Carbohydrate Addiction

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, I should remind everyone that OP's post didn't have anything to do with cravings or having trouble not eating carbs (or fat). He had cut carbs (and presumably calories) some unidentified amount and wanted to know if his resulting low energy was the sign of a "carb addiction."

Almost no one is talking about anything like that, not since the first page of this thread.

Haha, no he didn't mention cravings at all, poor OP :) everybody joining in the party and forgettig the host :p

Guilty.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    If you crave carbs, wouldn't you crave all carbs? Like potatoes, vegetables, dried fruits?

Not necessarily. If I crave carbs, I want the fast-acting stuff (simple carbs). Potatoes and vegetables would be slower to digest than, say, a slice of plain, soft white bread, or a couple of cookies, or a bag of Skittles. The combination of sugar (or quickly-digested white-flour products) and fat seems to be uniquely enticing.

Apples and diary are simple carbs.

I don't know that I'd say that. Simple carbs will "melt" on your tongue due to amylase in your saliva. A piece of apple does not melt on the tongue the way sugar does or refined flour. A piece of cheese does not melt on your tongue. I'm not claiming to be an expert, it was just my understanding that "ingestible in the mouth without chewing" was the usual definition of simple carbs.

Edit to add: thinking more, I'm not sure highly refined white flour is a simple carb. I think its molecule chain is still a bit too complex to be ingested completely in the mouth. Please see comment below.

Simple sugars are monosaccharides and disaccharides and complex sugars are oligosaccharides and polysacchrides. Many sources of fruit and honey are monosaccharides, and milk is a disaccharide. While cake, is a polysacchrides.

If you would like to know a little more on sugars, you can please reference this article

And cheese is fat and a little protein.. I don't even know why that is labeled as "sugar" because it's not.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    cld111 wrote: »
    It is true for some people, not you maybe. Definitely true for me. When I have a craving it is never for something high protein, it is ALWAYS for carbs. Sometimes I crave cheese, but more often it's bread, cakes, crackers or cookies.

I don't understand why these things always get thrown into the carbs category when they are mostly fat?

For instance, a chocolate chip cookie is about 3% of the RDA of carbs and 6% of the RDA of fat. Cake is 17% carbs and 25% fat.

It just drives me a little batty because then whole food carbs like potatoes and rice get thrown in with these other types of carbs (fats) and people avoid them even though they are good for you.

Because they're not mostly fat. I don't know what kind of chocolate cake you eat, but the stuff I eat is 57% carbs and 39% fat. Chocolate chip cookie: 53% carbs and 43% fat. Yes, a lot of fat, but not "mostly" fat. I don't think anyone in this thread is talking about craving carbs like potatoes, rice, beans, fruits or vegetables. They're talking about carbs that are also high in fat. But still carbs.
    A typical chocolate chip cookie has double the RDA of fat compared to carbs and more calories from fat (at 9 per gram instead of 4) than from carbs.

• psuLemon
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Medically speaking, no. Carb addiction has not be verified as real.

That being said, carbs affect people in ways that fats and proteins don't, and can be linked to cravings and over eating in some people. No kid ever cries for another steak or an extra pat of butter on their veggies. They do cry over lollipops and pop. Carbs, high sugar carbs especially, are different.

Carbs DO do something to some people. Those with insulin resitsance (T2 diabetes) may well feel greater hunger due to their different hormone levels. I think they may be affected the most by carbs.

IMO, carbs are not technically an addiction (for some people) but it appears to not be benign for everyone either.

I have a difficult time moderating carbs. I am also prediabetic and have other health issues, so I chose to go very low carb. For me there was a period of around 10 days or so of adjustment (keto flu as lemurcat said). Once I got through that my distracting carb cravings were virtually gone, and I know I didn't just break a habit as it takes longer for that.

Talking about carbs as an addiction is stirring the hornets' nest around here... Good luck. ;)

Do you even steak? lol.

In all seriousness, the majority of men I know would rather have salty foods than sweet foods. I have frequently foregone desert for more steak, wings, lamb, veal, etc.. In fact, if it's not a Klondike, I barely have desert.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If you crave carbs, wouldn't you crave all carbs? Like potatoes, vegetables, dried fruits?

Not necessarily. If I crave carbs, I want the fast-acting stuff (simple carbs). Potatoes and vegetables would be slower to digest than, say, a slice of plain, soft white bread, or a couple of cookies, or a bag of Skittles. The combination of sugar (or quickly-digested white-flour products) and fat seems to be uniquely enticing.

Yes, some of these high glycemic load foods are problematic for me:

Foods with a high glycemic load of 20 or more:

High-sugar beverages
    Candy
    Sweetened fruit juices
    Couscous
    White rice
    White pasta
    French fries and baked potatoes
    Low-fiber cereals (high in added sugar)
    Macaroni and cheese
    Pizza
    Raisins and dates

But what about figs?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It is true for some people, not you maybe. Definitely true for me. When I have a craving it is never for something high protein, it is ALWAYS for carbs. Sometimes I crave cheese, but more often it's bread, cakes, crackers or cookies.

I don't understand why these things always get thrown into the carbs category when they are mostly fat?

For instance, a chocolate chip cookie is about 3% of the RDA of carbs and 6% of the RDA of fat. Cake is 17% carbs and 25% fat.

It just drives me a little batty because then whole food carbs like potatoes and rice get thrown in with these other types of carbs (fats) and people avoid them even though they are good for you.

Because they're not mostly fat. I don't know what kind of chocolate cake you eat, but the stuff I eat is 57% carbs and 39% fat. Chocolate chip cookie: 53% carbs and 43% fat. Yes, a lot of fat, but not "mostly" fat. I don't think anyone in this thread is talking about craving carbs like potatoes, rice, beans, fruits or vegetables. They're talking about carbs that are also high in fat. But still carbs.
    A typical chocolate chip cookie has double the RDA of fat compared to carbs and more calories from fat (at 9 per gram instead of 4) than from carbs.

Call them whatever you want. It doesn't matter. Semantics. I call them carbs. The point is, they tend to make you want more and more. Because they are manufactured to, but that's another thread derailment that I won't get into.
  • psuLemon
    edited July 2015
    Options

Call them whatever you want. It doesn't matter. Semantics. I call them carbs. The point is, they tend to make you want more and more. Because they are manufactured to, but that's another thread derailment that I won't get into.

They don't do the same thing for everyone. If anything, you have probably associated them with comfort and reward. For me, those would be burgers, steaks, boneless wings and Klondikes

• mccindy72
    Options

A cookie is manufactured to make you want more? I don't manufacture cookies, I bake them. They're pretty good, but it's up to the people eating them how many they eat. There's no devious design in the recipe.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    so many people equate lack of self control with addiction...it's ludicrous. people just don't like taking personal responsibility for the most part...

now if you'll excuse me, I need to go get my cherry fix on before I get the shakes....oh yeah...that's the stuff....fecking cracked out on cherries now...feelin' good...

Also any craving, and any instance of being out of control due to alcohol or drug use.

"I want a cookie so bad, I'm, like, ADDICTED to them"

"The last couple of times I got drunk I slept with someone I wouldn't have otherwise. I'm an ALCOHOLIC"

Utterly thoughtless.

Is it here you are seeing this trivialization of addiction or elsewhere?

Now you are clearly baiting. Wonderful if that's how you have fun, but try it with someone else. I'm not interested.

I'm very pleased that you appreciated my response to you so much that you copied and pasted it here. I'm flattered.

A nothing response to a sincere question, very cleverly worded as well. I'll re-use it often!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I feel much, much better on a high-carb diet. I like some eggs or cottage cheese, but could live the rest of my life without meat and be happy. Most of protein comes from non-meat sources and some of them are high-carb.

If the carbs work for you, eat them up. If low-carb is for you, go for it.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    It seems people can get a mental aversion to anything

Take an abnormal psychology class

I know some people are more carb burners and some are have a slight higher fat to carb mix as far as how their mitochondria sources fuel

That is a physical response to conditioning and not an addiction

I do think diet industry hype has created a food vocabulary that is sensationalism at its finest geared to sell the next great product to save us from some demonized food

But no, I doubt carb addiction. And I eat a lower carb nutrition strategy
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

That being said, carbs affect people in ways that fats and proteins don't, and can be linked to cravings and over eating in some people. No kid ever cries for another steak or an extra pat of butter on their veggies. They do cry over lollipops and pop. Carbs, high sugar carbs especially, are different.

Carbs DO do something to some people. Those with insulin resitsance (T2 diabetes) may well feel greater hunger due to their different hormone levels. I think they may be affected the most by carbs.

IMO, carbs are not technically an addiction (for some people) but it appears to not be benign for everyone either.

I have a difficult time moderating carbs. I am also prediabetic and have other health issues, so I chose to go very low carb. For me there was a period of around 10 days or so of adjustment (keto flu as lemurcat said). Once I got through that my distracting carb cravings were virtually gone, and I know I didn't just break a habit as it takes longer for that.

Talking about carbs as an addiction is stirring the hornets' nest around here... Good luck. ;)

Do you even steak? lol.

In all seriousness, the majority of men I know would rather have salty foods than sweet foods. I have frequently foregone desert for more steak, wings, lamb, veal, etc.. In fact, if it's not a Klondike, I barely have desert.

True. It seems to me that carbs are often more of an issue for women.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

It wasn't semantics when you said, "Because they're not mostly fat," but now it's semantics when, yeah, they kinda are? Gotcha.

I'm at 43.5% carbs, so I probably missed the low-carb cutoff point.

To the extent I crave anything, it's chips and salsa -- carbs, but also salty and very spicy -- and grilled meat. Am I addicted to the endorphins from eating habaneros and ghost peppers?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    For those who find carbs to be a particular issue, do you still try to hit suggested fiber targets, while minimizing your carb intake?
  • mccindy72
    Options

Do you even steak? lol.

Um... what?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Do you even steak? lol.

Um... what?

I said, it seems to me that carbs are often more of an issue for women.... I didn't say ALL women, I didn't say it was true for ALL men. I stated how it appears to me. Chill.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Yes, some of these high glycemic load foods are problematic for me:

Foods with a high glycemic load of 20 or more:

High-sugar beverages
    Candy
    Sweetened fruit juices
    Couscous
    White rice
    White pasta
    French fries and baked potatoes
    Low-fiber cereals (high in added sugar)
    Macaroni and cheese
    Pizza
    Raisins and dates

But what about figs?

100 g of figs have an estimated glycemic load of 6.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    For those who find carbs to be a particular issue, do you still try to hit suggested fiber targets, while minimizing your carb intake?

Yes, I was 2 grams away from hitting fiber yesterday.

(It's not all carbs that are an issue, more high glycemic load foods.)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Grandma is such a pusher!