Is 155 lbs too low for a male (5' 8")?

Options
13»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    RawIndian wrote: »
    This morning I finally dipped below 155 lbs. I feel great, wears 32" pants and overall I think I look smart. There is still some more fat around belly which I hope to get rid of very soon.

Now the question - Is 155 lbs too low for a male who is 5' 8" tall?

My plan is to get down to 150 lbs and then start strength training.

Start strength training NOW
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This morning I finally dipped below 155 lbs. I feel great, wears 32" pants and overall I think I look smart. There is still some more fat around belly which I hope to get rid of very soon.

It would be too low for me as a 5'8 female but it depends on your musculature and where you hold body fat
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It would be too low for me as a 5'8 female but it depends on your musculature and where you hold body fat

Really, 155 or 150 would be too low? Do you have a lot of muscle?
    I am 5'10 and maintain at 145... But that is not with a lot of muscle..

Anyway OP, why wait with strength training?
    And I think 150 lbs is totally fine.

• charitys_aloette
    charitys_aloette Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Never wait to start strength training. You'll see the biggest and quickest results, once you start.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    My sons are both over 6', well muscled and healthy. One weights 142, one 153. Do start training.

Both of your sons are skinny for being over 6'. I'm 5'9, 160 lbs could only imagine if I was at 135 lbs (would put me around the same appearance as your sons for my height) NothanksJeff
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Really, 155 or 150 would be too low? Do you have a lot of muscle?
    I am 5'10 and maintain at 145... But that is not with a lot of muscle..

Anyway OP, why wait with strength training?
    And I think 150 lbs is totally fine.

I'm currently 157 but my goal weight was initially 165 then adjusted to 160 and I want to stay around there because it's where I'm happiest with my body although I'm happy to continue to recomp at maintenance.

My body aesthetic ideal is fit, strong and soft ...I like having a shape to my musculature but not a low BF ..my BF% is around 23 which at my age is fine by me. I'm a US size 6. I perceive that I weigh much heavier than I look (I may be mistaken) which may be down to frame size, bone density, where I am genetically programmed to carry fat and yes my musculature

I don't consider myself particularly muscly ...feel free to check my av and pics and judge for yourself
  • tonysan65
    tonysan65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

You should be doing the strength training already. Strength training will help you loss weight, although at 155 you are in a great place.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My boyfriend is 5'8-ish and 160-ish.

He looks best around 145. ;)

My suggestion would be to go off body fat percentage.
  • MySizeisMyChoice
    MySizeisMyChoice Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I'm 150lbs. I think 150-155lbs is perfect for me, as I'm big boned. I think you frames determines what weight is perfect for you.