trying to get to 45 kgs. The main thing though is that you eat healthy foods and keep your cholesterol and blood pressure low etc...My grandma is a famous doctor. Eat Lots of veggies and not the fake cancer causing foods that are plenty in North America. As long as you move around a lot and eat healthy... there is absolutely no problem having a few extra pounds.

A very skewed way of thinking here, would be nice if you backed up that NA has cancer causing foods before throwing out such a wild thought. Im not trying to bait anything here but this is less than supportive for the OP.

Hi please feel free to do your search about Cancer causing foods or Lifestyle that causes cancer and message me with your findings. Thank you, appreciate it.

I got people who visit Chernobyl for vacation, nuclear power plant cleaners and people with a family history of cancer. We didn't have McDonalds in the 1800's and there was plenty of cancer so I would never link food to cancer. Never.

Correct... Maybe you wouldn't link cancer to foods and fyi Mcdoncalds is probably the last of the bad foods out there. But the fact is that the North American foods and lifestyle cause cancer. But hey I might be wrong. Like I said let her use her own discretion and listen to her own body.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I have a BMI of 26 so am overweight. but not much belly. I have known people with a pot belly and yet they still claim to be within a weight that is not over weight. BMI is for populations not individuals so it should work for most but there will always be a few who drop off each side of the norm

That's how it works though...BMI is a population measure bell curve of health risk ... hence outliers.

Weight on scale is less important that body composition and you can easily have excess bf within your "healthy BMI range"
  • Desert_flower3
    Options
    Not all the life style or foods cause cancer obviously. I don't know why you are offended here.
    All I'm saying to her is be careful and love your body. That's all I'm saying. Just use common sense and think not only about low weight but health. <3
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    What's an onus?

Obligation / responsibility ...in this context short for onus of proof eg she said it, she needs to prove it with studies
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hi there....

I got people who visit Chernobyl for vacation, nuclear power plant cleaners and people with a family history of cancer. We didn't have McDonalds in the 1800's and there was plenty of cancer so I would never link food to cancer. Never.

Correct... Maybe you wouldn't link cancer to foods and fyi Mcdoncalds is probably the last of the bad foods out there. But the fact is that the North American foods and lifestyle cause cancer. But hey I might be wrong. Like I said let her use her own discretion and listen to her own body.
    America is not the only country with incidence of cancer that is correlated with diet. Japan, not well-known for their obesity, gets more stomach cancer. That's attributed to diet, as well.

We have just begin to scratch the surface of how diet impacts health.

If America dropped the red meat, we'd get fewer cancers in some areas. But if we replace it with something else, then we might get more of some other kind of cancer. Plus, different people are different.

Nobody knows enough yet to say, "Here is the absolute perfect diet for this person."

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Going to ignore the bizarre stuff by some other posters here and just ask why you feel "gross" at 145 lbs? Being slightly "overweight" according to BMI may not be a problem (provided you're at a healthy body fat percentage) but I think a lot of posters on MFP often say they feel "too skinny" at a certain weight simply because they aren't used to it, when in reality it might be both perfectly healthy and look great, but they sell themselves short thinking that xx weight is good enough.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the case for you, and that for a lot of people (especially athletic and/or large-framed ones) a higher goal is completely healthy and fine, but that is something you need to discuss with your doctor.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Not all the life style or foods cause cancer obviously. I don't know why you are offended here.
    All I'm saying to her is be careful and love your body. That's all I'm saying. Just use common sense and think not only about low weight but health. <3

That's nice.

So which lifestyles and foods do?

No offence taken
  • MFD7576
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What's an onus?

Obligation / responsibility ...in this context short for onus of proof eg she said it, she needs to prove it with studies

I googled it after posting that lol I was disbelief it was a word but alas, I learned a new one day! I thought it was a typo toward me also ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    @strong_curves gorgeous shot
  • MFD7576
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Hi there....

America is not the only country with incidence of cancer that is correlated with diet. Japan, not well-known for their obesity, gets more stomach cancer. That's attributed to diet, as well.

If America dropped the red meat, we'd get fewer cancers in some areas. But if we replace it with something else, then we might get more of some other kind of cancer. Plus, different people are different.

Nobody knows enough yet to say, "Here is the absolute perfect diet for this person."

Purely asking this for information purposes so don't take it a wrong way but is Red meat majorly attributed? (Granted we HAVE just scratched the surface)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Hi there....

Purely asking this for information purposes so don't take it a wrong way but is Red meat majorly attributed? (Granted we HAVE just scratched the surface)
    Red meat is linked to colon cancer, which we get a lot of in America, compared to many countries.

We don't get a lot of stomach cancer, though.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine. How you FEEL is the most important.
  • Desert_flower3
    Options
    What's an onus?

Hey if you read my comment you would know that I'm not backing it up with"studies" because like I said I believe that studies and Science are always late. Do you get what I'm trying to say? Now since you are much older and wiser and perhaps have had so much research done or even studied way more than me. You enlighten me? what is the cause of cancer and what did I say wrong and where would you like to correct me. Thank you.
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I really feel like using a number to dictate how you feel is a shame. I NEVER EVER weigh myself anymore. I have been relatively satisfied with my "size" up until about a year ago when I started to gain, The only way I knew was that my size of jeans were going up. I still dont let doctors tell me how much i weigh when I go in. I understand wanting to track weight but dont let that number be an obsession. there are way too many variables! I will instead monitor more closely my intake and keep working out, maybe try a new program to shock my system. But I wont get on a scale. GOOD luck!
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    TLDR synopsis of what follows immediately below: Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

I haven't read this entire thread, but my question is, why are you worrying about this now?

At present, you weigh 177 pounds.

Why don't you proceed according to your original plan and get down to your "ideal" of 155 and then reassess how you feel at that point?

You may find, at that point in the future, that you are indeed happy at 155, as you predicted. Or, you may be surprised to find that you would rather continue to cut a bit more fat and get down to a lower weight, perhaps entering the top of the normal BMI, or not.

There is really no way to predict how you will feel in the future. How you may have felt in the past at a certain weight is absolutely no predictor of how you will feel in the future at a particular weight. At one point in my youth, I felt absolutely horrible, like I was a beached whale, at less than my present weight. But, at this point in my life, I'm actually kind of fine with it. (I think that is why I'm finding it harder to lose "those last ten pounds", because I'm not really that unhappy with my present state.)

Who's to say how you will feel when you reach 155? No one. Not even yourself, now.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What's an onus?

Hey if you read my comment you would know that I'm not backing it up with"studies" because like I said I believe that studies and Science are always late. Do you get what I'm trying to say? Now since you are much older and wiser and perhaps have had so much research done or even studied way more than me. You enlighten me? what is the cause of cancer and what did I say wrong and where would you like to correct me. Thank you.

So, you just...know?

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    What's an onus?

No, you are the one who made a claim. How about being specific? Even if what you said is true, how is what you said anything but totally vague and unhelpful?

Which specific foods or ingredients are you claiming people should be avoiding or eating in order to prevent cancer? What are your claims based on? That people know the name of your grandmother?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    What's an onus?

So, you just...know?
    Just because you don't have a TARDIS doesn't mean it's safe to project this shortcoming on everyone else.