Are you hitting your fiber macros and how important is it?

Options
I added fiber as a macro about two weeks ago and I am finding hitting my daily fiber number almost impossible.

I did it for the first time today adding chia seeds to all three of my meals in addition to a day which included oats and veggies. This doesn't really feel sustainable, particularly for someone like me who likes to add treats and yummy things to my day. Hitting the fiber number means zero chance at any treat on that day. High fiber diet is starting to look rather fun free.

Unless I am doing it wrong.

Any tips? My diary is open. Any recipes you see (the overnight oats for example) I have built myself and have been carefully measured.

I have struggled with an irregular tummy for many years and a higher fiber content has definitely helped in this regard. Not sure how much is enough though, to get the health perks, or even if the pursuit of that number is even desirable.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm always above on fiber. A little too much considering I'm too low on fat (my macros are a mess sometimes). I eat quest bars and lots of veggies. You can look at my diary if you'd like.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    More beans. They're a filling addition to salads. But really, if 20 cals' worth of chia seeds are upsetting you, you're doing it wrong. I don't know how large your deficit is, but you should be able to eat more than 1220 and lose steadily. Are you in a hurry for a reason? The faster you go, the more muscle mass you lose (I am speaking from experience).
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Eat more fiber dense foods....

Fruit (berries in particular)
    Green Veggies
    Beans
    Legumes
    Whole Grains (cereal, bread)
    Sweet Potato

etc...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't even worry about it with such a small goal. Do you exercise at all? You need to eat some of those calories back. 1200 calories is unnecessary for 95% of people who want to lose wait (unless you're 60+ and sedentary, pretty much).

Heck I'd never be able to eat any treat without starving with such a low goal (and I'd probably starve even without treats, frankly).
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I just recently started focusing on fiber, and I agree with you- it's tough! My daily goal is 25 grams but I've been trying to hit 30/day. I try to get it from more natural sources like beans, legumes, and produce, but I do have a Fiber One bar or some All Bran now and then.

Lentils are a really good source of fiber. I've started substituting lentils in lieu of pasta or other grains in recipes (or do half and half). Blackberries have a ton of fiber for very low calories. Sweet potatoes are also a decent source, and whole grains instead of white flour grains will help boost it also.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I try to do an apple a day and almonds too but I know they are high-calorie and may not fit your diary. Sometimes you can sneak in a little more by eating things like a high-fiber English muffin over a standard English muffin. And just as important to the fiber is keeping hydrated which aids all things intestinal :-) Best of luck....
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I go above every day, but I also go above sometimes in fat. I like chia and flax seeds and nuts. Try to eat your fruits and veggies as whole as possible. Beans are high fiber. Eat skins when feasible. Have a little treat every day, of course, if it keeps you motivated. I made 6 calorie sorbet bites with sugar. I look forward to them.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Fiber is fairly easy for me to get (my average is around 27-32g, though today I'm in the 50s. Looks like I better give everyone around me a gas mask) while keeping to a 1300-1400 calorie goal. Some of my go-to high-fiber foods include:
    • Dry roasted edamame - 10g fiber for 40g serving
    • Black beans - 11g fiber per 130g serving
    • Strawberries - 3g fiber per 150g serving
    • Blueberries - 3g fiber per 140g serving
    • Broccoli - 5g fiber per 150g serving. Cauliflower and asparagus are also fairly high in fiber.
    • Raw spinach -2g fiber per 70g serving
    • Atkins products - 5-12g fiber (depending on what I'm eating -I like the pizzas and breakfast sandwiches for whenever my blood sugars are making me eat low-carb)
    • Super dark (85-90%) chocolate - 2g fiber per 12-13g serving
    • Bran flakes - 5g fiber per 30g serving
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    At this point, I'm primarily interested in making sure I get enough protein to maintain or build muscle. But I've also been interested recently in fiber. Chia seeds are too calorie dense for me (and they are messy), and it is tough to get both fiber and 150g protein without getting too many calories (beans just aren't going to do it for me, sorry). So I often use fiber supplements / powders.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am really good at hitting my fiber macro and am usually over. It is extremely important because it helps control blood sugar and the insoluble fiber is needed for proper intestinal function. Low fiber high fat diets are one of the risk factors for colon cancer and my father died of colon cancer so it is doubly important to me.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm always way over my fibre goal, I average 35-40g a day easily. Beans and veggies are key, I also add flaxseed to my porridge every morning to boost the iron, magnesium etc but it adds fibre too. Have a look at what your intake generally averages then try to up it by a few grams each week. :)
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I feel like fiber is the most important goal to hit. I don't have any issues with that one. I eat a mostly plant-based diet though. Lots of greens, veggies, legumes, potatoes, rice, fruit, etc. Eat more plants and you'll have no problem.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I just realized yesterday that quest bars have an insane amount of fiber. 68% of daily value. 20 grams of protein and only 150-190 calories depending on the flavor.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I found losing weight much easier when I went high fiber at my doctor's suggestion. She suggested I strive for 45g per day. I don't alway hit that but most days I do or come close. The best find for me was Fiber Gourmet brand pasta. It's 1/2 the calories of regular pasta, isn't a vegetable I'm pretending is pasta, and has 20g of fiber per 2 oz serving. I now eat a big plate of pasta 3-4 times a week. It's a bit more expensive, but worth it to me.

Bran Buds cereal is also something I eat pretty often. I make parfaits with greek yogurt, fruit and Bran Buds. Sweet and high in fiber and protein.

Other things that bring my fiber up are beans, fruits, vegetables. I add beans to salads, soups, nachos, burritos, etc.

Some days I get more than 50g of sugar on 1300 calories. I tried chia seeds but they are so high calorie and not very tasty. Plus, they are very expensive. I like ground flax seen better. I make high fiber buckwheat flax pancakes every weekend.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    well Fibre is a micro, not a macro.. But one thing's for certain, if I don't have enough, my body and my toilet sure know it.
    If I have enough, and actually have 'too much' I don't really have issues though. So I try stick to having all my fibre rich foods I can throughout the day.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Snow3y wrote: »
    well Fibre is a micro, not a macro.. But one thing's for certain, if I don't have enough, my body and my toilet sure know it.
    If I have enough, and actually have 'too much' I don't really have issues though. So I try stick to having all my fibre rich foods I can throughout the day.

The only thing that I noticed was when I first started paying attention and eating more fiber. I had a couple of days "adjustment". I also have some effects if I eat more than one Quest bar in a day.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Is fiber a micronutrient? It's a type of carb, which is a macronutrient, but obviously not the only type.
  • chriskangell
    chriskangell Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think the foods on your diary are wrong. How does "Woolworths - Fresh Cauliflowet & Gruyere Soup, 305 g" have 0g fiber but "Woolworths - Smoked pork fillet with mozzarella and spring onion, 250 g" have 9g of fiber? Surely the "Cauliflowet" (sic) soup should have *some* fiber.

I'd add more chia seeds; 5g/20 calories a pop isn't going to cut it (though I see sometimes you do that multiple times a day, which seems good).

As for myself, I blow through my fiber goal every day (I don't even need to pay attention to it) by eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and by not eating much meat (sometimes I eat fish). It's going to be harder for you because your goal is 1200 calories a day (mine is 1900, and I'll eat 2500+ if I burn 1000+ calories working out).
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

The only thing that I noticed was when I first started paying attention and eating more fiber. I had a couple of days "adjustment". I also have some effects if I eat more than one Quest bar in a day.

I actually wish there was less fiber in quest bars. I've been eating them for a while and had no idea they had so much. I get plenty of fiber in my diet and don't need an extra 34 grams if I eat an extra couple for the protein.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I just realized yesterday that quest bars have an insane amount of fiber. 68% of daily value. 20 grams of protein and only 150-190 calories depending on the flavor.

Interesting. I rarely eat bars of any kind, but I may check these out.