I need a confirmation that I'm not crazy

Options
I bought a stationary bike 2 weeks ago and I started riding it almost everyday for roughly 4miles (I'm a beginner). The night before last I gained a pound over night. Last night, another pound.

Which puts me at 210lbs. I never weighted that much before. I always weight myself naked, with empty stomach and empty bladder as soon as I wake up.

It's water retention from the new exercise right? I can't be gaining fat this quickly?!

Replies

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Normal muscle inflammation from new exercise routine.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I promise you that you are not crazy. <3 I am going to make the suggestion that from now on you weigh once a week.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to gain weight overnight, unless you are sleep eating, but yes, increased exercise can result in water retention.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to gain weight overnight, unless you are sleep eating, but yes, increased exercise can result in water retention.

I'd be pretty bummed if I was sleeping during my sleep without my knowledge lol
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I promise you that you are not crazy. <3 I am going to make the suggestion that from now on you weigh once a week.

I second this.
    I just don't get why people weigh themselves daily.
    Now THAT would turn me crazy. Lol
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, after two consecutive rest days, first thing in the morning, after having peed.

This is my suggestion to you.
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The common suggestion is weigh yourself every day, record the number, and take an average for the week, or weight yourself less often. I choose to weigh myself Monday and Friday, but only record my Monday weight.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    Options
    Yeah I usually weigh myself on friday mornings but I was too curious and wanted to see if the biking helped. Also they say you're supposed to be more energized when you exercise regularly but I just feel more tired.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

I second this.
    I just don't get why people weigh themselves daily.
    Now THAT would turn me crazy. Lol

I weigh everyday just to know how my previous day's "mistakes" affected me so that I don't do it again. Keep in mind that I've lost the majority of my weight and am working on my last few pounds, though. I didn't used to weigh everyday.
  • acoustophoresis
    acoustophoresis Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone -- weigh once a day at the risk of your own sanity. Your muscles and energy level will bounce back, don't give up! It takes a few weeks before you're in warrior mode.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So glad someone in another thread mentioned the phone app "Happy Scale." It really makes weighing less anxiety producing.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Weighing and charting daily will help you realize these fluctuations for what they are. Totally normal to go up a few temporary pounds with a new exercise.
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Inflammation, drinking more water after exercise, muscles repairing, etc. Your body is adjusting - if I have learned one thing so far is that this "game" takes a whole metric butt-tonne of patience and persistence. You've got this - keep at it!
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yeah I usually weigh myself on friday mornings but I was too curious and wanted to see if the biking helped. Also they say you're supposed to be more energized when you exercise regularly but I just feel more tired.

In the beginning I felt tired as well.. but once I made it a part of my almost daily activity that tiredness became energy
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first poster but i disagree that you need to weigh only weekly. Daily weighing is a good idea but keep a record of your ups nad downs. MOst of it will be changes in water retention so don't fret unless the overall trend goes up or gets stuck.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself once a week, weight fluctuates constantly, don't obsess about it.

I have always thought it comical that someone can ride miles on a "stationary" bike. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I bought a stationary bike 2 weeks ago and I started riding it almost everyday for roughly 4miles (I'm a beginner). The night before last I gained a pound over night. Last night, another pound.

Which puts me at 210lbs. I never weighted that much before. I always weight myself naked, with empty stomach and empty bladder as soon as I wake up.

It's water retention from the new exercise right? I can't be gaining fat this quickly?!

Water retention from the new exercise, unless you ate a total of 7,000 calories over your TDEE in the last few days.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Well, you can't gain weight overnight even if you are sleep eating--it would still be water retention from the extra food. Weight gain shows over time, not overnight.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    Options
    Weigh yourself once a week, weight fluctuates constantly, don't obsess about it.

I have always thought it comical that someone can ride miles on a "stationary" bike. :)

Well there's an odo meter on my bike. I find it more encouraging to look at the millage than the timer and think 'ugh...still 25minutes left'
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I concur, if you aren't prepared to deal with the weight fluctuations, do it once a week. I can gain/lose 5+ pounds on a daily basis depending on my hydration and if I ate just one grain of salt!