Stomach fat please help!

Options
Anyone know any excerises that will shrink the belly fat? I know cardio, but I was wondering other options. The problem with crunches is that you could be just toning the muscle underneath the fat and not losing it. That's my problem. I want the stomach fat gone.

Replies

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting and eating well. I promise.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    fat loss is about diet, primarily. Eat right and be patient. Then be more patient.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

^^This.

You can't spot reduce. That like trying to dry out one corner of a sponge while the rest is still soaked. When we lose fat our bodies use it from wherever they want, with the midsections normally being the last place.

Moderate Caloric Deficit + Work (Progressive strength training and cardio) + patience = results.

You can get there with just the deficit and patience, but would most likely be happier with the final result if you mix in the strength and cardio.

One other thing to keep in mind. You don't need to be doing a bunch of isolated ab work. Some is fine, but it really shouldn't be the staple of your workout. Concentrate on full body. One thing you'll notice here, many here with nice midsections do little to no isolated ab work.
  • chasingthesun85
    chasingthesun85 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the same thing, best thing I've found to blast the fat is HIIT and strength training which raises your metabolic rate, as I'm sure you've heard you can't get rid of fat in one area, you have to lose it all over. Best thing I've found for that is HIIT, I usually do 20-30 a day with videos off YouTube. Everyday. I've lost 6.5 lbs since June 1st doing these two things and eating approx 1200 calories per day, almost always really healthy, only drink water, "cheating" for me is drinking half a Gatorade. You have to get really strict with yourself. For instance right now I'm eating a breakfast of mixed veggies with sriracha for flavor! Cut down on carbs because they make you retain water and bloat, and they make you fat if you don't burn them off, I do carb cycling, low carb on non-strength days, moderate carb on strength days to aid in recovery.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the same thing, best thing I've found to blast the fat is HIIT and strength training which raises your metabolic rate, as I'm sure you've heard you can't get rid of fat in one area, you have to lose it all over. Best thing I've found for that is HIIT, I usually do 20-30 a day with videos off YouTube. Everyday. I've lost 6.5 lbs since June 1st doing these two things and eating approx 1200 calories per day, almost always really healthy, only drink water, "cheating" for me is drinking half a Gatorade. You have to get really strict with yourself. For instance right now I'm eating a breakfast of mixed veggies with sriracha for flavor! Cut down on carbs because they make you retain water and bloat, and they make you fat if you don't burn them off, I do carb cycling, low carb on non-strength days, moderate carb on strength days to aid in recovery.

This is all wrong. If you are in a calorie deficit you burn off everything you eat plus some, which is where weight loss comes from. You only store the things you eat as fat if you are in a surplus. Carbs do not make you fat, eating more calories than your body needs makes you fat.
  • tbbhealthanista
    tbbhealthanista Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    rd

She said it! HIIT is where it's at when it comes to fat loss. On days I weight train (about 4 days a week), I follow it up with 20-30 minutes of HIIT cardio; on days where I don't weight train (2 days a week), I make sure to get about 45-55 minutes of cardio in (i.e, Zumba class, TurboFire class), anything that gets my heart going but isn't as intense in intervals.

The carbs should consist of things such as quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes (complex carbs); fruits lower in sugar (berries, apples, cherries, oranges, etc). You can never have too many veggies :)
  • chasingthesun85
    chasingthesun85 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

This is all wrong. If you are in a calorie deficit you burn off everything you eat plus some, which is where weight loss comes from. You only store the things you eat as fat if you are in a surplus. Carbs do not make you fat, eating more calories than your body needs makes you fat.
    Yes you're right eating a surplus of calories does make you fat, but carbs that are not used for glycogen are directly stored as body fat.
  • kwagner102414
    kwagner102414 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    fat loss is about diet, primarily. Eat right and be patient. Then be more patient.
    RGv2 wrote: »

^^This.

You can't spot reduce. That like trying to dry out one corner of a sponge while the rest is still soaked. When we lose fat our bodies use it from wherever they want, with the midsections normally being the last place.

Moderate Caloric Deficit + Work (Progressive strength training and cardio) + patience = results.

You can get there with just the deficit and patience, but would most likely be happier with the final result if you mix in the strength and cardio.

One other thing to keep in mind. You don't need to be doing a bunch of isolated ab work. Some is fine, but it really shouldn't be the staple of your workout. Concentrate on full body. One thing you'll notice here, many here with nice midsections do little to no isolated ab work.

I eat about 1000 calories a day. I watch all the fats and carbs. I'm pretty knowledgeable in nutrition Facts. My problem with my body is exercise. I keep the same weight, but its just changed into muscle which is what I don't want. I want to lose weight, not gain. What can I do to not gain muscle and lose the weight even when my diet is right. I know it doesn't happen fast. I just need to start on what is right.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Yes you're right eating a surplus of calories does make you fat, but carbs that are not used for glycogen are directly stored as body fat.

If your glycogen stores are full you could temporarily store carbs as fat. If you are in a calorie deficit it doesn't matter if you are burning glycogen or fat at any given moment. Generally in a calorie deficit your glycogen stores are not full. Limiting carbs is unnecessary except for those with certain medical conditions, especially if you are meeting your protein and fat needs.
  • kwagner102414
    kwagner102414 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    rd

She said it! HIIT is where it's at when it comes to fat loss. On days I weight train (about 4 days a week), I follow it up with 20-30 minutes of HIIT cardio; on days where I don't weight train (2 days a week), I make sure to get about 45-55 minutes of cardio in (i.e, Zumba class, TurboFire class), anything that gets my heart going but isn't as intense in intervals.

The carbs should consist of things such as quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes (complex carbs); fruits lower in sugar (berries, apples, cherries, oranges, etc). You can never have too many veggies :)

My diet is pretty good. But what is HILT?
  • usmcmp
    Options

^^This.

I eat about 1000 calories a day. I watch all the fats and carbs. I'm pretty knowledgeable in nutrition Facts. My problem with my body is exercise. I keep the same weight, but its just changed into muscle which is what I don't want. I want to lose weight, not gain. What can I do to not gain muscle and lose the weight even when my diet is right. I know it doesn't happen fast. I just need to start on what is right.

1,000 calories per day is not appropriate. You are not gaining muscle. Having a lean stomach comes from low body fat and adequate lean mass.
  • sweetochiken
    sweetochiken Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you dont wannt to gain muscle then stick to cardio and diet. Why are you eating 1000 cals? Sometimes to lose fat you must eat enough for your body to use your fat as fuel. If you dont eat enough calories for what your body needs, you will plateau and go into starvation mode and start storing fat again. Maybe increase calories and do hiit exercises. But weighlifting helps burn fat quicker, your muscles suck all that fat up (without gaining weight) you will see.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

^^This.

You're not growing on 1,000 cals a day.
  • AwesomeSauceTN
    AwesomeSauceTN Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Its true you cannot "spot" reduce fat to a particular area, it all comes off according to your genetic makeup. Bummer! Ikr but recent studies are finding that we can change the way our genes express through exercise and diet. If you are feeling geeky, here's an article http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/12/17/how-exercise-changes-our-dna/?_r=0

*HOOP DANCE* is amazing for your abs and lower back. Actually, its amazing for the entire body! The first month I started, I lost 1 inch off my waist, 1 inches from my hips and 1 inch from my neck (didn't realize I had that much to lose but whateves). My stomach quickly became my favorite part of my body. My boyfriend keeps telling me, "Please don't stop hooping! I love what it is doing for your body! I'll buy you any hoop you want, just keep it up!". And its really sexy too (: I continue to lose weight by calorie restriction, mostly avoiding sugar and processed foods. Its really not a diet, its not restrictive. If I want a treat, I eat it. Mostly I am just adding healthier foods - beans, fruit, veggies rather than eliminating "bad" foods (crowding out the bad stuff). I'm full and satisfied so I don't overeat my treats (: I am definitely seeing muscle tone on my tummy. THE BEST PART? Its fun!!!! Its not a grueling chore like crunches. Honestly, it feels like I'm playing... like I'm a kid, it elates my mood and I just feel really happy and carefree. I just put on some of my favorite tunes and start hooping. Once I got the hang of simple waist hooping (torches your tummy), I started adding tricks that I learned from YouTube or just experimenting. There's tons of how-to vids. You can hula hoop in your living room in front of the tv or go outside, whatever you like. Here's a good place to go to get a hoop http://www.hoopscapades.com/ just tell her Crystal sent you and she'll give you a discount. You can watch YouTube to learn how to waist hoop (if you don't already) but I recommend a DVD you can rent from Netflix (or purchase) by Hoopnotica.

Feel free to friend me if you are interested in more info. I love hooping so much, I wish I found it sooner, and I want everyone to be able to enjoy it as much as I am.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    If you dont wannt to gain muscle then stick to cardio and diet. Why are you eating 1000 cals? Sometimes to lose fat you must eat enough for your body to use your fat as fuel. If you dont eat enough calories for what your body needs, you will plateau and go into starvation mode and start storing fat again. Maybe increase calories and do hiit exercises. But weighlifting helps burn fat quicker, your muscles suck all that fat up (without gaining weight) you will see.

You don't go into starvation mode or start storing fat if you under eat. Your hormones go out of balance and your body uses your lean mass for food, which lowers your BMR.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You don't go into starvation mode or start storing fat if you under eat. Your hormones go out of balance and your body uses your lean mass for food, which lowers your BMR.

^^^^ YES THIS! Ugh! So tired of ppl using the starvation mode card!!!!

Please read the link below and stop the insanity!

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

^^This.

Assuming you're diet is reasonable, then most any exercise will work for you provided it's at a sufficient intensity. Because intensity is the key, heavy lifting and HIIT are typically the go-tos for workouts. Keep the intensity high and the diet in check, and there isn't much more you can do but wait. For many, patience is the hardest part of all this.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    rd

My diet is pretty good. But what is HILT?
    HIIT. High Intensity Interval Training. Short bursts of almost max effort with active rest in between. It's a shorter workout but you push yourself really hard during it. It's great for upping your metabolism and burning fat. Google HIIT and you will find a lot of information.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

De novo lipogensis (conversion of carbohydrates to fat) is rare in humans. Glucose will more likely sit in circulation or in cells waiting for energy needs, rather than being converted into fats.