cwolfman13 wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »
    OP asked for help with carb cravings. 4/6 said give in and eat the carbs. What is up with the extreme reverence for carbohydrates here?. There are so many healthier foods to chose.

Carb cravings are the worst for me when hungry so eat something filling and delicious and not what you were craving and then decide. Tonight I had to eat fried zucchina to make them stop, but it worked. Feeling full helps fight them off.

the foundation of my diet...probably 45-50% is oats, lentils, legumes, quinoa, brown rice, potatoes, *kitten* loads of veg, and a few servings of fruit daily. those are all carbs, just in case you weren't aware...

i'd be obliged if you could coherently explain what is so unhealthy about the foundation of my diet...and how can i make it so much healthier.

i'll wait....

You can eat any way you want, but should probably be aware that essential macronutrients make up only 50% of your diet composition. Calories matter, chemicals matter.

I am thrilled you have found a way that suits you. You need to respect the fact that your dietary responses are not at all exactly the same as every one else on this planet.

I'm still waiting....
    Calories matter, chemicals matter.

also, no *kitten* sherlock...where did I say it didn't. I am very much a self proclaimed whole foods snob...

but again...still waiting to here how my diet is so unhealthy...

I don't believe that quote was directed at you. You may have to wait a while...

Ummm....the poster quoted me...

you're a teacher right?

But not for your original request that you are waiting for.

You're an adult, right?

the poster stated there were more nutritious food sources than carbohydrates...i gave an example of some very nutritious carbohydrates and asked what was so inherently unhealthy about those choices and what would be a healthier choice...i said I'd wait...poster came back to basically say good for you...I said I was still waiting...

soooo....

also, thought you didn't like conversing with me...are you some kind of secret stalker?

Well, it's always interesting... I'll just say that.
  • MrsMajorvian
    MrsMajorvian Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me too,good luck!

• MrsMajorvian
    MrsMajorvian Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes,I understand cravings are hard!Don't use Adipex,though!

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    OP asked for help with carb cravings. 4/6 said give in and eat the carbs. What is up with the extreme reverence for carbohydrates here?. There are so many healthier foods to chose.

Carb cravings are the worst for me when hungry so eat something filling and delicious and not what you were craving and then decide. Tonight I had to eat fried zucchina to make them stop, but it worked. Feeling full helps fight them off.

the foundation of my diet...probably 45-50% is oats, lentils, legumes, quinoa, brown rice, potatoes, *kitten* loads of veg, and a few servings of fruit daily. those are all carbs, just in case you weren't aware...

i'd be obliged if you could coherently explain what is so unhealthy about the foundation of my diet...and how can i make it so much healthier.

i'll wait....

You can eat any way you want, but should probably be aware that essential macronutrients make up only 50% of your diet composition. Calories matter, chemicals matter.

I am thrilled you have found a way that suits you. You need to respect the fact that your dietary responses are not at all exactly the same as every one else on this planet.

I'm pretty sure his macronutrients make up 100% of his diet as all foods are a combination of carb, fat and protein ..which is , in fact, exactly the same as everyone else on this planet ...isn't it?

Protein and fat are essential macronutrients, carbohydrates are not.

He is a self directing adult and can compose his diet in any manner he prefers.

I disagree that carbs are not essential. The provide energy just as protein does. All the macros are important and provide a balanced diet.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

i'll wait....

I'm pretty sure his macronutrients make up 100% of his diet as all foods are a combination of carb, fat and protein ..which is , in fact, exactly the same as everyone else on this planet ...isn't it?

May I ask why you believe carbohydrates are not an essential macro?
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I've noticed a big trend on these forums. Whenever someone asks for help or suggests cleaning out their flexible dieting a bit everyone runs in with their pitchforks; especially when it comes to sugar.

Don't get me wrong, I follow iifym. I have ice cream and other treats from time to time, but when someone suggests cutting back on added sugar, a dozen people come flying in insisting "just fit into your macros you're not allergic iifym iifym!!"

Carbohydrates, sugar and iifym are fine, but if someone is looking to swap out some of their processed sugary snacks for more whole foods to motivate their healthy lifestyle, I think we should help and support them rather than demand they fit Poptarts and Cookie Crisp into their macros every day
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    According to "Wheat Belly", some people's gut microflora convert one of the compounds in wheat to a mild opiate--people with this situation can actually get addicted to (the trace opiate that forms from) wheat. If that might be the case with you then consider avoiding wheat the way people with celiac disease avoid gluten (basically, anything gluten-free is also wheat-free). It should take you about a week or 10 days, if I recall, to work through the irritability, cravings, etc. of opiate withdrawal at such a low level.

I haven't ever seen a claim of addictive side-products made by gut-bacteria when people eat potatoes, so those should be okay to continue so long as you stay within your carb target for the day.
    I believe the writer of wheat belly has made false claims like wheat has undergone transgenic (GMO) changes in the 70s - when there weren't transgenic crops then nor has transgenic wheat ever entered commercial production. He's also claimed he found eating original style wheat didn't upset his stomach - by trying two different breads without double blind testing; I.e. knowing which he was eating when he ate it.
    I'd ask for peer review research before taking his word on something.

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

i'll wait....

It seems to be the current scientific consensus:

"Clinical Effects of Inadequate Intake

The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life appar-
    ently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are con-
    sumed.
    However, the amount of dietary carbohydrate that provides for
    optimal health in humans is unknown. There are traditional populations
    that ingested a high fat, high protein diet containing only a minimal
    amount of carbohydrate for extended periods of time (Masai), and in
    some cases for a lifetime after infancy (Alaska and Greenland Natives,
    Inuits, and Pampas indigenous people) (Du Bois, 1928; Heinbecker, 1928).
    There was no apparent effect on health or longevity. Caucasians eating an
    essentially carbohydrate-free diet, resembling that of Greenland natives,
    for a year tolerated the diet quite well (Du Bois, 1928)."
    --USDA DRI, 2005 pg.275
  • senecarr
    Options

i'll wait....

By this kind of reasoning, you have no need for vitamin a either.
  • senecarr
    Options

i'll wait....

sumed.
    --USDA DRI, 2005 pg.275

Inuit, FYI, eat carbs during non-winter times. I believe newer research even shows that while low carb, their winter diet isn't even ketogenic - blubber stores glucose at levels that prevent ketosis when consumed.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

i'll wait....

sumed.
    --USDA DRI, 2005 pg.275

Inuit, FYI, eat carbs during non-winter times. I believe newer research even shows that while low carb, their winter diet isn't even ketogenic - blubber stores glucose at levels that prevent ketosis when consumed.

Take it up with the USDA, I didn't write the manual.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

i'll wait....

sumed.
    --USDA DRI, 2005 pg.275

It seems to me you have taken one paragraph out of 75 pages and quoted it because it supports your view. The clinical studies were done on rats and chickens. We are not rats and chickens. Also, the conclusions state more research is needed, which means findings are inconclusive.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

i'll wait....

sumed.
    --USDA DRI, 2005 pg.275

Take it up with the USDA, I didn't write the manual.

No, but you quoted just a paragraph of the manual. Did you have a chance to review the conclusions?
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

i'll wait....

sumed.
    --USDA DRI, 2005 pg.275

It seems to me you have taken one paragraph out of 75 pages and quoted it because it supports your view. The clinical studies were done on rats and chickens. We are not rats and chickens. Also, the conclusions state more research is needed, which means findings are inconclusive.

lol Yes, I cherry picked the first paragraph stating zero carbohydrate is needed to support "my view". Obviously I should have copy and pasted all 75 pages on carbohydrates to be sure the chicken and rat studies were included... my bad.

• umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

i'll wait....

By this kind of reasoning, you have no need for vitamin a either.

A is one of the essential vitamins. Not sure why you are saying that.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

i'll wait....

sumed.
    --USDA DRI, 2005 pg.275

lol Yes, I cherry picked the first paragraph stating zero carbohydrate is needed to support "my view". Obviously I should have copy and pasted all 75 pages on carbohydrates to be sure the chicken and rat studies were included... my bad.

Now, where did I say you should have posted the entire 75 pages?

I'll answer that-nowhere.

There is a lot of data in that report. You took one paragraph out that supports your view. The fact that the conclusions state that more research needs to be done means the research is inconclusive. What you quoted is not a conclusion, it's simply one paragraph out of the study. That's my point.

The extremes are to have an all or mostly carb diet or no carbs at all, and I wonder if both extremes would be impossible. It seems to me a moderate approach makes more sense.

But, then the OP just wants to know how to control the carb cravings, especially for pasta and potatoes. She does not ask about total elimination. In fact, it sounds to me like she's asking about moderation.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options

i'll wait....

sumed. However, the amount of dietary carbohydrate that provides for
    optimal health in humans is unknown.

Or in other words, just because you can survive/sustain life on no carbs doesn't mean it's necessarily the most healthy thing to do. I would venture to guess those "traditional populations" eat a high protein, high fat diet out of necessity based on geographic location and what's available to them. This doesn't mean we don't need carbs because 3 indigenous populations didn't in 1928.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options

I think if you're craving any particular food then work it into your calorie count or macros (if applicable). Wouldn't that be easier than depriving yourelf and potentially binging on something later on? It's not about giving in. That would imply eating carbs is wrong and that's wholly untrue. It's about eating a well-balanced diet that will help you meet your goals while hopefully working in the types of foods you enjoy. And anyway is eating fried zucchini any healthier than say a baked sweet potato?

Ah, no. OP asked for help with cravings of certain foods, she is not implying that the population is wrong to eat carbs.

I wasn't responding to the OP in my post though. I quoted your original reply and was responding to that in which you said there are healthier options than carbs, thus implying that carbs are unhealthy and bad to eat.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I would like to know why my posts get removed out of this thread

And if anybody can read this anyway because it seems i am ghosting.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Any idea to help with carb cravings other than just eating moderate amounts if fruits and using Stevia? I always crave pasta and potatoes!

I quoted the OP's post...just in case we have forgotten what the topic of this thread is. I believe that she asked for advice on how to reduce her craving for carbs...specifically pasta and potatoes.