I need a confirmation that I'm not crazy

Options
2»

Replies

• Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself once a week, weight fluctuates constantly, don't obsess about it.

I have always thought it comical that someone can ride miles on a "stationary" bike. :)
    I ride miles on my stationary bike but I also live in an extremely hilly area and am not yet fit enough to tackle the hills on a real bike. Right now I'd end up walking the bike more than actually riding it. Some day though; riding outdoors will be more interesting!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    err weigh yourself according to what suits your personality. One way or the other is NOT superior, just becayse people are telling you to weigh once a week does not mean its the way to go.

For many people weighing daily offers advantages such as keeping on top of the situation, providing peace of mind and motivating them about their progress.

What seems to be amiss is that you dont understand about fluctuations and how they affect your weight. You are looking for a trend rather than one days individual readings. Whilst this is the most likely cause, then theres also the chance that the weight gain could be real as we have no idea about your deficit accuracy and control. 1-5lbs a day is natural.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Since your question was answered, I would like to point out, that is probably beneficial for your muscles (especially recovery) to not use the bike every night. If you bike every night, then your muscles won't have time to repair and recover. Have you considered doing some resistance training a few days a week and then bike the others. If you don't have equipment, you could always start with a program like, you are your own gym or convict condition.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    hac125 wrote: »
    I ride miles on my stationary bike but I also live in an extremely hilly area and am not yet fit enough to tackle the hills on a real bike. Right now I'd end up walking the bike more than actually riding it. Some day though; riding outdoors will be more interesting!
    Well there's an odo meter on my bike. I find it more encouraging to look at the millage than the timer and think 'ugh, still 25minutes left'

I'm not picking on anyone for using estimated miles as a measurement, just pointing out that it is a comical measurement for a bike that goes nowhere.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    hac125 wrote: »
    Well there's an odo meter on my bike. I find it more encouraging to look at the millage than the timer and think 'ugh, still 25minutes left'

I'm not picking on anyone for using estimated miles as a measurement, just pointing out that it is a comical measurement for a bike that goes nowhere.

I get what you mean. Reminds me of many years ago a very elderly gentleman would make it a point to come over to the treadmills and ask, "Where are we walking to today?" We'd come up with random destinations. Later he'd come back by and ask if we've made it there yet. At his age being at the gym regularly was quite impressive so we all went along with it.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Since your question was answered, I would like to point out, that is probably beneficial for your muscles (especially recovery) to not use the bike every night. If you bike every night, then your muscles won't have time to repair and recover. Have you considered doing some resistance training a few days a week and then bike the others. If you don't have equipment, you could always start with a program like, you are your own gym or convict condition.

The only equipment I have is a Leslie Sansone stretchie band and two 5lbs dumbells

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

The only equipment I have is a Leslie Sansone stretchie band and two 5lbs dumbells

If you look up the two programs I suggested, they are both body weight resistance training, which can still be very effective. The benefit of resistance training is that it can help maintain muscle mass and metabolic functions during weight loss, especially when combined with a diet higher in protein (.8-1g of pro per lb of lean body mass, which is roughly .6-.8g per lb of mass).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water retention.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    Options
    Www.weightgrapher.com, www.trend weight.com, Libra android, happy scale iPhone.

Enter numbers daily, ignore numbers watch trend.

Helps you understand that you don't have a single point weight, you have a general weight level that is either trending down or trending up or is fairly stable.