Is personal trainer worth it? Tell me your experience ?

Options
i am thinking about getting a personal trainer/nutritionist. Because I am having a difficult time. Please tell me your experiences and things to look for. How do I know if someone is qualified ? The average cost or how much you paid? Your personal experiences good and bad?

Thanks!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about the trainer too.

If you can, I would see a dietician rather than a nutritionist; they are certified and may have more training.
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a coach. She is a young lady that has been in competitive sports most of her life. She doesn't have any formal training but she is helping me get results in my weight training. I really believe that trainers should not be giving you advice on your diet. They are there to help you achieve greater performance. If you need someone to help get you motivated then that's what they are there for. A dietitian is always a great idea, they are health care professionals that have an insane amount of schooling (at least where I live in Canada). They are also going to help you lose weight safely with a healthy caloric deficit. I have heard some trainers suggest eating 800 or less calories while still working out for 6 days a week. That is insane and not based in science.
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am so lucky my boyfriend is a strength coach so he helps me a lot. I think i'd be floundering about if i didnt have him. He has all these advice about the proper food to eat to gain muscle or lose fat or both. Plus how to have proper form in the exercises. Quality over quantity every single time.

It would be good to hire a coach at least for the first month if not always to get your form and healthy habits right. They are sooo worth the money. You learn so much! Saying that, i've read so many success stories on here who did it all on their own. So i guess in the end it's all up to you. If you have the budget, go ahead! It will make your weight loss journey that much easier having someone there teaching and pushing you to your limit. But they are not essential to your success.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a personal trainer for over 1 year. I've lost 95 lbs & 50 inches and am many times stronger than before. I felt that the personal attention of a trainer was the only way I could get past my barriers and get on the right track. I do private sessions 2 x/ week and one class/ week. He has also helped with my nutrition & wright loss but is not a dietician. Actually he is more detailed & more perfonsliEd than any dietician I've met with.

Get a recommendation or referral if you can. ACE/IDEA is the training: certifying organization for trainers. They should meet with you for a no cost consult before starting. Then do a couple of workouts to see if you are compatible. A hood trsiner will start where you are and gradually but steadily progress you. Of course you still have to do all the hard work & be committed. Try doing a google search for "how to find a personal trainer" and you should get done good articles. Prob even dome from MFP. You can message me if you have other questions.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I found a registered dietician through my doctor's office with a referral (it was covered by provincial health care, so idk about the cost in other places). I'm curious about the personal trainer as well, because I've read about the dangers of having an under-qualified one.
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym years ago when I first noticed I had gained a little weight, I got a trainer there and I really liked him because he did circuit training and strength training type exercises with very little cardio (he'd have me HIIT for like 10 minutes maybe). But then he quit that gym to work at a different gym and I couldn't have him as my trainer and more and my personality didn't jive with the new trainer they put me with so I just gave up.

For me, if I'm going to have someone hang out with me for an hour several times a week, we BETTER get along. And, the food advice from the first trainer was basically very sensical and he knew a lot about good protein sources... the second trainer was like "You're a small woman, you can eat like 1000 cals a day and be fine, you'll lose weight so fast!"

Uh.... no.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    Being a trainer by profession, I'll be the first to tell you that it WILL depend on the trainer you get. There are so many out there that have a cert, but lack a lot of common knowledge when it comes to physiology, kinesiology and basic nutrition.
    Find one by watching how they train others and whether or not you've seen some results with some of the clients. It's fine for a PT to be cordial and make their client laugh, but if there isn't some hard work or sweating going on too, then it's possible that PT is nothing more than just a talking partner who just gives directions without real direction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I think a trainer is important at least in the beginning to make sure you're lifting correctly for safety and to get the results you want. Lift with bad form and you probably aren't doing the exercise correctly and won't get any development at best. At worst, you could really hurt yourself as this stuff is HEAVY!!!!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Some perspectives on choosing a good trainer:

http://body-improvements.com/articles/industry-articles/how-to-select-a-personal-trainer/
    http://www.stumptuous.com/how-to-choose-a-personal-trainer
    http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/personal-trainer-break-up-signs/

Cost depends on location, and other factors.

What are you having a difficult time with exactly?
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I have been through 4 trainers in 3 1/2 years. Some are good some are not. You need to be very specific with them about what you expect. The trainer I currently have has a 4 year degree in kinesiology. He had to study nutrition as part of his degree. He has helped me lose 80 pounds and I am more fit than I have ever been in my life. This summer I started doing triathlons. I signed for another 5 months hoping to get to goal weight by the end of the contract.
    I train 2 x per week. I pay $48.00 per session.
    I workout 1 1/2 to 2 hours 6 days a week.
    My gym membership is $20.00/month and includes unlimited classes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think that if they're good, they couldn't help but be helpful.

I didn't care for the guy I tried. He started explaining muscle contraction to me. He had only the most basic understanding and even got part of that wrong. I didn't need an explanation on muscle contraction. I know more than enough already. And he wouldn't stop talking nutrition, which was annoying since I specifically said I just wanted workout advice and had weightlifting questions. Then I found out why he wouldn't shut up about muscle contractions and nutrition...

He had magical powders/shakes I could buy to assist me with getting my nutrients and having "solid" muscle. "Solid" was a word he liked a LOT. He also nodded his head a lot while talking about the powder. I think someone told him that if you nod your head, people will think "Yes, I should buy that."

When he found out that I really, truly was not going to buy his magic powder, he was pretty much done trying to help.

The first question I'd ask, were I to try again, would be, "Are you going to try to sell me stuff or will you help me with (whatever I want)?" A person who is good at their job wouldn't be offended, I don't think.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I haven't been fortunate in my experiences to have found a good trainer. They all (the 2 of them before I stopped bothering) didn't listen to what my goals were or what I wanted to do, didn't take what I was willing to do into consideration, and built me a plan I couldn't do because of my injury. It was a waste of time and money for me and I ended up more frustrated than anything else.

But that was just my experience. Others have different experiences.
  • princessbride42
    princessbride42 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had a great trainer at the y. I had very specific goals. I wanted to lose body fat down to 25%, I wanted to improve my balance and stability, and I wanted to be able to keep up with my husband while hiking. I explained this when I talked to the head trainer, and he was able to match me up with a great guy. My trainer didn't talk down to me, recommended mfp, and individualized my sessions for my goals. He was also willing to do half hour sessions because of budget. I think you need to be specific and if it starts poorly change trainers. In three months from January to April of last year I was able to make noticeable progress in all of my goals and achieve all of them.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    spend the money on a CPT certification course, you will learn so much more, and be able to apply that knowledge to your specific situation with which you are already intimately familiar with.

ETA: ACSM CPT here, love it!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get a good one! I had one who was an idiot. Seriously, the woman told me I should ONLY be lifting the bar! only-new-yorkers-would-understand-8.gif
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    i am thinking about getting a personal trainer/nutritionist. Because I am having a difficult time. Please tell me your experiences and things to look for. How do I know if someone is qualified ? The average cost or how much you paid? Your personal experiences good and bad?

Thanks!

I have not had a personal trainer in years, but only one of about three was well worth the money I spent. Why?
    • He taught me about logging food and counting calories to stay within a certain calorie goal.
    • He taught me how to properly weight lift.
    • He taught me about properly fueling my body for workouts.

That's it. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Being a trainer by profession, I'll be the first to tell you that it WILL depend on the trainer you get. There are so many out there that have a cert, but lack a lot of common knowledge when it comes to physiology, kinesiology and basic nutrition.
    Find one by watching how they train others and whether or not you've seen some results with some of the clients. It's fine for a PT to be cordial and make their client laugh, but if there isn't some hard work or sweating going on too, then it's possible that PT is nothing more than just a talking partner who just gives directions without real direction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yep. Well said.
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    At my gym I got a personal trainer who I really liked. After a few sessions, I signed up for a half-year, paid in advance. He was a real young kid, but understood how to work with older clients, like myself. Then, the trainer quit to go to another gym. I never found another trainer who I worked well with. The next trainer was twenty years older, but had no idea how to work with older clients. I was scheduled for knee replacement surgery in six months, and I had specific orders from my doctor to avoid squats, lunges, and knee bends. This was in my paperwork and I told him personally. Next week, he tried to start me on squats and lunges -- I reminded him of my medical restrictions. Following week, he tried to start me on squats and lunges. Plus, he had recently lost 90 pounds himself, and never tired of bragging about it. I got so tired of hearing him talk about himself and never seem interested in me and my needs (you know, the paying client). And his nutritional advice was laughable.

I tried a couple other trainers, but there was never a good fit. They all knew one type of routine and tried to make you fit into it. I asked each about getting started on a heavy lifting program, and they said that wasn't a good idea. Sheesh! I finished out the sessions, just because I paid for them, and never signed up again.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    A lot of them, they are just out to sell their goods and services, and will give nutritional advice with little actual value. But, not all of them are like that. So the trick is finding a good one.
    I guess it really depends on your goal. Do you need someone to motivate you, help set up workout schedules? Help you work on form and technique? Then perhaps it would be worth it, but be really careful if they start up any high-pressure sales stuff or do anything that makes you uncomfortable, don't put up with it.
  • nicoleexo2015
    nicoleexo2015 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I'm curious about the trainer too.

If you can, I would see a dietician rather than a nutritionist; they are certified and may have more training.

Okay thanks!
    I didn't know there was a difference