"exercise" for 250+ lbs people (100+ to lose)

Options

Replies

• elos18
    elos18 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I'm 280lbs and at the minute my exercise consists of: swimming once a week (20 laps, takes me about 35-45 mins), badminton once a week (doubles with my partner and friends for an hour) and then I walk my dog anywhere up to 3 miles the rest of the week, occasionally walking our circuit twice on a Sunday. He's a little Pomeranian so I'm careful not to injure him or me
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    thegreatmd wrote: »
    Ohhhhhh... Such good suggestions. Gracias!!
    New music!! I haven't even been using music, Duh!
    Also, thanks to everyone who listed specific videos to look for on YouTube! Lord knows I don't want to waste 3 hours finding decent videos!!!
    So... Music suggestions? Do you walk to the beat, or just listen for motivation?

Any music that you like. I recently bought this music video of Shania Twain and I dance my heart out as I watch her concert. I do follow the beat and I exaggerate my movements, especially my arm movements. I like getting my heart beating faster. Enjoy and be silly while you dance :smile:

• gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I started at 320lbs. I did squats, bench pressed, crunches, attempted push ups, etc.. Yeah I looked and felt silly doing this with a big 'ol gut, but I didn't care.
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I started with these 2 videos from Jillian Michaels - couldn't do everything when I started so just go at your own pace but it's something which can be done at home while watching tv. I've lost more inches in the time I've lifted weights than I did only by walking. My walking has also progressed to light jogging uphill but again this has taken time to build up to. :)

https://youtu.be/XZDCKmgNNyE

https://youtu.be/8zI5EoiYi1c
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was 274, and for 10 weeks I just walked. Once you get used to walking try running on the elliptical
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I was doing pretty vigorous cardio (running at least 5k at a stretch) by 250. Your weight isn't necessarily going to have any bearing on what you can and can't do so much as your stamina....which you would have to gradually build up anyway whether you were 250 or 120 pounds. If you have joint issues because of weight that's a different story, I suppose....but I had no such problems and could easily run circles around all my skinny friends even closer to my top weight of 310. Barring health problems or warnings from your doctor, you should be able to do pretty much anything. Just don't expect it to be comfortable or easy to begin with. That will take time.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I am 250. I walk and use a few machines. I keep a kettle bell by the sofa and use it while I watch tv. I mow our lawn which gets my heart rate up for an hour. My daughter who weighs about 300 dances to fast music. I have also seen her use the elliptical and a treadmill for an hour. Don't let the number on the scale stop you. If we get busy, or busier, That number will go down.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Gym, and pool, are out. Too expensive for this job-seeker! I do have a fitbit. Sometimes it's more frustrating than motivating (an hour bike ride shows up as like 1,200 steps) but I'm on it. :)

I did just see a simple idea i might try; committing to x squats every time I take a bathroom break... Though I loathe squats.

If you loathe squats don't do them, just find something you actual like and do that. You'll stick to exercising if you something you enjoy otherwise it's to easy to quit.

YMCA has scholarships/sliding fee - I know some in my water aqua classes pay a small amount to use all the services plus a ride there if they need it. It's non profit so really help ppl out.

Youtube has chair workouts, Yoga, Zumba, anything you can imagine... Leslie has Walk away the Miles on youtube. If you can walk a minute or 5 minutes or 20 minutes you're exercising...don't let anyone tell you different. Larger sized ppl should be more careful jumping in anything that they feel is too much for them.

Check with your Doc or clinic, there are free programs for learning more about healthy foods, low cost eating, exercise classes etc.

This might be a helpful group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3322-100-pounds-with-no-surgery
  • Sorchya
    Sorchya Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    With a leg acting up already squatting is not really a good idea...too much risk of hurting yourself. But I want to share that at my highest, a few months before I started with MFP, I was about 235 but so out of shape I would get winded after a short walk on level ground (15 minutes maybe) and one set of stairs left me fighting for air. I had had a job where I was sitting most of the time. I changed to a much more active job and also started the walking doing the bit that I could. My kid introduced me to MFP but I almost quit because when I put up an honest post that I was having trouble getting motivated I got a lot of remarks like what you heard from drivers in cars....rude and very discouraging. It is hard when you get that and some folks here have some good ideas. I now can walk and even go to events (like anime conventions) where I do a LOT of walking and have no problem. My knees are much happier too.

So I say keep up the good work and find some enjoyable things that just happen to involve being active. You are doing well!!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Awesome that you're down to exercise. Here's my two cents (based on what worked for me). First, I made sure that I had the eating/calorie counting down. That was based on me wanted to create a baseline and also not wanting to fall into the trap of trying to workout to compensate for undisciplined eating (remember that old motivational poster: "You can't outrun your fork"? Haha) Anyway, once I was regularly hitting my nutritional/calorie goals, I slowly added exercise. I didn't do anything to crazy...just anything that would elevate my heart rate. I bought a heart rate monitor (HRM) so that I could monitor that elevated heart rate, and then I just picked workouts that I thought 1) my large body could handle, and 2) that I thought was easy enough for me to complete yet challenging enough to raise my heart rate.

Anyway, that's two cents from a novice MFP user. :smile: Whatever you choose to do, good luck to you and stick with it! :smile:
  • wwh140
    wwh140 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I still don't do a lot of exercise - trying to get back into the swing of that. I used to (many years ago) be an exercise nut, but lo and behold the years and the pounds have added up and getting back to enjoying exercising is proving to be more of a challenge than I anticipated. When the weather was not great outside I would walk a little on the treadmill - started out with 15 minutes and added a few minutes each time. Now that summer is in full swing I enjoy my time in the pool and try to do at least 30 minutes of water aerobics 3 times a week. The pool is great for low impact and keeping cool. Good luck!
  • zrxsteve62
    zrxsteve62 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started at 337 on 1/1/2015 and set myfitnesspal goals for 2 lbs per week and then augmented it with a 10,000 step per day fitbit goal. I always hit or exceed my daily calorie goals and step goals, and log all my food intake. For my calories I try to do high protein and no processed carbs, sugars, or starchy vegetables. I was 239 this past Sunday so I'm 2 lbs from 100 lbs, and 5 lbs from going from Obese I on the BMI chart to merely 'overweight'. I lost weight very quickly to start, but have stabilized since. At one point I started using a treadmill and started to get shin splints so I backed off and went back to walking. Some of the areas that I walk have athletic fields and I try to walk backwards goal-line to goal-line to help strengthen the 'front' muscles of the calf that are involved in shin splints so I can get to treadmill and not have shin splints.

For me at 337, any type of exercise could potentially cause injuries such as shin splints, back pain, Achilles inflammation, tendinitis, etc. That kind of weight puts a lot of stress on everything, particularly to a body that has been mostly sedentary. In the past, I've started too hard, or pushed too hard only to be stymied by injuries. This time, I've been methodical and looked at it as the long haul journey. While walking doesn't provide high calorie levels, it does the job, particularly when I started. Later on, as I lost weight and got in better shape, walking yields less results but I have the benefit of staying relatively injury free which is key for me.

So my advice is, set a fitbit daily goal and commit to hitting or exceeding it, hit your daily calorie goals, and always log your food. I wish you so much good luck with your journey. Keep your attitude up so you can look waaay downfield to your goals.

Steve

P.S. I only weigh once a week. If I weigh more often I may see poor results such as water weight, etc., and I don't want to have that negativity. When I weigh weekly, there's enough time that I always have a positive result which helps me to keep going.
  • chubbs415706
    chubbs415706 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If they call you a fatass they're probably a miserable piece of *kitten*. When I see people riding a bike when they're overweight I am motivated by them. I'm happy for them! I'm not quite 250 but not far off. I should ride my bike more but I don't... Exercise is hard for me to commit to.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I started C210k at 265 lbs. took 9 weeks to get to 10k.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    At my max weight of 350 pounds (that seems high) I started kick boxing.

So I was told to run on the spot with hand weights while everyone else skipped to avoid damaging my knees etc

And I couldn't do a proper push up, had to be on my knees, but apart from that I was punching, kicking, sit ups, very poor attempts at burpees, jogging around the room, squats etc etc

Out side of kick boxing I was walking on a treadmill, elliptical, strength machines at the gym (less free weight, since the machines seem to guide and help prevent injury)

So from my experience there is a lot you can do, you may just have to modify it a little to avoid injury to your joints.

But I would imagine swimming would be good.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Gym, and pool, are out. Too expensive for this job-seeker! I do have a fitbit. Sometimes it's more frustrating than motivating (an hour bike ride shows up as like 1,200 steps) but I'm on it. :)

I did just see a simple idea i might try; committing to x squats every time I take a bathroom break... Though I loathe squats.

Look for public pools! A lot of them are free (usually outdoor - wear sunscreen!) or $2 (usually indoor). Places like public schools often have public hours if they have pools, or community centres. Look for a website for your city & it would probably have a list of the public places where you can swim, hours, and free/price. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Check the Y. They sometimes give freebie memberships. If your doctor has told you that losing weight would be in your best interest, but you cannot afford a membership, you can probably get a freebie membership.

Anyone can get a free trial membership. So, you could try and see if you want to apply for a freebie one.

Never know until you try! :)
  • lisahenneberry83
    lisahenneberry83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    zidine100 wrote: »
    And I've gotten on the bicycle (it's so fun to have people call you a fatass as they drive by)

While this isn't really on topic, I just wanted to say for every person who calls you that when they go by there are umpteen more cheering you on in their head. Dont let the vocal minority get you down.

agreed!
  • lisahenneberry83
    lisahenneberry83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    weights are gonna be your best friend for losing body fat:) I was where you are. It took years for me to gain the weight and it's taking me about the same to lose it. Don't give up:)
  • konach
    konach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started out at 353 lbs, that was 5 weeks ago, I weighed myself this morning and I have dropped to 324, I picked up DDP Yoga and I have been doing it 3 days a week. I've found that doing that along with making a conscious effort to track what I'm eating has really helped me.