What do you wish you hadn't done on your fitness journey?

Options

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i wish i had eaten more food
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I wish I'd never tried running, and I wish I'd stayed the hell away from plyometrics or any kind of impact. It was so far from worth the injuries. Hindsight is 20/20, I had no idea how bad my biomechanics were. Careful preparation and graduated activity and attention to form didn't help. Long-term consequences there.

I wish I *had* started out with something like Pilates to gently build up more stability around my joints from the get-go. Then weights, then some LOW IMPACT cardio.
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    catwils1 wrote: »
    NinaSharp wrote: »
    MFP is filled with stories of success as well sometimes people looking for 'shortcuts' other than CI/CO. What is one fad or "diet" you tried on your fitness journey that you wish you hadn't tried?

For me it was paleo. I probably did it wrong admittedly, but I wish I'd never even tried it. Granted I did get to a low weight while doing it, but I missed carbs so much, once I reintroduced it (because there is nothing wrong with me or carbs) all I wanted was more bread...and pasta....

Anyone else? What fad do you wish you hadn't done?

did you count calories on paleo?
    I wish i had just known to do CI/CO. I spent so long wanting to lose weight, thinking i had a hormonal imbalance and should be trying supplements to fix it in order to lose weight. i focused on exercise more than eating and just put out more effort than needed and ended up gaining weight in the process.

I did. The problem was the model of paleo I followed in couraged me to eat 2000+ calories and barely any movement so I wound up losing at first then gaining toward the end as the wheels cam off.
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    I would not have tried so hard to eat "clean" and have the perfect workout. I knew better, but I got caught up in the hype. If I had kept it this simple from the beginning-my progress would be much further.

This is something that I'm finally learning. Throughout the years I've tried losing weight on and off. My problem is that every time I do it I become a perfectionist about eating clean and working out a lot. However, I have an all-or-nothing mentality that I can't seem to rid myself of, and it typically leads to my failure in the end. I'll eat something that isn't "clean" or miss a few workouts, and then it all sort of snowballs from there until I stop entirely.

This time around I'm letting myself eat what I want to eat, while trying to stay in my calorie goals. I do still make an effort to opt for more nutritious options and meet my macros, but if I wake up tomorrow and decide I really need some pizza rolls for lunch, I'm gonna have myself some pizza rolls. I'm finding things to be much easier now that I've decided to just focus on calories first. Maybe in the future I'll try a little harder to bring better things into my diet, but for now I'm going to just focus on eating good portions first.
  • 94kelly
    94kelly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Trying a juice diet - couldn't do it, tasted awful and was a waste of produce money and time.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd been more mindful of what I was doing after my only other "diet" (Slimming World). I maintained that weight loss for over 25 years, without consciously exercising or following the plan - the lifestyle change was so thorough that I no longer noticed it. Consequently, when the CO part of my CICO changed drastically 7 years ago I didn't make the necessary adjustments and the weight has piled on.
  • SparklySarah412
    SparklySarah412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't cheated on mfp when I tried it earlier on this year. Anything "naughty" that I wanted to eat I just didn't bother logging in mfp....then I wondered why I didn't lose any weight!

If I'd just been honest with myself, logged everything and stuck within my calories I could have been almost at goal by now.
  • drxl34
    drxl34 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I wish I had bought my bike a long time ago. I really hate going to the gym and finding a fun exercise activity has made all the difference. Now that I'm in good shape from biking I can do things I never thought possible - like running for several miles. I'm nervous about what to do in the colder months.. I'm too much of an outdoors person.. But at least I know I have my bike waiting for me in the Spring.
  • SuseAndo26
    SuseAndo26 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't kept falling off the wagon and regaining anything I had lost. It puts me right back to square one and I have to start all over again from the beginning if not more.
    Where I would be if I just stuck with it!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    ebbingfat wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »
    I would not have tried so hard to eat "clean" and have the perfect workout. I knew better, but I got caught up in the hype. If I had kept it this simple from the beginning-my progress would be much further.

This is something that I'm finally learning. Throughout the years I've tried losing weight on and off. My problem is that every time I do it I become a perfectionist about eating clean and working out a lot. However, I have an all-or-nothing mentality that I can't seem to rid myself of, and it typically leads to my failure in the end. I'll eat something that isn't "clean" or miss a few workouts, and then it all sort of snowballs from there until I stop entirely.

This time around I'm letting myself eat what I want to eat, while trying to stay in my calorie goals. I do still make an effort to opt for more nutritious options and meet my macros, but if I wake up tomorrow and decide I really need some pizza rolls for lunch, I'm gonna have myself some pizza rolls. I'm finding things to be much easier now that I've decided to just focus on calories first. Maybe in the future I'll try a little harder to bring better things into my diet, but for now I'm going to just focus on eating good portions first.

This is pretty much exactly how I am doing it-and basically how I stopped bingeing. By simply following calorie goals and exercising I am almost back to my "good weight" already. I have recently started paying more attention to macros and micros again-but can now do it easily and still fit it the pizza with no problem!
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd been honest with myself sooner.
    Every inch and lb. added, I'd still be like "oh I'm OK, there's people bigger than me" !

This! After my son was born I packed on the pounds but my clothes size was actually smaller because of the way the weight was distributed. I kept telling myself "As long as I'm still a size X so it's ok." "well at least I'm not as big as so-and-so." Any excuse to stay in my confort zone.

I regret everytime I stressed myself out trying to go low-carb. It put me in the mode to binge if I had the slightest slip up. With no restrictions on food within my calorie count I haven't had one "slip up" yet because there is no forbidden food calling my name. Even when I go over on day (like at Red Robin last night), the next day I can just pick up where I left off with no self-imposed guilt.
  • Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I wish i hadn't taken a "break" last Christmas, lost 14lbs at that point and that 4 week "break" turned into a good six months. I was also trying to stick to 1200cals (eating back exercise) and would regular walk 3/4 miles places to earn beer etc. I was miserable, tired and bored. If i had just gone about it more sensibly and stuck with it i would have lost maybe another 2 stone by now.
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I wish it hadn't taken a health concern to be be the final straw that finally set me on the right path. (IE Why didn't I want to take care of myself when I was younger than this?)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    I wish I hadn't bought into the "fat is bad for you". That started back in the 80's as I was coming of age and it dominated my 20's and 30's. My only concern was how much fat something had. Not sugar, not protein, not well rounded nutrition, just fat. And not eating fat made me fatter. Imagine that.

Back then nothing was clear enough. All fat was bad. There was no "good fat". It was a hard habit to break. When I get fat free products now, like yogurt, it's because I'm hoarding calories for ice cream, not because of the fat.

I'm right there with you. I think a lot of younger people don't get quite how pervasive that was. "Fat makes you fat" was taught as a definite thing. I remember the loud hosannas when the Snackwells cookies came out. You were supposed to trim all the fat off of all of your cuts of meat.

It seems ironic to me that the public health view on this subject has turned 180 degrees. I am now very skeptical about almost any claims I hear regarding nutrition due to this.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I wish I'd never tried running, and I wish I'd stayed the hell away from plyometrics or any kind of impact. It was so far from worth the injuries. Hindsight is 20/20, I had no idea how bad my biomechanics were. Careful preparation and graduated activity and attention to form didn't help. Long-term consequences there.

I wish I *had* started out with something like Pilates to gently build up more stability around my joints from the get-go. Then weights, then some LOW IMPACT cardio.

I'm going to take this as direct advice. I have a bunk leg so to speak...I need someone to evaluate it-did you see anyone about it?
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    There are several things i wish i hadn't done on this fitness journey. The most important thing though is the use of Pre Workout stimulants. I didnt need them.....i work my butt off in the gym but, searching for that magic thing to workout harder, longer , faster etc etc almost cost me a heart attack/stroke and the withdraw from it was nothing to laugh at. You should not take anything that will alter the way your body should work on its own. Muscles are strong...bones are strong....your organs are still delicate things on the inside that you have no idea how badly you can harm them until you do. Im not trying to preach or tell anyone what they should or shouldnt do but, just to be smart about it. I now will do only coffee as a pre workout and as i said before i dont need it. If my body has no energy to do the things i want it to...then i need a rest day. Your body is the only house you have to live in.....leave the ego at the door and protect it.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I wish I had started out with a more sensible approach to calorie counting and exercise.
    I wish I had started earlier, maybe before high school ended. I can't imagine what would have been acceptable for me as a teenager if I thought eating 1k a day while doing a few hours of piss-poor exercise six times a week was not too long ago. :/
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't quit MFP the first time, when I had gone from 161 to 152, and then all the way back up (and then some) to 168. Well now I'm 164, so I'm almost back to where I had started from...

Ditto..first time around I went from 218 to 183, and the I quit and and gained it all back and then some to 226.6. I am now back down to 215.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

I'm going to take this as direct advice. I have a bunk leg so to speak...I need someone to evaluate it-did you see anyone about it?

A physiotherapist. It took me a while to find a good one :/ some are not so focused on getting you geared for fitness activity (eg they mostly work w older populations) - go to one affiliated with a sports medicine clinic & get recommendations

Glad if my experience can maybe save one person some trouble :)
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I wish that when I'd started reading this board that I'd been better able to filter all of the advice and new information that I was taking in and not let it take me off of the path that was best for me. I tried clean eating (for two weeks, but still), doing mostly resistance work with little cardio, and a few other things I never would have thought to do that basically wasted a year.

I'd never had a problem maintaining my ideal weight until I stopped exercising and my weight crept up over a couple years' time. When I did a rough calculation of how many extra calories I had to have eaten to have gained the weight that I did over said period of time, it came out to something like 150-200 calories per day. I wasn't massively overeating, which told me that I gained weight primarily because I'd stopped working out. I wasn't willing to eat less, so all I needed to do was get active again.

When I dumped all of the noise and went back to doing my trusty videos and DVDs, that's when I started making progress. I'm doing this for my goals, not someone else's idea of what my physique and goals should be.