Ladies: Let's Talk About Knickers

Options
As you could probably tell, this post is about underwear.

Dudes, unless you have intimate insight and personal experience with showing-pantylines and squat-wedgies, this topic is not directed at you. :p

Anyway, ladies of MyFitnessPal... WTH underwear do you wear to the gym?!

This struggle has been so real for me lately, seriously.
I wear tight athletic capri's to the gym, and hate my pantyline showing (yeah, tacky, but also unflattering to the boo-tay), yet haven't found the miraculous underwear that I can jog in without having to remove from my nether-regions, and squat/lunge/kick/etc. in without the same effect.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to thongs, I just haven't found a style that you can't see the hem of through my pants, and don't ride up my bum during workouts.

Any advice? What do you guys wear? HOW DO I OVERCOME THIS CONSTANT STRUGGLE??!

Thanks in advance, guys! <3

MacKenzie

Replies

• BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Massive Bridget Jones pants are the only way to go in the gym and indeed all other times except in the bedroom!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Either don't wear any, or else I find a not-too-tight boyshort style shows less and is more comfortable than a thong.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I personally just wear shorts that won't show panty lines.
    They are tight, but made from thicker material. Probably cotton.
    Especially if you get them with print, the panty lines won't really be visible.

ETA: something like this, but then not as short.
    57904602_xxl.jpg
  • eatgoodeat
    eatgoodeat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    Either don't wear any, or else I find a not-too-tight boyshort style shows less and is more comfortable than a thong.
    +1
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Champion makes these undies that look like boxer-briefs for men except they are for women and fit tightly. That is working for me.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I go commando
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I wear thongs in the gym and I haven't noticed that they're visible through my pants. I also wear thongs with tiny, tight shorts made of thin cotton without being able to see them, and I just wear cheap Walmart or Target thongs - not with the strings or lace or anything like that. So I'm not sure how you're seeing a hem. Is it the hem on the top of your butt crack or on the sides?

As for comfort, I haven't noticed regular thongs with tight capris being a problem for me, even on leg day or during cardio sessions. If it does ride up, I lift in my garage gym, so I could technically extract any front wedgies without people giving me weird looks, but I don't think I usually have the need to do that.

I used to hate thongs and never understood how girls could say they're comfortable. Maybe they grew on me. I'm not going commando in workout clothes, though, so they're really my only option to avoid pantylines.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I wear the C9 compression stuff from target and the material is on the thinner side. I just don't wear anything under them. I wore a thong one time and it was the most miserable squat session ever. I've heard some of the Under Armour styles are comfortable and there are other brands that make athletic underwear, but I've never wanted to spend $15-$30 for one pair. That's like an entire workout outfit!
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Sloggi maxi briefs. I swear by them. They're the only ones that don't fall down while running. I put them on and then I never notice them till I take them off again.
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I wear a long t-shirt. And I've come to the conclusion that whoever is having problems with seeing my undie-lines can just stop staring at my *ss. -shrugs- Was super freaked out about it at first though, but after a few times at the gym I realized no one was really paying attention to my *ss - whoever was looking at me was looking at my form and moves. :P
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Aren't you at the gym to workout...why are you worrying about a pantyline showing #getyourprioritiesinorder
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym, the last thing I worry about is panty lines (I'm drenched in sweat, probably stink, am breathing hard, etc., I'm not a pretty sight at the gym). Maybe just wear something comfortable (that doesn't ride up, etc.) and try not to worry about it? Or (and I admit this doesn't work for everyone, but I'm relatively short and it does for me), wear a large T-shirt that hangs down past your hips?
  • sombrefawn
    sombrefawn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    All lace boy-cut panties show no seams for me. Also, you might want to just look up No-Show or Seamless Panties. Here's a link to ones at VS https://www.victoriassecret.com/panties/no-show-and-seamless
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I don't care fashion-wise, but squat wedgies aren't cool. I wear running shorts that have the built-in liner and no knickers.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If something is causing that much of a problem - why bother with it? Ditch the knickers and be free! Imagine, no more calling in the "jaw's of life" to get the dreaded wedge out of the nether regions!
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Fit_Fox88 wrote: »
    I wear the C9 compression stuff from target and the material is on the thinner side. I just don't wear anything under them. I wore a thong one time and it was the most miserable squat session ever. I've heard some of the Under Armour styles are comfortable and there are other brands that make athletic underwear, but I've never wanted to spend $15-$30 for one pair. That's like an entire workout outfit!

Yep. That was the other thing I forgot to mention... How do I get around this issue, without paying $15+ for a single pair of specialized underwear? Ggrr...

I'm too self conscious of my legs to wear shorts of any kind at the gym, especially during cardio.. but I'll have to look into some of these other ideas, thanks ladies!!
    I wear thongs in the gym and I haven't noticed that they're visible through my pants. I also wear thongs with tiny, tight shorts made of thin cotton without being able to see them, and I just wear cheap Walmart or Target thongs - not with the strings or lace or anything like that. So I'm not sure how you're seeing a hem. Is it the hem on the top of your butt crack or on the sides?

As for comfort, I haven't noticed regular thongs with tight capris being a problem for me, even on leg day or during cardio sessions. If it does ride up, I lift in my garage gym, so I could technically extract any front wedgies without people giving me weird looks, but I don't think I usually have the need to do that.

I used to hate thongs and never understood how girls could say they're comfortable. Maybe they grew on me. I'm not going commando in workout clothes, though, so they're really my only option to avoid pantylines.

I think my pants just don't have thick enough of material to conceal the thong line, or I just need to find some of those no-show laser-cut thongs without a real hem.

Front wedgies: The. Worst.

I hated thongs when I was bigger, now I don't have a single issue with them. I thought they were just universally uncomfortable, but after losing weight I changed my tune. I'm a little sketched out being commando at the gym, even in pants. But if that's the only way to avoid this ridiculousness, maybe I'll have to change my tune there as well. >_>
  • KenziesFrenzies
    Options
    Aren't you at the gym to workout...why are you worrying about a pantyline showing #getyourprioritiesinorder

#WhyDontYouReadTheOriginalPost
    #NotDirectedAtYouBro

buhbye.gif
  • ashmarie1083
    ashmarie1083 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't really think about it. I honestly don't like wearing thongs when working out because they all just ride up my *ss too much and it's uncomfortable. I wear granny panties and couldn't care less about who's looking at any panty lines there are or aren't.
    In my opinion, if they're looking at that, then I'm doing something right ;-)
  • KenziesFrenzies
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I don't care fashion-wise, but squat wedgies aren't cool. I wear running shorts that have the built-in liner and no knickers.

There's nothing worse than being distracted from my workout (or having to pause and adjust things) by my stupid underwear. I haven't heard of this built-in liner sorcery, will check out!
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I wear nothing (although risk of gross pants wedgie after a lot of squats) or nice, big, comfortable, panty-line-showing undies that actually fulfill the original duty of underwear: covering one's a$s. Perhaps I would feel differently if I were single and thought someone was looking, but I don't think panty lines are of any concern at all at the gym. In the office, at dinner, when going out on the town, sure, but I agree with the previous comments about being sweaty and gross at the gym...