Coffee???

Options

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    @sofaking6 I miss Peet's. We lived around the corner from the one in Hillcrest. No stores here AZ, but you can buy it bagged in the grocery store.

When I do drink coffee (too hot right now), I drink Maxwell House (cause its good to the last drop) with some sort of sweet cream creamer. They are generally around 40 cals per serving, and it doesnt take much to flavor it the way I like it. :)

I love Peet's, although since I'm poor now I stick to shopping at Trader Joe's :)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Matter of preference. I keep a few varieties of coffee at home. I have a Keurig, a French press and an espresso machine so I keep the variety up.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    OMG so many good coffee's in all comments. So many good ones. All my favorites are already listed ^^^^^
  • linboelle
    linboelle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink gevalia signature blend and love it but I don't like drinking any coffee black. I realized I was adding about 420 calories of coffee creamer a day to my coffee so I started using almond milk. This is only 60 calories for 1 whole cup of it. I figured our it's 3.75 calories per tablespoon. They also make sweetened vanilla almond milk which comes to about 5 calories per tablespoon. So if you find that you just can't stomach black coffee, maybe this healthier alternative to creamer will be helpful :smile:
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Anything in a lighter roast, though sometimes I'll drink a darker roast brewed at a higher oz setting to weaken it some
  • Letsgo158
    Letsgo158 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Unless you put obscene amounts of milk/creamer and sugar in your coffee the calories aren't huge. Drink it how you like, and tell others to fly a kite.

I agree with this. I drink one cup a day, two at most and I drink it how I like it and happily log the calories.

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I like Kicking Horse and Black Knight. I order them from amazon. The best beans are freshly roasted and oily. There is an online company called Specialty Java if you want them really freshly roasted but that got expensive for me. Now I use amazon and an Aeropress. The coffee is so good!
  • mandy4matt1996
    mandy4matt1996 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Quarter cup of skim milk and 1 tablespoon of powdered creamer here to whatever we have..we experiment with different brands.
  • lolocoon
    lolocoon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I run a Biggby Coffee shop in Michigan and none have made it to Mississippi yet, but coffee is meant to have a "creamer" in it to balance the acid with a base and bring the flavor out. originally butter was used because milk/cream spoiled sooner. A great recipie if you want a little creamy and sweet is 1/2 tsp coconut oil 1/2 tsp butter, 1 tsp van and 1/2 tsp sugar. Limits the amounts you get.

The darker the coffee the more acidic the blend will be because it "boils" the healthy yummy coffee oil from the bean. A good balanced blend that has flavor, is slightly bold and little acidity is Seatles Best #3 I personally like #4 which is a little more Bold.

Beans always hold flavor longer the grounds and they become more acidic and less flavorful in the freezer/fridge, storing in an air tight container at room temp is best and starting with cold not hot water to brew is best also.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Home brewed dunkin' doughnuts all the way, with a tiny splash of almond milk.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

Dunkin does have good coffee. I've never bought it for home use, but have occasionally stopped in for a cup. Their coffee is much better than their donuts.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    I don't know if anybody knows the answer to this, but I occasionally buy a cup of coffee from the little coffee trucks on the street (I've bought it in New York, Philly, etc.) They usually sell bagels, muffins, and other street type food. I have to say, truck coffee is consistently awesome. I have no idea what brand they use, but it must be cheap because they sell the brewed coffee really cheap. It's better than most coffee from expensive places.

Does anyone know what they use? I never remember to ask when I am buying it.
  • emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    Definitely Peet's for me. My fave, and I drink the Major Dickason's blend black every morning. I get the whole bean at Costco.

I love that one too but I prefer it iced. :)
    kae612 wrote: »
    I don't drink coffee myself, but I know a ton of coffee snobs. They swear on fair trade, independent coffee shops. No brand names, but Ethiopian is a type that is popular. Columbian sometimes too. They grind the beans right before making it, and measure the temperature of the water right before putting it through the coffee press. No coffee filters or machine-brewed coffee for them, lol.

My husband and I get most of our coffee from a local roaster and the fair trade Ethiopian is my favorite. I'm sure the conventional is also delicious but for coffee and chocolate I try to stick to fair trade when possible and practical because coffee farmers deserve fair pay and decent working conditions too. I also feel better about buying from small businesses but that's really neither here nor there.

Despite the fancy presses we use (a couple different versions) and the wild experiments with temp and amount of coffee and whatever I else, I still prefer my coffee with milk and sometimes honey or sugar. And I usually use the Keurig.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    COFFFFEEEEEEE!!!!!!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I am currently drinking kirkland signature rwanda coffee. I use an aeropress to make my coffee. I love that I have full control over the brew temp and time - I get the flavor that I am looking for.
  • emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I am currently drinking kirkland signature rwanda coffee. I use an aeropress to make my coffee. I love that I have full control over the brew temp and time - I get the flavor that I am looking for.

The aero press is so fun.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Boo for Costco no longer selling DD coffee :(
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I don't know if anybody knows the answer to this, but I occasionally buy a cup of coffee from the little coffee trucks on the street (I've bought it in New York, Philly, etc.) They usually sell bagels, muffins, and other street type food. I have to say, truck coffee is consistently awesome. I have no idea what brand they use, but it must be cheap because they sell the brewed coffee really cheap. It's better than most coffee from expensive places.

Over here in Oregon, most of the businesses/stands that I have worked with use Farmer Brothers coffee.
    But I will drink any kind of coffee black if I really need the caffeine ;-), and I generally order it that way when I am out and about. I also prefer darker roasts, to really put "hair on your chest". At home I add 1/4-1/2 c soy milk (15-30 cals), some Torani sugar free syrup, and a bit of Stevia. My big-o cup of coffee is all of 40 calories or less.

• MoiAussi93
    edited July 2015
    Options
    KarlaH9801 wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

Over here in Oregon, most of the businesses/stands that I have worked with use Farmer Brothers coffee.
    But I will drink any kind of coffee black if I really need the caffeine ;-), and I generally order it that way when I am out and about. I also prefer darker roasts, to really put "hair on your chest". At home I add 1/4-1/2 c soy milk (15-30 cals), some Torani sugar free syrup, and a bit of Stevia. My big-o cup of coffee is all of 40 calories or less.

Thanks! I will look into that.

FYI, I usually drink it black but like "fun" coffee on occasion. I have tried Torani and liked it. I think it tastes the same as Davinci. But then I tried Jordan's Skinny Syrups and I swear they taste better even though they all seem to have about the same ingredients. If I accidentally use too much Torani, I notice an artificial taste. With Jordan's I don't. You may want to give it a try sometime. They're also cheaper. $3.99 a bottle at Home Goods (the cheapest place I've found them) vs. $5.99 for Torani and Davinci.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I like moderately strong Italian/German coffee brands, like Lavazza and Dallmayr. I get them from Amazon. I cut out as much saturated fat from my diet as I possibly could in prep for a cholesterol re-screening (long story..), and got used to black coffee in about 4-5 days. I can't drink it any other way now - I find the mouthful too oily.