Losing Weight is NOT that simple..imo..

Replies

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    I spoke to a dietician and emailed another..both are fine with what I'm doing, especially considering my need to lose weight currently..but if I do need any further advise regarding my diet I will follow up with them again. And I'll also be closing my diary to spare others the concern.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    i had a need to lose weight But sure enough not lower than the 1200 recommended for women

Your body need nutrition's and you wont get enough..when your doctors are saying this...well i would certainly not stay with them.
    Your own gravings and that you find it difficult says enough

It dont have to be difficult and hard...not always easy..but sure enough not that hard.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Actually, weight loss all comes down to a caloric deficit. It's quite simple really.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    One chocolate covered strawberry for breakfast? What doctor or dietitian would recommend that? Calories are way too low for you op. That is why it's so hard for you.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Second, even if the labels can be that far off, they almost never are. And stuff like steaks will even out over time.
    I never get why everyone ignores the fact that they can be off in both directions. People assume every inaccuracy is an underestimate. So unless there is some compelling reason to believe that a significant majority of food labels are all too low, you can expect the variations to even out in the long term.

• BWBTrish
    Second, even if the labels can be that far off, they almost never are. And stuff like steaks will even out over time.
    I never get why everyone ignores the fact that they can be off in both directions. People assume every inaccuracy is an underestimate. So unless there is some compelling reason to believe that a significant majority of food labels are all too low, you can expect the variations to even out in the long term.

well not in my case :(

A pre-cut cake has a total amount of calories.... sure enough i get a piece that was 43 calories more than the label said...which means another piece is 43 less...but my hubby had the other piece...so it dont level out for me lol ;)

But yes it can go both ways.
    But when you have a big deficit like OP has ( and he even makes it bigger by under eating) you dont notice these inaccuracy's that much.

he should eat around the 2000 ( this is calculated by MFP so he has there a deficit of 1000 at least)
    He eats 900 to at the the most..sometimes 1700 so he doubles that deficit. Then comes here and says it is hard to do this...i am not surprised at all.

• pooks1976
    pooks1976 Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2015
    I find measuring food to be very challenging, even assuming all nutritional information is correct. Tonight I made Szechuan, that is 4 ingredients in one pan and rice made in the rice cooker.

Calories for rice are given based on dry rice. Ok weigh rice before it is cooked and after it is cooked to come up with a ratio.

Calories for meat are given uncooked. OK weigh each ingredient as it goes in to figure out a ratio, but that isn't quite right either because water is going to be lost when you cook. So compare uncooked weight to cooked, so you know how much water is gone.

OK now you know the ratios in the pot. Scoop out a serving, weigh it, and figure out your calories. Easy!
  • BWBTrish
    pooks1976 wrote: »
    I find measuring food to be very challenging, even assuming all nutritional information is correct. Tonight I made Szechuan, that is 4 ingredients in one pan and rice made in the rice cooker.

Calories for rice are given based on dry rice. Ok weigh rice before it is cooked and after it is cooked to come up with a ratio.

Calories for meat are given uncooked. OK weigh each ingredient as it goes in to figure out a ratio, but that isn't quite right either because water is going to be lost when you cook. So compare uncooked weight to cooked, so you know how much water is gone.

OK now you know the ratios in the pot. Scoop out a serving, weigh it, and figure out your calories. Easy!

nahhhh for me lol
    I just weigh everything and use the recipe builder here in MFP
    When the pot is done...weigh the total...divide the portions and take 1 or more servings
    done!

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member

nahhhh for me lol
    I just weigh everything and use the recipe builder here in MFP
    When the pot is done...weigh the total...divide the portions and take 1 or more servings
    done!

Yup. You really don't need to know the total weights of the cooked ingredients. Enter them raw into the recipe builder, then enter the number of servings after you know the weight of the finished product.
  • pineapple_pizza
    pineapple_pizza Posts: 34 Member
    You'll never be 100% accurate in logging your calories, but the point is to get as close as possible. Even considering the margin of error, you can know for certain you are in a deficit and losing. The trial and error just comes in figuring out how much and what works best for you, and you're right that it all takes patience. No one became overweight overnight, no one will lose weight overnight either.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member

Right..we all know that..that's the The trial and error just comes in figuring out how much and what works best for you, and you're right that it all takes patience. No one became overweight overnight, no one will lose weight overnight either.[/quote]

^^
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Holy *kitten* OP you only eat 900 calories? Wtf for?? My entire focus during the process was to eat as many calories as I can while still losing.

CICO is where it's at for me! People need to analyze their own data, monitor how they're feeling and how they're losing and adjust your calorie intake as necessary.

From someone who lost 120lbs eating 1900 calories a day - 5'9 female.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member

There is no need to find out how much it weighs after it's cooked. Just enter the raw weight.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,540 Member
    edited July 2015
    A collection of small errors unless systematically inaccurate in the same direction tends to minimize not maximize the overall error.

If you weigh your food and pick USDA/original/your own entries, you will come remarkably close.

Trackers such as Fitbit also seem to come remarkably close and certainly not overestimate buy a lot.

Adjusting to your results every few weeks is necessary not because the average tables are incorrect and overestimate but because your body also adapts
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP why are you eating only 900 calories??

That's is never a good ideal for a man, you should at least be eating 1600.

Yep. He's been doing that since he started. And he's had all the advice. But seems majoring in the minors is the way to go for some

The advice is always to log as accurately as you can using scales and taking care with the MFP database
    Accept the 20% variables in calorie estimates
    Cut MFP and machine calorie burns in half before entering them
    Judge your weight loss over periods of 6-8 weeks against target and adjust calories accordingly

And if you follow a VLCD, do so under direct medical supervision with blood tests and health checks a regular feature of this short term kick start approach
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Right..we all know that..that's the The trial and error just comes in figuring out how much and what works best for you, and you're right that it all takes patience. No one became overweight overnight, no one will lose weight overnight either.

^^[/quote]

Most sensible thing I've ever seen you post
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    The concept is simple. The actual act and commitment for some is hard. Also EXTREME deficits lead people the wrong direction to sustainable weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Cant believe your only eating 900-1220 ish calories per day? You can eat so much more. Please take the great advice people are giving you. There trying to help not hinder. Good luck.
  • maayan98
    maayan98 Posts: 15 Member
    I completely agree. I'm very happy to read your honest post, as so many people just say 'CICO', like it's the easiest thing in the world. I would also add that, since I don't live in a laboratory , I do need some social life which includes dinner parties and eating out. I'm not going to a friend's house who has been slaving in the kitchen for a nice dinner with a scale or ask about every ingredient and amount. It's not easy at all, even with the strongest will and best intentions. But they say that nothing that's worth having is easy to get.
  • maayan98
    maayan98 Posts: 15 Member
    After losing 40 pounds you have enough data that it really shouldn't be guesswork anymore. Accurately tracking your data points should all but eliminate the guesswork.
    After losing 40 pounds the body is completely different. What worked 40 pounds ago might not work now. Also when you start exercising, a 1 mile run might burn a lot of calories, but as you get fitter you will need to run more and faster to burn the same amount of calories.