Dealing with embarrassment...what's your trick?

gaelicstorm26
gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
edited July 2015 in Motivation and Support
I have a lot of weight to lose. I'm down 18 pounds already but I would like to lose about 100 lbs total. I don't have a problem with motivation, I have a problem with what I think other people are thinking about me when I try to be active. I want to be more active but I find myself waiting until it's dark to do my thing.

How did you guys cope when you were first starting out and worried about what other people thought? I know it's a personal problem, but I walk in the neighborhood where I live as the surrounding older part of the neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks. There are a lot of people I work with who live right by me.

And tips? When will it get easier? Am I dumb?

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I doubt anyone is looking at you, and if they are, then they caught you doing a healthful activity. No big deal.
  • gaelicstorm26
    I wish it wasn't a big deal to me. I've always been super self-conscious. I'm hoping to gain some confidence as more weight comes off.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Worrying about what strangers think about you, a person they don't even know, is to give up power over yourself. Don't degrade who you are and where you are going, by worrying about what strangers might think.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    OP that have the fear that a lot of people have.

My question is why would you think someone is judging you in a negative way to see that you are becoming more active and trying to shred the excess fat you have?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I doubt anyone is looking at you, and if they are, then they caught you doing a healthful activity. No big deal.

I agree. You really just have to keep telling yourself "Who cares what they think?" They will be falling all over themselves to compliment you and ask how you did it when the weight loss becomes obvious.

The hardest thing I ever had to do was squeeze my (at the time) 280 lb body into a swimming suit and go to the pool for a water aerobics class. After the first couple of times, the self consciousness went away completely.

• yopeeps025
    edited July 2015
    I wish it wasn't a big deal to me. I've always been super self-conscious. I'm hoping to gain some confidence as more weight comes off.

From my experience weight loss does. Weight loss benefits in a lot of ways that people don't really understand until they just do it.
  • gaelicstorm26
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

My question is why would you think someone is judging you in a negative way to see that you are becoming more active and trying to shred the excess fat you have?

I don't know. I wish I did.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    The people who are looking have probably been in your shoes.

The people who are judging don't matter.
  • garrettg84
    garrettg84 Posts: 3 Member
    There are gyms that cater more towards people making life changes rather than those already into it hardcore. Planet Fitness is one of them and even advertises 'no lunks' and has a reputation for kicking those that are more fit out when they are being aggressive with weights or gawking.

I happen to like lifting heavy and sometimes I make a little noise when I'm doing it. They don't appreciate me there. I've found a local iron gym that suits my needs.

Depending on your goals though, a local iron gym may be more suited to your needs.
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    I think you'd find that even the judgiest people in the world aren't going to judge an overweight person for being in the gym or being active. The obvious, and logical thought that comes to mind is, "they're doing something to get healthier - good for them!"

And - GOOD FOR YOU FOR MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR LIFE FOR THE BETTER!!!! :)
  • MallowM
    MallowM Posts: 66 Member
    I think most people are too busy thinking about themselves to notice others lol. Even when they do they don't particularly care. When I see people out walking/jogging most of the time I think to myself "good for them" or "it's too damn hot to be outside..." and go about my business.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I don't know. I wish I did.

I get what you are going through though. I had a lot of comments on my chest bouncing when I jump rope. Even one of my friends ask if I feel any discomfort as I jump rope from the bouncing.

One time had a ignorant child ask me how am I still fat if I jump rope like how I can jump rope. He was turning into a gym regular so I just told him my diet has always been complete trash and we laugh it off. Inside it got to me a little bit.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    I never worried about it. Just try to put it out of your mind.

Those people you work with see you all the time at work....they already know what you look like. If they are making judgments about your weight, they have already done so. What difference does it make if they also see you exercising? The point is, even if they do see you, you aren't doing anything wrong. In fact, you are doing something positive for yourself. And if they want to think something negative about that (I don't know why they would), it doesn't hurt you in any way.

I'm sure you have lots of random thought every day about strangers you see or people you know that you see...some positive and some negative. If you keep your thoughts to yourself, it has zero impact on those people. The same goes with their thoughts about you.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    At the end of the day they're going to see that you're making an effort to improve your situation. If they judge you then that speaks more about them than it does about you. Most of them will more likely be thinking "good for you!"
  • kscarf1
    kscarf1 Posts: 33 Member
    When I was in my 20s, I was trying to lose 80 pounds and I would walk every day in an empty parking lot next to my apartment building. Unfortunately there was a major road nearby, and sometimes guys driving past would yell things at me. The first time it happened, I burst into tears, but dammit, I kept walking. They actually motivated me to try harder. Ever since then, when I see someone who's overweight out walking, I silently cheer them on. I know it can take guts to get out there, especially when you are seeing people you know, but I bet that many more of them will admire you for trying to get healthy than will have negative thoughts or comments about what you are doing (and many of them will be jealous). Don't worry about what other people think, focus on making yourself stronger! You can do this!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    When i see a larger person walking, i think its good to see someone having a go. I used to be very self conscious as a young person, and i understand how painful it is. Gaining confidence in yourself comes with achievements, small as well as big. Keep focussed on what you are trying to achieve and look for other areas of your life where you can grown and accumulate achievements.

Your appearance may never be ideal even when you are skinny so don't become fixated on how everything will be resolved when you get skinny. It won't you will still have the same problems so you have to address them. But certainly feeling good about the way you look takes one problem off the table and it certainly will do a lot for your health.

Personal growth is probably something else you need to be working on, not just losing weight.
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    I have a lot of weight to lose. I'm down 18 pounds already but I would like to lose about 100 lbs total. I don't have a problem with motivation, I have a problem with what I think other people are thinking about me when I try to be active. I want to be more active but I find myself waiting until it's dark to do my thing.

How did you guys cope when you were first starting out and worried about what other people thought? I know it's a personal problem, but I walk in the neighborhood where I live as the surrounding older part of the neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks. There are a lot of people I work with who live right by me.

And tips? When will it get easier? Am I dumb?

No your not dumb, I struggle with the with the same thoughts ( I think most do) I try to reverse it and use the desire to show people I'm working hard at changing my body as my motivation. It's helped tremendously while running. The cars and head turns are the one thing that keep me going the last mile sometimes. I don't know how to make you think like that though, you just gotta do that for yourself and start caring more about what your doing and less about what people think....
  • gaelicstorm26
    Thanks guys. It's good to know that it will get easier. I think when you're fat you tend to think so negatively about yourself. It's a hard habit to break. In a few months I hope to be running by those houses instead of walking. I know I'll feel great about myself when that happens. It's getting few these first few months that is tough.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    "What other people think of me is none of my business." <--- it helped me a lot to remember that, particularly when I was over 300 lbs and my only form of exercise was to walk around my neighbourhood.

But you know what? I've had people yell out of their car window at me while I was huffing and puffing up a hill. I've felt judged by my size, and when I joined a gym, felt pity on the people working out behind me while my backside was jiggling on the treadmill. Where are most of these people now? I have no idea. But I know where I am - 155 lbs lower on the scale than I used to be. And for every person that judged me for being fat and working out, there were others that walked up and congratulated me on the effort I was putting in day after day, and those that told me they wanted to be more like me.

As for the people who saw me huffing and puffing and sweating, the ones who saw me in weird clothes and runners on 40 degree celcius days - the mothers at my children's Kindergarten and school, who I still see every week - well, they're just plain amazed and full of compliments. Did it matter that they saw me looking dreadful? Not a bit.
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    check this out - people think about other waaaay less than about themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o268qbb_0BM