ground beef cooked or raw weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Leka1000 wrote: »
    It's plain ridiculous the difference in calories for the same piece of food cooked or raw. Weights are different and cals are different.

Of course they are - everyone's 200g of raw meat is going to make different weights of cooked meat, depending on how you cook them. That's why it's best to log it as raw meat.

If it was 80/20, search: ground beef, 80/20, raw - and log it.

Exactly. I like my burgers medium rare so I use raw for logging, no matter what the fat % is.

• earlnabby
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Cannibal sandwiches?

Spoken like a true 'Sconnie!!!!!!!!!! Can't have Christmas or New Years Eve parties without them.

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    It's plain ridiculous the difference in calories for the same piece of food cooked or raw. Weights are different and cals are different.

You do understand that when it's raw there is water in it that comes out when it cooks? And the chemical make up of the meat itself changes, affecting the density of the meat? The fat also cooks, some cooking into the meat and some cooking out of the meat. All of these things affect the weight and the calorie count.
    well that said then neither the raw or cooked logging is accurate. ...or does the system take these things into consideration? ??

Weigh everything raw, think of it this way, you take two 200g(raw) pattys and cook both to different temperatures, once cooked you have no idea what the calorie count is, the well done burger will weigh less than the medium cooked burger but they are the same calories. It's up to you, if you want a half pound burger, weigh it raw and make it fit.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Wow, wait until you get to pasta :smiley:

Snort!

Always weigh your pasta, rice, quinoa raw too.
    I don't know. I don't really want to cook my pasta separately from everyone else's. I cook it all, divide the final weight by the number of servings in the package, and go from there. I mean, if I eat half of the total cooked pasta, am I not eating half of the dry pasta, and therefore 4 of the 8 servings in the package?
  • Leka1000
    Leka1000 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Wow, wait until you get to pasta :smiley:

Pasta was easier to figure out....it increases in weight when cooked. I just weighed raw and cooked separate and used the nutrition info right on the box.

• Leka1000
    Options
    The next pack of hamburger I buy Im going to go by what is right on the package label and weigh and log raw.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Of course they are - everyone's 200g of raw meat is going to make different weights of cooked meat, depending on how you cook them. That's why it's best to log it as raw meat.

Exactly. I like my burgers medium rare so I use raw for logging, no matter what the fat % is.

Yikes. In Canada it is suggested to cook burgers with no pink in them as we don't allow the pink slime (ammonia) that kills the bacteria that is allowed in US ground beef.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    200 grams raw is a giant burger, but I don't see how it becomes 100 grams cooked. Either it's got way more than the normal fat content, was way overcooked, or--perhaps most likely--there was an error in the weighing either before or after cooking.
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Quarter Pounders or 4oz or 115g burger are all the same. If you are getting up to 200g thats a big burger. Since most diets recommend portions of meat around 3-4 oz your burger would be closer to 7oz and therefore it probably would be closer to 600 calories than not. These are raw weights.
  • IammeCA
    IammeCA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Yikes. In Canada it is suggested to cook burgers with no pink in them as we don't allow the pink slime (ammonia) that kills the bacteria that is allowed in US ground beef.

It is suggested here as well. Many people just take the risk. I have taken food handlers courses and know the gross reasons why rare hamburger is risky when a rare steak is not. I still eat my hamburgers medium rare.
  • Leka1000
    Options
    Great thanks! Will definately be looking at all this closer next time i have burgers.....as for eating with pink, nope! Can't handle that...steak on the other hand....ya i little bit of pink!
  • Leka1000
    Options
    Also curious how my topsirloin steak will differ in weight from raw to cooked. Call it a steak project!
  • Leka1000
    Options
    ALSO have to keep an eye on when i scoop up browned ground beef into my tacos and stuff. Gotta test using the cooked weight and cooking separate for the raw weight...Im tellin ya, i wanna be nothing but accurate for success.
  • Leka1000
    Options
    What if i rinse my ground beef under the hot tap after cooking? :naughty:
    I would think some of that fat is lost down the drain....hope so...wouldn't want that stuff caked onto my belly lol
  • earlnabby
    Options
    IammeCA wrote: »

It is suggested here as well. Many people just take the risk. I have taken food handlers courses and know the gross reasons why rare hamburger is risky when a rare steak is not. I still eat my hamburgers medium rare.

It helps when you know your butcher. When I get my meat for cannibal sandwiches he grinds up the sirloin in front of me. He is super fastidious in keeping his machinery clean and never purchases meat pre-ground from his wholesaler.

• oldcargirl62
    oldcargirl62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would think some of that fat is lost down the drain....hope so...wouldn't want that stuff caked onto my belly lol

Buy the leanest you can afford, or better yet try to fit ground bison instead of beef. It is much leaner so cook slower at lower temp. Less weight is lost in cooking. I am fortunate to buy an 1/4 bison and keep various cuts in the freezer. Less waste from trimming and cooking so factor that in the cost. Leaner roasts need a little different cooking style than beef (lower temp watch the time) also makes great tacos, lasagana, kabobs, shred for bbq style, breakfast etc. Most beef about makes me gag, I can taste the fat regardless of trimming.

With the leanest of the bison I believe you can safely weigh cooked or raw you just don't lose much, if anything.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Buy the leanest you can afford, or better yet try to fit ground bison instead of beef. It is much leaner so cook slower at lower temp. Less weight is lost in cooking. I am fortunate to buy an 1/4 bison and keep various cuts in the freezer. Less waste from trimming and cooking so factor that in the cost. Leaner roasts need a little different cooking style than beef (lower temp watch the time) also makes great tacos, lasagana, kabobs, shred for bbq style, breakfast etc. Most beef about makes me gag, I can taste the fat regardless of trimming.

With the leanest of the bison I believe you can safely weigh cooked or raw you just don't lose much, if anything.

why the leanest? fat is not bad for you actually quite the opposite. adequate fat is good for hair, skin, nail, digestive tract health/function, and for vitamin absorption.

Besides the health benefits of fat, the fattier the burger the better tasting and the better it will stay together.
  • oldcargirl62
    oldcargirl62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

why the leanest? fat is not bad for you actually quite the opposite. adequate fat is good for hair, skin, nail, digestive tract health/function, and for vitamin absorption.

Besides the health benefits of fat, the fattier the burger the better tasting and the better it will stay together.

Because there seemed to be disbelief in the advise from other in weighing raw vs cooked and that she says half the weight was cooked away.

There is also a difference between healthy fats and cheap ground beef fat, imho. I'll utilize my fat intake with nuts and olive oil on a salad over ground up beef fat.

I did not say eliminate fats, just making the point that buying leaner ground beef would eliminate cooking, apparently literally, half of what you just bought away.
  • Leka1000
    Options
    Fyi: i cooked 400g of reg ground beef in frying pan loose. Once cooked the weight dropped to 285g. Crazy! I will log raw from now on!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Cannibal sandwiches?

Spoken like a true 'Sconnie!!!!!!!!!! Can't have Christmas or New Years Eve parties without them.

right? A true tradition1