Low cal emergency snacks!

Options

Replies

• SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    Honestly I don't eat snacks or meals based on them being low calorie as that's a silly reason to put something in my body.

Overall I don't really get that hungry bc I eat large filling meals with LOTS of protein, fiber and veggies that sustain you.

If you constantly are eating processed carbs/simple carbs, expect to be hungry most of the day and to struggle with your weight.

Hmmm not sure how to take your post. Seems sort of judgey, I hope it's just the way it came off, and that you're not actually being judgemental of those of us watching calories and eating healthy snacks. I didn't imply that I constantly eat carbs/simple carbs. The post is titled emergency snacks because it's about those out of the ordinary, strange situations where you unexpectedly find yourself hungry, despite your best efforts to not be. I wanted some inspiration for some new snacks that wouldn't derail my careful attempt at fitting an indulgent and special meal, into my calorie allotment for the day. Some people count carbs, some protein, some calories, some track food group portions. But let's not judge each other for which method we're using. I lose more weight on a high protein meal plan, so my protein ratio goal is higher than what my fitness pal suggested. I also eat a ton of ruffage high in fibre, and make sure to get enough grains also. But I didn't think that was necessary information for this post.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    What is your go to snack when you don't want to waste calories, but you're soooo hungry? When dinner is postponed, the amazing salad you made for lunch didn't end up tiding you over, you're starting before bed, etc. Example, I ate very well all day so I could dip my crab in butter at a special supper recently. Not a lot of butter, but enough to have worked for it all day. Then dinner was postponed, and I was starving. I drank a huge glass of water, it did nothing. What would you do?

I keep a 130 calorie mocha Kashi bar in my pocketbook for "emergencies" like going out for dinner and unexpectedly having to eat much later than planned. I don't especially like this flavor, so it's safe unless I'm really, really hungry.

I always budget a few hundred calories for a bed time snack.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Pickles. You can eat a lot of pickles and still not get very many calories.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My faves snacks are:
    Orange pepper and red pepper slices (so refreshing!)
    cucumber and tomato slices with salt
    Blueberries
    Rice crackers
    Rice cakes
    Boiled egg.
    Half can of canned salmon
    Cup of orange pekoe tea with my milk and sugar

I have some dietary restrictions (lactose, wheat, some veggies and fruits) so it makes it hard to find "snacks" that will keep in purse/with me when out. I get suddenly dizzy, hot, sick if I don't eat regularly. I try to aim my outings around my meals at home if I can. (Eat right before leaving etc)

If I could eat what I used to I would add cottage cheese, yogourt, and probably bread/toast with PB.

• fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I try not to snack much as I can get carried away especially with nuts (similar to the above mentioned reasons) but if I need to like straight after a workout or if I'm trying to save calories for the evening theeeeeen:
    •light baby bell
    •innocent kids smothies
    •rice cakes
    •turkey breast slices
    •gherkins
    •english tea
    •turkish tea (0cals)
    •an apple
    •semi-skimmed milk
    •sparkling mineral water

I've realised That I tend to drink inbetween meals rather than have solid snacks.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I fill my belly with water and tell my brain to stop whining...not trolling. That's what I really do!! Talking to myself helps sometimes! Especially if I know dinner is not far off! It a major crunch I will have a kashi dark chocolate almond chia seed granola bar. Ab 140 cals and yummy!!
  • BeginnersBootcamp
    BeginnersBootcamp Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love lettuce! Nice crispy lettuce, like a bunny lol
    Or pickles
  • mimimunchery
    mimimunchery Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots or a light and fit dannon Greek yogurt (80 calls and SO tasty). Also a coke zero often hits the spot!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A large tomato does it every time for me. 40 calories for a very large one. I just grab it, wash it and eat it, no special preparation necessary, not even slicing. Carrots, no special preparation, seem to have this satiating effect on me as well, so does coffee.

I personally find that when I deliberately prepare and put effort into a snack dish I keep expecting it to be as satiating as a real meal (and it never is) because the effort put in and the wait time while I prepare shifts my focus entirely to food, but a quick grab-and-eat/drink that I don't expect to satiate me curbs the appetite better than I expected leaving me content till meal time. It makes hunger just a passing thing that I acknowledge, deal with, and move on quickly rather than a point of focus. It's really a mind game for me, but of course everyone is different.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    A large tomato does it every time for me. 40 calories for a very large one. I just grab it, wash it and eat it, no special preparation necessary, not even slicing. Carrots, no special preparation, seem to have this satiating effect on me as well, so does coffee.

I personally find that when I deliberately prepare and put effort into a snack dish I keep expecting it to be as satiating as a real meal (and it never is) because the effort put in and the wait time while I prepare shifts my focus entirely to food, but a quick grab-and-eat/drink that I don't expect to satiate me curbs the appetite better than I expected leaving me content till meal time. It makes hunger just a passing thing that I acknowledge, deal with, and move on quickly rather than a point of focus. It's really a mind game for me, but of course everyone is different.

Same for me. I tend to grab cucumber, bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms (with nutella! Mmmmm...), deli chicken slices, etc. straight from the fridge and eat it. Always fills me up!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • ruffalicious
    ruffalicious Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    **strawberry slices with raspberry vinaigrette dip
    **fruit medley (strawberry,grapes,blueberries,pineapple etc)
    **weight watchers mozzarella cheese sticks
    **peanutbutter and banana
    **carrotts
    **yogurt with pecan/walnut
  • drxl34
    drxl34 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I make plain popcorn. A huge bowl of it is like ~250 calories and I can spend an hour just slowly munching away. It helps with my food cravings
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    1 glass of milk (skim, full fat, your choice) and a low sugar drinking cocoa = good time (especially heated up in the microwave).
  • SJG3581
    SJG3581 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got so used to pigging out on biscuits and anything sweet during the evenings for so many years now even though I wasn't really hungry that I really crave these things now. I'm full and there's really no excuse but I can't fight the 'Munchies', they come on every evening when I sit down and relax and are easily as bad as craving cigarettes after giving up 40yrs of smoking. It actually makes me grumpy so I've started using Kelloggs Bran Flakes. It only takes 30g, dry, in a dish and I'm sorted. I eat them like I would a bowl full of crisps or popcorn. I make a point of eating just one flake at a time and they last for ages and remove that craving to eat without doing as much harm as say biscuits, cake and chocolate would. Also, after denying myself sugar for so long, they actually taste very sweet and are really enjoyable.
  • jesoverley
    jesoverley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    pickled okra.
    or
    carrots with turkey pepperoni wrapped around them! (less than 100 calories, and fun to eat!)
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    A piece of Babybel cheese works well for me. The original has 70 calories and the Light (not fat-free, I can't stand fat-free cheese) has only 50 calories. Impossible to go "accidentally" over the serving size as they come in little wheels you have to peel.

A package of peanut butter crackers usually runs under 200 calories and has a little more staying power for a longer wait.
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Pickles. You can eat a lot of pickles and still not get very many calories.

I had a pickle last night for a snack when I was out of calories for the day! Thanks for putting this suggestion in my mind! :smile:
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Same for me. I tend to grab cucumber, bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms (with nutella! Mmmmm...), deli chicken slices, etc. straight from the fridge and eat it. Always fills me up!

Lots of good reminders on this board. I am going to stock up and prep peppers for next week!
  • timtakel
    timtakel Posts: 50 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1/4 of a Watermelon, that will be around about 500g -750g of fruit if it is not to big. With a lot of water (90%) and therefore mass. At 38kcal per 100g that comes out between 190 and 285kcal. It's important to weigh it.