Curious - What are your macros?

Options
nvmomketo
nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
Just curious. What are your macros set up like? Roughly? There's a lot of back and forth based on these so I'm wondering where most people are coming from and if you would label your diet (high carb, South Beach, Atkins, etc) based on your macros?

I know mine are different than most. Mine are roughly this:

Carbs - 5%
Fat - 75%
Protein - 20%

Fibre is under 25g, and sugar is usually under 15g.

I consider myself to eat LCHF.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't really know because I don't log...when I did log I was basically 40c/30p/30f...considering I eat pretty much the same way I did when I lost weight, it's probably somewhere in that neighborhood...but probably a lower % protein and higher % carbs in maintenance.

I consider my diet to be well balanced and consisting of highly nutritious foods. I eat a *kitten* ton of veggies, a few servings of fruit, plenty of oats, quinoa, brown rice, potatoes, legumes, lentils, etc...mostly lean sourced protein and I get most of my fats from things like almonds, avocados, avocado oil, olive oil, etc.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Wow, carbs are super-low! Do you have enough energy throughout the day? Mine are:

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

A very kind fitness expert who belongs to the site helped me set mine. I'm a small-framed 64 YO F, 5'4". I also did a little research and I think mine are great for me.

Curious as to why you have Cs so low and F so high?
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I do 50% Carbs, 25% Fat, and 25% Protein.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Protein is set to 100-120g. I divide up carbs and fat based on my current calorie goal. Generally my carbs come out to around 50-60%. Always over 200. I have to consciously eat more fat usually.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    slp51 wrote: »
    Wow, carbs are super-low! Do you have enough energy throughout the day? Mine are:

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

A very kind fitness expert who belongs to the site helped me set mine. I'm a small-framed 64 YO F, 5'4". I also did a little research and I think mine are great for me.

low carb is all the rage...
  • nvmomketo
    Options

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

No problems with energy, at all. I actually feel better this way than when my carbs were higher and I was eating too much - I think a combination of the two issues was my problem.
    I went LC and HF to deal with higher than I'd like blood glucose issues and autoimmune problems. It's working so far.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

If you throw in my gluten free diet (due to celiac disease), then I guess my diet is the "it" thing. Yep, it's all about staying with the trends...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein. I don't label it any particular way and am open to my calories adjusting somewhat differently if I raise my calories again--more likely to somewhat more carbs, as I really don't need more protein and am satisfied with my fat level and tend to find adding in some carbs beneficial to my fitness pursuits.

I don't label this; it's pretty much just how I like to eat.
  • cwolfman13
    edited July 2015
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

If you throw in my gluten free diet (due to celiac disease), then I guess my diet is the "it" thing. Yep, it's all about staying with the trends...

simply commenting for the sake of the poster that low carb is all the rage right now...carbs are the latest and greatest dietary demon...google anything to do with weight loss currently and you're going to find low carb, low carb, low carb everywhere...there are valid reasons to low carb...but most people I know in the real world are just suckers for whatever the industry is going to throw out there...a lot of people here too...thus all of the carbs are the devil threads and whatnot.

people are generally ignorant...thus the current gluten free craze...and yes, there are valid reasons...but most people getting on that band wagon have no reason...again...ignorance.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

simply commenting for the sake of the poster that low carb is all the rage right now...carbs are the latest and greatest dietary demon...google anything to do with weight loss currently and you're going to find low carb, low carb, low carb everywhere...there are valid reasons to low carb...but most people I know in the real world are just suckers for whatever the industry is going to throw out there...a lot of people here too...thus all of the carbs are the devil threads and whatnot.

people are generally ignorant.

My apologies then. I thought you were implying that I ate this way to be trendy without any forethought on my part...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    P: 25%
    C: 40%
    F: 35%

After lots of experimenting, this is where I feel happiest.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

people are generally ignorant...thus the current gluten free craze...and yes, there are valid reasons...but most people getting on that band wagon have no reason...again...ignorance.

For some of us in the US, about 2/3 of us in fact, carbohydrate levels need taming. Please don't mock and undermine those who need to restrict carbs.

Obesity and diabetes are at epidemic levels. While this epidemic was developing we as a nation increased carbohydrate intake as a percent of diet about 20% and decreased proteins and fat percentage. It really isn't as crazy as you are implying to focus on decreasing carb intake. Please respect that.

Mine:
    10% carbs
    20% protein
    70% fat
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

For some of us in the US, about 2/3 of us in fact, carbohydrate levels need taming. Please don't mock and undermine those who need to restrict carbs.

Obesity and diabetes are at epidemic levels. While this epidemic was developing we as a nation increased carbohydrate intake as a percent of diet about 20% and decreased proteins and fat percentage. It really isn't as crazy as you are implying to focus on decreasing carb intake. Please respect that.

Mine:
    10% carbs
    20% protein
    70% fat

I'd love to see studies regarding your statements.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

Mine:
    10% carbs
    20% protein
    70% fat

At the very bottom is a table by macro. I just realized it is only up to 2000.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5304a3.htm
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

Mine:
    10% carbs
    20% protein
    70% fat

At the very bottom is a table by macro. I just realized it is only up to 2000.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5304a3.htm
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm

Thanks - I'll give them a read :)
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Goals: carbs 50, fat 30, protein 20
    Actual carbs 57, fat 30, protein 17

Being vegan makes it hard some days...
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    kvansteen wrote: »
    Goals: carbs 50, fat 30, protein 20
    Actual carbs 57, fat 30, protein 17

Being vegan makes it hard some days...

I can imagine being vegan forces you to be more creative in how you meet your macros. Kudos to you for working at it to find a way!
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    30 carbs, 35 fat, 35 protein
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    15% Carbs
    65% Fat
    20% Protein

I eat LCHF too. My percentages are pretty meaningless really. My main priority is staying under 50g total carbs (too much more than that, too often is a problem for me), I need around 80g protein and then fat for flavor and satiety but those are just loose guidelines -- I mainly focus on eating healthful foods and not really the macros as much. It all seems to work out at the end of the day.