Can't get the same calorie burn as I used to

Options
I'm fairly consistent at the gym - usually I'm there about 4 or 5 times a week. I do spinning classes, weight classes, elliptical and lift. I always wear a HRM so I can (somewhat) accurately know how many calories I'm burning. The past few weeks, I've noticed that I'm not burning the same amount of calories as I used to even though I'm increasing intensity. I'm dripping sweat and breathing hard, but just not hitting the same calorie burn. I have an injury to my heel which is restricting me from anything with impact like running so I don't have a lot of options on what exercises I can do.

Absolutely my endurance is better, but since I'm increasing intensity I thought my calorie burn would still be high. Guess not. Has anyone else noticed the same thing??

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    My advice going forward is to rate every single workout session you do for now on. HRM while some claim that will tell you if you are working hard it never really did for me. Increase Heart rate means you burn more calories right which is very false.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    As your body becomes more efficient, you do more work with less energy expenditure.

Also if you have lost weight, don't forget to change the settings in your HRM if able.
  • got2befitnow
    got2befitnow Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    My advice going forward is to rate every single workout session you do for now on. HRM while some claim that will tell you if you are working hard it never really did for me. Increase Heart rate means you burn more calories right which is very false.

I'm confused? Increased heart rate doesn't mean increased calorie burn? I thought it did, which was part of my frustration since my heart rate (at least what the HRM is telling me) is still getting really high.
  • got2befitnow
    Options
    As your body becomes more efficient, you do more work with less energy expenditure.

Also if you have lost weight, don't forget to change the settings in your HRM if able.

Good point! I updated it a while back, but I think I've lost about another 10 pounds since then. Thanks!
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I'm confused? Increased heart rate doesn't mean increased calorie burn? I thought it did, which was part of my frustration since my heart rate (at least what the HRM is telling me) is still getting really high.

So do people burn more calories watching a movie that gets there heart rate pumping faster at rest?

How about saunas heart rate goes up do you burn more calories?

I might even one it up but don't know for sure. I always want to jump rope in a sauna to see if I can get my jump rope workout done in a sauna. Would i burn more calories from the heat causing increase heart rate. I don't think so.
  • got2befitnow
    Options

So do people burn more calories watching a movie that gets there heart rate pumping faster at rest?

How about saunas heart rate goes up do you burn more calories?

I might even one it up but don't know for sure. I always want to jump rope in a sauna to see if I can get my jump rope workout done in a sauna. Would i burn more calories from the heat causing increase heart rate. I don't think so.

Hahahaha!! Okay, okay. Point taken. ;) I never really thought of it like that. Obviously there's still more I need to learn, but I guess I didn't have to lose 40 pounds by knowing all the ins and outs of weight loss and working out! :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

If you watched a scary movie did you burn more calories(heart rate spikes) then running? HRM is better for the spin class and elliptical. Weightlifting and weight classes will not give you an accurate reading. So, personally, if I was wearing the HRM I'd be wearing it for steady state cardio and the bpm. bpm=beats per minute so I'd know if I was reaching a threshold like lactate or not. As far as burn(caloric), I'd find a measurement other then the HRM and be consistent with the device versus the HRM. Best of luck.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

No it doesn't

The way a HRM gives you an estimated calorie burn is based on a mathematical formula from from studies linking oxygen uptake and hr in steady state cardio ...rowing, cycling and running

Using it for anything other than steady state is nowhere close to accurate ...it's not the same in a spin class or doe HIIT or weights

But you do burn fewer calories as you get fitter which is why progressive intensity is important
  • yopeeps025
    edited July 2015
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

If you watched a scary movie did you burn more calories(heart rate spikes) then running? HRM is better for the spin class and elliptical. Weightlifting and weight classes will not give you an accurate reading. So, personally, if I was wearing the HRM I'd be wearing it for steady state cardio and the bpm. bpm=beats per minute so I'd know if I was reaching a threshold like lactate or not. As far as burn(caloric), I'd find a measurement other then the HRM and be consistent with the device versus the HRM. Best of luck.

Scary movies don't increase my heart rate. :sad:
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    bump
  • got2befitnow
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Thanks so much!! I just read this and it absolutely helps me understand this better!
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    What type of HRM do you use, I have the V800 when I updated my Vo2, my calorie burn went down, and it takes longer to reach my daily goal.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Good point! I updated it a while back, but I think I've lost about another 10 pounds since then. Thanks!

Yeah, I agree. There is less of you to move, therefor it takes fewer calories to do it.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

You're not burning calories because your heart rate is increased, your heart rate increases as a consequence of burning energy. As your CV fitness improves you move more oxygen per stroke, so fewer beats are required to fuel the same energy expenditure.

Setting up your VO2Max might help improve, although there are many more variables involved. If you do that it should be less wrong.
  • got2befitnow
    Options
    What type of HRM do you use, I have the V800 when I updated my Vo2, my calorie burn went down, and it takes longer to reach my daily goal.

I have an old model HRM. It's a Polar F4. After reading the blog that was sent my way, I definitely appreciate that I need something newer that updates my Vo2. Time to start saving my pennies for something more accurate!
  • got2befitnow
    Options
    You're not burning calories because your heart rate is increased, your heart rate increases as a consequence of burning energy. As your CV fitness improves you move more oxygen per stroke, so fewer beats are required to fuel the same energy expenditure.

Setting up your VO2Max might help improve, although there are many more variables involved. If you do that it should be less wrong.

I didn't know anything about Vo2 until I just did some reading about it (thanks @rabbitjb!). Just when I thought I was getting a handle on my fitness and body, it just kicks me in the *kitten*! Time to do some research for a new HRM which will be "less wrong". :)

Thanks everyone for your help!!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    As you get more fit you may consider taking on more challenging cardio.

I have progressively increased my cardio and exercise to levels I really never thought would happen.

The body is awesome at adapting to challenges. A year and a half ago I walked a mile and it was a good workout. Over the weekend I rode my bike 43 miles, and it was a good workout

Keep pushing yourself. It's the push, not just the activity that matters.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Time to start saving my pennies for something more accurate!

Given the training you do, accuracy isn't really a concern for you. Heart rate is not a good indicator of calorie expenditure in any of these activities.

If you're using it to support heart rate zone training then it may be worth investing in something else, if you're after calorie counts, then I wouldn't bother.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

No, that's not correct in any meaningful sense.

OP - your HRM is over-estimating your burn. As you get fitter, that over-estimation goes down, especially for the types of exercises you are doing, for which an HRM will is unsuitable anyway.