I'm at 40% too.

Maybe we are all low carb now!

Me, too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How much less carbs? I reduced carbs gradually to around 40% and didn't have a problem, but if you reduced them drastically, quickly, sure, you can experience things like "low carb flu."

You may wish to check out the Low Carb group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

But I always thought that you consider yourself low carb @kshama2001 don't you?

I only ask because I regularly eat 40-50% carbs and I really don't think anything I do is close to low carb

Of am I confusing you with someone else

I often mention having lowered carbs which seems to have given a lot of people the impression that I am low carb, which I am not.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Carbs at 40% for me too.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How much less carbs? I reduced carbs gradually to around 40% and didn't have a problem, but if you reduced them drastically, quickly, sure, you can experience things like "low carb flu."

You may wish to check out the Low Carb group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

But I always thought that you consider yourself low carb @kshama2001 don't you?

I only ask because I regularly eat 40-50% carbs and I really don't think anything I do is close to low carb

Of am I confusing you with someone else

I often mention having lowered carbs which seems to have given a lot of people the impression that I am low carb, which I am not.

Cool :bigsmile:

I must have missed the "ered" ...don't mind me, I'm new to reading ;)
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    cld111 wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    It is true for some people, not you maybe. Definitely true for me. When I have a craving it is never for something high protein, it is ALWAYS for carbs. Sometimes I crave cheese, but more often it's bread, cakes, crackers or cookies.

I don't understand why these things always get thrown into the carbs category when they are mostly fat?

For instance, a chocolate chip cookie is about 3% of the RDA of carbs and 6% of the RDA of fat. Cake is 17% carbs and 25% fat.

It just drives me a little batty because then whole food carbs like potatoes and rice get thrown in with these other types of carbs (fats) and people avoid them even though they are good for you.

So fat is the problem for you. Not me. People differ.

No, I just don't think cake, pizza, ice cream and cookies should be labeled as carbs when they are more fat than carbs. It gives real, whole carbs a bad wrap for no reason.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    And lots of time people will say they crave carbs and mention fast food or mac&cheese or pizza or mashed potatoes (with cream and butter) or cake, all foods that contain lots of fat too.

I know very few people who want plain pasta without anything on it, let alone sugar from the jar.

Do Pixie Stix count?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I do think I do well restricting my carb intake somewhat and balancing that with protein. I do terrible when my fat macro is high, though. I've mentioned this a number of times on the forums, but I'll say it again that in my experience fat is not satiating for me. I love fat, but I try to keep it at a reasonable level for my intake because once it goes out of balance and comes at the expense of my protein intake, I feel famished. I love avocado's and nuts, for example, but I really have to watch out on days I consume either that my macros stay balanced or I'll feel very hungry and miserable.

This is exactly me too.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It is true for some people, not you maybe. Definitely true for me. When I have a craving it is never for something high protein, it is ALWAYS for carbs. Sometimes I crave cheese, but more often it's bread, cakes, crackers or cookies.

I don't understand why these things always get thrown into the carbs category when they are mostly fat?

For instance, a chocolate chip cookie is about 3% of the RDA of carbs and 6% of the RDA of fat. Cake is 17% carbs and 25% fat.

It just drives me a little batty because then whole food carbs like potatoes and rice get thrown in with these other types of carbs (fats) and people avoid them even though they are good for you.

That's not what she's saying at all. She's saying that the foods people often cite being "addicted" to are full of fat, too - so why are we assuming that carbs are the issue?

If you crave carbs, wouldn't you crave all carbs? Like potatoes, vegetables, dried fruits? It seems there's a clearer correlation between "cravings" and fat vs "cravings" and carbs. IMO, anyway. And perhaps when people go low carb, they generally up their fat, and their "cravings" are reduced because their fat intake is up.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

That's not what she's saying at all. She's saying that the foods people often cite being "addicted" to are full of fat, too - so why are we assuming that carbs are the issue?

If you crave carbs, wouldn't you crave all carbs? Like potatoes, vegetables, dried fruits? It seems there's a clearer correlation between "cravings" and fat vs "cravings" and carbs. IMO, anyway. And perhaps when people go low carb, they generally up their fat, and their "cravings" are reduced because their fat intake is up.

I like how you logic
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

It's an interesting point but there is some indication that sugar is unique in it's ability to induce cravings -- the milkshake study from a year or two comes to mind. That, and I just tend to believe people when they say carbs and sugar are the issue. I imagine that by the time they get to MFP seeking help they've been dealing with their issue long enough to know.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

It's an interesting point but there is some indication that sugar is unique in it's ability to induce cravings -- the milkshake study from a year or two comes to mind. That, and I just tend to believe people when they say carbs and sugar are the issue. I imagine that by the time they get to MFP seeking help they've been dealing with their issue long enough to know.

I knew so much before I came to the forums of MFP...it amazes me how much I've succeeded in forgetting :)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm at 40% too.

Maybe we are all low carb now!

Me too!
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

And I think they are latching onto the current craze.

I mean, if you google "how to lose weight" the very first thing listed is "eat low carb". Carbs and sugar are the current "bad" food, like fat was in the 80's.

I think humans are, more often than not, looking for things to blame when we make bad choices. It's much easier to say "I'm addicted to carbs" than "I didn't control myself very well". One places blame on something external, the other internal.

Again, all of this is my opinion.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

I knew so much before I came to the forums of MFP...it amazes me how much I've succeeded in forgetting :)

I saw in the moderation thread you've been on and off a whole host of different diets over the last 30 years so I can only imagine. I'm happy you were able to ditch everything that didn't apply. It's an amazing feeling to finally discover what works and I hope you have continued success. :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I saw in the moderation thread you've been on and off a whole host of different diets over the last 30 years so I can only imagine. I'm happy you were able to ditch everything that didn't apply. It's an amazing feeling to finally discover what works and I hope you have continued success. :smile:

Why thank you

You too :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

I mean, if you google "how to lose weight" the very first thing listed is "eat low carb". Carbs and sugar are the current "bad" food, like fat was in the 80's.

I think humans are, more often than not, looking for things to blame when we make bad choices. It's much easier to say "I'm addicted to carbs" than "I didn't control myself very well". One places blame on something external, the other internal.

Yes, one of the reasons the 12 step model never worked for me because I could never get past the need to admit I was powerless, because I was not and am not powerless. I chose to do [insert addictive thing here], and I chose to stop doing it.

Maybe this is why we're always arguing over whether sugar is addictive - perhaps some people define addictive as something you are powerless over and don't see how one can be powerless over sugar. I agree - we're not powerless over sugar...or booze, or whatever.

(I have spent quite a bit of time in 12 step meetings with friends, and am not recommending against it for anyone who finds it helpful.)

• TheVirgoddess
    Options

Yes, one of the reasons the 12 step model never worked for me because I could never get past the need to admit I was powerless, because I was not and am not powerless. I chose to do [insert addictive thing here], and I chose to stop doing it.

Maybe this is why we're always arguing over whether sugar is addictive - perhaps some people define addictive as something you are powerless over and don't see how one can be powerless over sugar. I agree - we're not powerless over sugar...or booze, or whatever.

(I have spent quite a bit of time in 12 step meetings with friends, and am not recommending against it for anyone who finds it helpful.)

Do you believe addiction exists?
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you crave carbs, wouldn't you crave all carbs? Like potatoes, vegetables, dried fruits?

Not necessarily. If I crave carbs, I want the fast-acting stuff (simple carbs). Potatoes and vegetables would be slower to digest than, say, a slice of plain, soft white bread, or a couple of cookies, or a bag of Skittles. The combination of sugar (or quickly-digested white-flour products) and fat seems to be uniquely enticing.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I do think the combo of sugar, salt and fat can be an addicting combo for some people, and food manufacturers know this. (Read the book Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss for an inside look on that issue.) I understand why people binge (myself included) and can't stop eating certain foods sometimes. But it's not because of carbs by themselves. Carbs are a necessary component to living well.