Crunches make me sad.

Options
Ok that's a lie, but I do hate them! And as a result I'm sorely neglecting my core when it comes to my strength routine. I want to remedy this, so I'm wondering if y'all can help me figure out how to work my core without doing crunches (and preferably without lying down at all!).

I do squats and bench press. I know those involve the core, but I want to target it more directly. I use fitnessblender videos sometimes, and they have some standing ab routines that are ok. Anyway I figure I can't be the only one who hates crunches enough that I pretty much just don't do them. And I figure there must be some people who just can't get down on the ground to do ab work. So what advice can you give me?

Replies

• R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help you here. Maybe try this one?
    http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/vertical-abs-workout-6-standing-moves-six-pack/slide/all

Hope this can help you out some :)
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Planks are awesome for your core, and there are a ton of variations for them, so you can mix it up. Bird dogs, v-ups, push-ups, spidermans (spidermen?). Most of these involve getting in the floor, but I promise, no lying on your back, although you will be on your bottom for the v-ups.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Planks
  • DoogCampbell
    DoogCampbell Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Reverse Crunch - looks crazy but works well although this is a ground based on again
    Kneeling Cable Crunch - You have to kneel but you can add resistance so its an easy build for the abs and cos its weighted you don't feel like you are just having to do more volume to do more work.
    Hanging leg raises - you need a bar but these can be so awesome and help your grip too

Planks Front and side - This isn't your standard 6-pack muscles but the deeper transverse abdominals (what I would refer to as true core work where as the rectus abdominus (six-pack) is more for show :P )

If you are hardcore look up dragon flags.

Yes you are getting ab work if you are doing your squats right but its for stability more than anything else so isn't going to be a massive stretch for them and will gain only in proportion to your squats.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I do squats and bench press. I know those involve the core, but I want to target it more directly.

Y u no deadlift?

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Surprised none of the real lifters have showed up yet and told you to lift.

Some classes include a lot of core work.
    If I remember correct BodyCombat supposedly equals 3200 crunches without doing a crunch. It is all in the twists, knees and kicks.
    A program like pump probably also has core work.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I like weighted Russian twists (I may be the only one that does). But I find they're really good and you may be able to do these on a bench if you don't want to get on the floor and your balance is exceptional, though how safe that will be I don't know. Bicycle crunches make me want to cry, and seeing as you don't like crunches anyway I wouldn't recommend.

Bodyweight flutter kicks don't require getting on the ground, so maybe those? Or kettle bell windmills?
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Crunches make me sad too. Does your gym have TRXs? They're great for core exercises - pikes, planks etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phzVJ39-hX8

You can also do moves like pikes on a swiss ball. It does involve laying down but swiss ball passovers are a great core workout.

I second the weighted Russian twists - I do them with kettlebells or medicine balls. I find kettlebells generally to be fantastic for your core - windmills, Turkish get ups etc.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Planks, Deadlifts, hanging leg raises, any weight movement while standing, side leans, woodchops.

The latter three (in my experience) work the obliques more than the abs, but still help. One thing I'll say is that I don't like crunches, yet love cable crunches. They're a lot easier on my back, and really burn after a while. When doing other lifts, lower your weight and really focus on keeping your core as braced as you can, try and ensure the entire movement is slow and controlled. :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Top core moves?

Chin ups, ab wheel/barbell rollouts, front squats/goblet squats/dbl kb front squats (basically any anteriorly loaded squat)

There's a bunch others, but these can be progressively loaded and give more bang for your training buck than most other "targetted" work.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Planks, front or overhead squats, PULLUPS, sprints, mountain climbers, high knees, hanging leg raises, deadlifts.

I can work my abs until I'm blue in the face. But give me a day of deadlifts, pullups and sprints and my core is wrecked-front to back.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Swim laps and do lots of flip turns?
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Women's Health published an article called "The Standing Workout for Flat Abs" and it included four basic workouts using a dumbbell: Side Bends, Standing Core Stabilization, Bow Extensions, and Reverse Dumbbell Chop. I incorporate these into my core routine (which I also hate doing) and they've made a difference. Best of all, I actually LIKE doing them which is the motivation to do them on a regular basis.

Google 'standing core workout' and you'll get a slew of hits.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    My core routine is easy. Start with a weighted abs exercise, then go into unweighted. You'll go to failure much quicker and don't need to deal with 1000 crunches. Try this routine

15 cable crunches to failure
    Ab wheel to failure
    Air bicycles to failure

Do 3-6 sets

You can sub out cable crunches for weighted hanging leg raises or weighted captains chair leg raises. And the other two for whatever your favorite abs exercises are. Mainly, you just need to start with weighted work.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I feel my core on fire when I deadlift
    it's also engaged when I squat
    hmmm yeah
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a crunch in at least a year. I don't do much isolation worth either because I hate it. But if I were to do so: hanging leg/knee raises, captains chair.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    sorry what's a cable crunch?
  • arditarose
    Options
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    thank u arditarose . Think I'll give that a miss - would probably catch my hair in the cable, or bang my head!
  • arditarose
    Options
    thank u arditarose . Think I'll give that a miss - would probably catch my hair in the cable, or bang my head!

I still haven't done them but I want to! Looks way more fun and efficient than stupid crunches.