Is 1200 the lowest?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Annie_01

WebMD calculated that I should eat 1381 calories a day to lose 1lb a week. I'm 5'8 and 143lbs. It does seem kinda low...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    catwils1 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    How did this turn into an argument? LOL I explained in my first post that I don't eat under 1200 because it's not recommended. I'm losing, meeting my macro goals, and getting stronger...

On page 2 you made it sound like 1200 gross is your goal and try to exercise more off, along with the aggressive goal with little to lose gave the same impression.

she means she nets under 1200. but she eats 1200.

Yep, pretty much what I was pointing out.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,837 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Annie_01

WebMD calculated that I should eat 1381 calories a day to lose 1lb a week. I'm 5'8 and 143lbs. It does seem kinda low...

I've seen some crazy calculators Christine.
    Just because it's on the internet....
    Anyway: way less calories than what you can actually lose weight perfectly fine on.

Which is why I've pretty much settled to using MFP and Scooby's accurate calorie calculator (or a combination of the two) for my own purposes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've always gone by scooby's.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I determined my "real" calorie goal (for weight loss) with WebMD.com's calculator. It came to 895 calories. Because it is not recommended to eat less that 1200 cals for nutrition's sake, I purposely try to burn enough calories (at least) to allow me to eat around 1200 cals a day. I try to limit it at that, any extra cals burned is just a bonus! Losing about 1 pound per week.

What calculator are you using? I am a little under 5'3" and I have NEVER found a calculator that suggests I eat any less than around 1280, and that would be if I was completely sedentary, no way can less than an inch 2cm make up 300 calorie difference. Have you compared with other calculators, I used at least 3 from fairly reputable sites to do a comparison.

• SarahxApple
    Options
    Ok so I just used this:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-fitness-calorie-counter, which I presume is the calculator others are using,

Stats:
    current weight 132.3lbs goal weight 115lbs
    height of 5'0"
    age 29 (30 in 18 days)
    losing 2lbs
    Not active

My calorie intake is still 1126 (I was curious and fiddled this stuff, I am actually taller and goal weight is higher than this), so where are people getting sub-1000 calories from?

*I'm sure I am annoying people here, but I also put in current weight at being 200lbs and my calorie goal is 1033*

I can only conclude 2 things, there is a different WebMD calculator or people are lying?

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok so I just used this:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-fitness-calorie-counter, which I presume is the calculator others are using,

Stats:
    height of 5'0"
    age 29 (30 in 18 days)
    losing 2lbs
    Not active

My calorie intake is still 1126 (I was curious and fiddled this stuff, I am actually taller and goal weight is higher than this), so where are people getting sub-1000 calories from?

*I'm sure I am annoying people here, but I also put in current weight at being 200lbs and my calorie goal is 1033*

I can only conclude 2 things, there is a different WebMD calculator or people are lying?

there is the issue, you should not be set to lose 2 lbs/week, you should be set at 0.5 or 1 lb/week at most with only 17 lbs to lose
  • erickirb
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    If you set MFP to custom rather than allowing it to set the goals for you, it will take you below 1200 a week. However, if you eat less than 1000, it will give you a warning and refuse to give you the 5 week weight prediction. I'm 5'1.5" and 56 and had my BMR tested -- it came out to 1136. I've set my "base" at 1000 and sync with a fitbit to get activity calories. I'm using a Fitbit HR, so I get my TDEE at the end of the day. Most days I'm active, but on an inactive day, I can burn as little as 1100. I traveled about a month ago and was on a bus for 6 hours; my burn at the end of the day was in the 900s. If I were sedentary, I could get by very well on 1000 or less. However, I'm not the average person -- I'm shorter than average and older. There are too many young folks who get on MFP and other sites and think they can survive on 1000 or less and end up doing some serious damage.

You do realize that you will lose weight eating at or slightly above BMR right?

If your BMR is 1136 and you are light active your maintenance cals would be around 1500-1600, so all you have to do is eat under that amount to lose weight, no need to go as low as 1000.
  • SarahxApple
    edited July 2015
    Options

erickirb wrote: »
    Ok so I just used this:

Stats:
    height of 5'0"
    age 29 (30 in 18 days)
    losing 2lbs
    Not active

there is the issue, you should not be set to lose 2 lbs/week, you should be set at 0.5 or 1 lb/week at most with only 17 lbs to lose

Hi erickirb if you read my full post I was making up stats to see where this I eat 895 or 771 calories was coming from, this isn't my actual stats.
  • erickirb
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Ok so I just used this:

Stats:
    height of 5'0"
    age 29 (30 in 18 days)
    losing 2lbs
    Not active

Hi erickirb if you read my full post I was making up stats to see where this I eat 895 or 771 calories was coming from, this isn't my actual stats.

fair enough, sorry for the confusion. But the point for someone looking at the example should realize that that is not a good weekly weight loss goal without a lot to lose.
  • freesiasun5
    freesiasun5 Posts: 3,122 Member
    Options
    I think its a matter of opinion its more what you eat if your having 900 calories of crap than yes your going to be very unhealthy but you can eat 900 calories of veggies and lean protein and not only be full but feel great
    timtakel wrote: »
    I eat 800-900kcal and walk at least 15.000 Steps a day that's ~12km. I'm happy, not hangry or hungry. I pay attention to my nutrients, which is not always easy.

Attempted rationalization of what, if actually happening, is unhealthy behavior.

I'm going to throw in the 895 calorie goal to give myself a full blown case of the sadz from this thread.

I haven't produced that low of a total in my playing around with the webmd calculator.

I managed to get a 500 cal goal with that calculator. (TDEE if I am a sloth all day is around 1500- so it's accurate if nothing else.) Of course to do so I had to say I wanted to lose 2lbs/wk, which is ridiculous because I'm less than 5-10 from goal, and I had to say I was sedentary.

I have a feeling people using that calculator aren't reading the VERY IMPORTANT disclaimers underneath.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    When I calculated using WebMD there was only about 45 calories different than what MFP gives me.

I just got through calculating my TDEE by using my calories consumed + lbs lost and it came out within 150 calories of what WebMD based its figures on. My figures...2375...WebMD's figures...2225.

I think it is fairly close considering everything is just based off of estimations.

They also suggested that I eat 1475 with exercise burn of 250 daily taking me back down to 1225 net.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    mom2kpr wrote: »
    I think its a matter of opinion its more what you eat if your having 900 calories of crap than yes your going to be very unhealthy but you can eat 900 calories of veggies and lean protein and not only be full but feel great
    timtakel wrote: »
    I eat 800-900kcal and walk at least 15.000 Steps a day that's ~12km. I'm happy, not hangry or hungry. I pay attention to my nutrients, which is not always easy.

Attempted rationalization of what, if actually happening, is unhealthy behavior.

I'm going to throw in the 895 calorie goal to give myself a full blown case of the sadz from this thread.

I haven't produced that low of a total in my playing around with the webmd calculator.

I can get lower (never would!!). I put in 5', 190b, 44yrs old and albs a week = 771 calories a day = NEVER. If I read it right though, they recommend not going under 1200 calories a day. The number they are giving is net. So I am supposed to eat 1200 cal and not eat back exercise calories, according to WebMD.

When I entered it on WebMD I got 1072 with a 2lb per week loss and sedentary. It also gave the recommendation of no less than 1200 by doing 128 cal exercise burn and eating those back.

Not sure why we got such different numbers.

Yeah, it's weird.

Yours is quite similar to what I got. Well, I got 1033 or some such with 2 lb/week and moderately active, which is probably correct as I think my TDEE is 2000-2100 or so with a decent level of activity. (I think it'd be a silly goal to go with since I'm 5 lbs from goal and couldn't support that actively plus the additional activity I'd do to get to eat up to 1200 as recommended on 1200, but oh, well.)
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    OK, now I see why everyone is so confused! I used WebMd’s BMI Calculator which also includes a calorie breakdown http://www.webmd.com/diet/body-bmi-calculator

I entered in the following info:
    Female
    Height 5’ 2”
    Weight: 123
    Pants Size: 4
    Goal: Lose 2 lbs/week
    Activity: Moderate

It gave me a calorie goal of 895.

HOWEVER, when I used the link you all are referring to (the personal plan) http://www.webmd.com/diet/food-fitness-planner/create-your-personal-plan
    Female
    Height 5’ 2”
    Goal Weight: 113

It gave me a goal of 1026!!

I don’t know if the pants size made some sort of a difference or what! Either way, I am still burning enough calories to allow me to each between 1200-1250 a day.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My daily calorie target using the first link is 811, using the 2nd I get 1047...neither of these seems particularly healthy for a middle aged woman in the 190-200 lb weight range. I think I will stick with mfp's goal of 1380 :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    OK, now I see why everyone is so confused! I used WebMd’s BMI Calculator which also includes a calorie breakdown http://www.webmd.com/diet/body-bmi-calculator

Female
    Height 5’ 2”

HOWEVER, when I used the link you all are referring to (the personal plan) http://www.webmd.com/diet/food-fitness-planner/create-your-personal-plan
    Female
    Height 5’ 2”

I don’t know if the pants size made some sort of a difference or what! Either way, I am still burning enough calories to allow me to each between 1200-1250 a day.

I think the key thing to note here is that in a roundabout way, this site is telling you your TDEE is somewhere between 1895 and 2026 calories per day. Meaning you can eat anywhere under 1895 (if you're being accurate with weighing food) and still lose weight. These numbers are telling me you don't HAVE to eat 1200 to lose weight.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Female
    Height 5’ 2”

Female
    Height 5’ 2”

Freaky. I did the same thing, based on

Female
    Height: 5'3
    Weight: 125
    Goal: 120
    Goal: 2 lb/week [not realistic]
    Activity: Sedentary [I'm not, it was a test]

The BMI one gave me a goal of 419 (woohoo!). The other gave me a goal of 1145, which is higher than when I told it I was active (but I think then I said I wanted to be 115, maybe that made a difference? weird).

For what it's worth, if I were sedentary and wanted to lose 2 lb/week, the likely calories would be around 500 or so, and 1145 would probably be .75 lb at best.

But then me trying to lose 2 lb per week, let alone while being sedentary, is unrealistic.