the struggle is REAL!! why does cheese have to be so much calories!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• lafoster13
    lafoster13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do low carb, low fat, and low calorie. It's hard. I have gallstones and everything makes me sick here lately, so I'm trying to watch myself, I don't want surgery.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have reduced fat cheddar, still yummy! Treat myself to Brie on occassion. IIFYM.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    just buy better quality cheese... i love cheese and will not give it up.. i just started buying better flavor/quality to enjoy it more... good luck
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    lafoster13 wrote: »
    I got cheese sticks but dang 100 calories.... I'm gonna have to eat ALOT more veggies... ALOT

@lafoster13 there are 50 calorie string cheese sticks. I always have them on hand.

Also if you grate your cheese, it seems like more (psychological, I know, but works for me). I splurge on good cheese, because I eat less

I will not give it up...................cheese, glorious cheese.

Weight Watcher cheese sticks only have 50 calories. That's the one I usually get. I did learn how to make my own mozzarella cheese and ricotta cheese. They are so much better than most store bought brands. Parmesan and blue cheese are my all time favorites though. I like to mix blue cheese with FF plain Greek yogurt along with assorted herbs and spices to create a dip or salad dressing. And I like to make cheese crisps with parmesan cheese. I take tablespoons of finely shredded parmesan cheese, place about an inch and half apart on a cookie sheet (I use my Silpat to line the pan), and bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. They are great. Sometimes I finely chop up some turkey pepperoni and mix it with the cheese before I bake it. Then I dip the crisps in salsa or marinara sauce as a snack. I've actually found that you can bake almost any hard cheese like that and it will crisp up nicely.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can also try farmers markets for a variety of cheese. though that just might be by me. they always have a ton of cheese
  • Rmntrose
    Rmntrose Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make pizza's at least 15 times a week and subs....believe me....I completely understand. I hear though, that non processed cheeses have no carbs which make them less fattening in a way. So I am at least trying to stick to REAL cheese.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I love cheese. I eat it at moderation, like 0.5 oz of Pecorino Romano with an apple, or 1 TBSP of crumbled feta with my salad. I like Asiago Fresco with Corn on the Cob ( 0.5 oz of cheese per corn ear).
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Suzley wrote: »
    I used to think that a life without cheese was not worth living! In Devon there are over 100 different local varieties! (Used to work in artisan food business) but now I know I can't be a healthy weight and eat all the cheese! I still have a cheese triangle now and then but if I keep a wedge of real cheese in the fridge then it's not safe!!! Also hard not to have my second fave thing with it, red wine by the gallon!!!!

Red wine and cheese are two of my favorite things.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    50-calorie light string cheese
    50-calorie light Babybel cheese
    35-calorie Laughing Cow cheese wedges (various flavors)

I also use 2% shredded Mexican cheese, which is 80 calories for 28g (1/4 cup). Same with part-skim shredded mozzarella, and the finely shredded kind is particularly amazing for some reason.

As for cheese on sandwiches, I like the 2% American slices (oh no, processed non-cheese - gasp!), but I also like the Sargenta ultra thin provolone, swiss, cheddar, etc. slices. I believe they're 45 calories per slice.

I don't do fat free cheese because it just seems wrong, but I know plenty of people that use fat free shredded cheddar. It's only 45 calories for 28g, so almost half the 2% or part-skim varieties.

If you only like the full fat "real" cheese, then you're just going to have to limit portion sizes. Everything in moderation - no need to give up cheese entirely.
    I'm trying to do low carb, low fat, and low calorie. It's hard. I have gallstones and everything makes me sick here lately, so I'm trying to watch myself, I don't want surgery.

Uh, it's hard because it's impossible. Why are you doing low carb AND low fat? Carbs don't make you fat, nor does fat make you fat. These diets normally call for low carb/high fat or high carb/low fat. And for gallbladder problems, fat is the issue rather than carbs. Your fat and cholesterol should be on the low side and fiber should be high. Why do you think carbs are a problem?
  • lafoster13
    Options
    Low fat cause the stones, low carb cause fat
  • lafoster13
    Options
    Low carb and calories cause I'm fat
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

You should not eat low carb and low fat. When someone eats low carb, they need to eat high fat because their body begins to use fat as it's main source of energy.

Since you have gallbladder problems, you should be eating low fat to begin with. Carbs don't negatively affect gallstones.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Low carb and calories cause I'm fat

Low carb is only beneficial if you have diabetes, insulin resistance, hyperinsulinemia, hypoglycemia, insulinoma, PCOS, etc. You can eat carbs and lose weight. All that is needed to lose weight is a calorie deficit.
  • lafoster13
    Options
    I used to be on insulin resistance meds. So I need to lower my carbs too.