Can't get the same calorie burn as I used to

Options
2»

Replies

• labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You are getting more efficient at what you are doing and burning less because of it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    My advice going forward is to rate every single workout session you do for now on. HRM while some claim that will tell you if you are working hard it never really did for me. Increase Heart rate means you burn more calories right which is very false.

I'm confused? Increased heart rate doesn't mean increased calorie burn? I thought it did, which was part of my frustration since my heart rate (at least what the HRM is telling me) is still getting really high.

The more fit you are the higher your V02Max which means you burn more cals at the same HR (intensity level) than you once did. The problem with most HRMs is they don't allow you to change the VO2 max component of the of the calculation. Besides that, if you happen to have lost weight you will also burn less cals, as you are moving less mass.
  • got2befitnow
    got2befitnow Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    All such great advice! I guess I'm just concerned about making sure I stay within my calorie count. I'm about 15 pounds away from my goal, and want to do everything I can to get there. I don't want to over estimate my calorie burn, but I also want to know at least a ball park of what calories I have to play with. Once I get this injury better, hopefully I won't stress about it too much since right now I'm limited on what I'm able to do.

You've all persuaded me though that the HRM may not be the best thing for me. Thanks so much for all the support!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    My advice going forward is to rate every single workout session you do for now on. HRM while some claim that will tell you if you are working hard it never really did for me. Increase Heart rate means you burn more calories right which is very false.

I'm confused? Increased heart rate doesn't mean increased calorie burn? I thought it did, which was part of my frustration since my heart rate (at least what the HRM is telling me) is still getting really high.

So do people burn more calories watching a movie that gets there heart rate pumping faster at rest?

How about saunas heart rate goes up do you burn more calories?

I might even one it up but don't know for sure. I always want to jump rope in a sauna to see if I can get my jump rope workout done in a sauna. Would i burn more calories from the heat causing increase heart rate. I don't think so.

Yes indeed, they do. Increased heart rate uses up more calories than resting. It MUST. However, the increase is quite small.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ksuh999 wrote: »

So do people burn more calories watching a movie that gets there heart rate pumping faster at rest?

I might even one it up but don't know for sure. I always want to jump rope in a sauna to see if I can get my jump rope workout done in a sauna. Would i burn more calories from the heat causing increase heart rate. I don't think so.

Yes indeed, they do. Increased heart rate uses up more calories than resting. It MUST. However, the increase is quite small.

Lol Wut?

Define small
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ksuh999 wrote: »

LOL saunas don't burn more calories or that would be a fad to lose weight right now.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As your body becomes more efficient, you do more work with less energy expenditure.

Not entirely accurate. If your mass remains the same it still takes the same amount of energy to run 5 miles, your heartrate may be lower and your cardiovascular fitness is probably better but it's still physics and it takes a certain amount of energy to move a given mass over a distance.

To the OP, part of your dilemma may be caused by your HRM's faulty algorithm that correlates, in a linear fashion, heart rate to caloric expenditure.