What are your go to sources for protein?

Or other macros?
I currently follow IIFYM.. have my macros set to 40/35/25 carbs-fat-protein, but i sometimes have a hard time finding sources for protein. I'm not really a big fan of protein shakes but i was wondering what some of you could suggest for other food sources . I'll open my diary for the time being.
Thanks!

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    My go to's:
    Chicken - I eat tons of chicken
    Salmon
    Shrimp
    Cod
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Ground turkey, chicken, tuna, beef (once in awhile), shrimp, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, frozen yogurt, quest bars, beef jerky.
  • longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    i have chicken, beef and fish. i have 70g a day.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Chicken, Tuna, Salmon, Steak, Minced (ground) Beef, Bacon Medallions, some Lamb.
    For quick Protein, i eat a couple of Roast Beef slices straight out the packet (the ones that are normally 4 in a pack).
    I don't do Protein Shakes or Protein Bars either.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Fish, other lean-ish meat, low fat dairy, especially cottage cheese and greek yogurt.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Any meat, seafood and protein shakes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • prettywingss04
    prettywingss04 Posts: 29 Member
    thanks everyone, i hadn't thought about cottage cheese. Do you just eat it straight out the container?
    I usually eat my ground turkey/ chicken breast but I get tired of it so fast.
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2015
    I don't eat anything out of the container anymore, but I just spoon it onto my plate. I like it best plain. I usually eat as a side dish with my breakfast omelet or dinner, though.

Greek yogurt I eat with fruit, usually.
  • GoChica
    GoChica Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks for everyone's ideas on protein. My quick protein fixes are cottage cheese, whey protein for shakes. Animal protein: Chicken, Turkey, Salmon, Cod, Shrimp, Tuna, Bison, Beef. Vegetable Protein: peanut butter, almonds. I know what you mean about getting tired of chicken/turkey. They can get boring pretty quickly. Sprucing it up with different veggies, herbs can make them taste a bit more palatable.
  • lemurcat12
    Pork chops and tenderloin are typically quite lean, so deserve a mention.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Usually, beef (steaks and burgers), pork, and occasionally chicken, if it can be adequately disguised or is excellent on its own (i.e. expensive or made by someone else). Also cottage cheese (1/2 cup, plain), Greek yogurt, eggs.

I'm trying to include more fish and shellfish, though. I like grilled or smoked mackerel, and shrimp and clams (from frozen; they're cheap at a local Asian supermarket) quickly sauteed in olive oil with garlic, paprika, and lemon. Sometimes I try to make that into a quick/fake bouillabaisse by adding onions and a bit of tomato sauce and white wine. ( [url=" http://familystylefood.com/2009/08/julia-childs-bouillabaisse-recipe/"]Here[/url]'s a recipe for the real thing)
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Protein waffles for breakfast, Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder, blueberries, flax seed, and chia seed. I do try to get my protein in with animal protein, though.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Meat, tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, tofu, edamame
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Chicken, tune, protein shakes
  • prettywingss04
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Pork chops and tenderloin are typically quite lean, so deserve a mention.
    I'm not sure what it is about pork but I get a headache every time I eat it. Thanks for the suggestion for cottage cheese I will try it as a side to my breakfast
  • prettywingss04
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Usually, beef (steaks and burgers), pork, and occasionally chicken, if it can be adequately disguised or is excellent on its own (i.e. expensive or made by someone else). Also cottage cheese (1/2 cup, plain), Greek yogurt, eggs.

I'm trying to include more fish and shellfish, though. I like grilled or smoked mackerel, and shrimp and clams (from frozen; they're cheap at a local Asian supermarket) quickly sauteed in olive oil with garlic, paprika, and lemon. Sometimes I try to make that into a quick/fake bouillabaisse by adding onions and a bit of tomato sauce and white wine. ( [url=" http://familystylefood.com/2009/08/julia-childs-bouillabaisse-recipe/"]Here[/url]'s a recipe for the real thing)
    Mmmmm thank u ! ☺️
  • prettywingss04
    GoChica wrote: »
    Thanks for everyone's ideas on protein. My quick protein fixes are cottage cheese, whey protein for shakes. Animal protein: Chicken, Turkey, Salmon, Cod, Shrimp, Tuna, Bison, Beef. Vegetable Protein: peanut butter, almonds. I know what you mean about getting tired of chicken/turkey. They can get boring pretty quickly. Sprucing it up with different veggies, herbs can make them taste a bit more palatable.

It does feel very repetitive! I've never tried bison so I'll def be trying that and I forgot about shrimp ! I love a variety
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Can also blend the cottage cheese and add like a ranch seasoning for substitute ranch dressing. Add a little milk or water to get your preferred consistency. I suppose you could also add oil for healthy fats though I have not tried that yet.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited July 2015
    thanks everyone, i hadn't thought about cottage cheese. Do you just eat it straight out the container?
    I usually eat my ground turkey/ chicken breast but I get tired of it so fast.

Cottage cheese is definitely one of my go-tos. I enjoy it with fresh fruit, but there are a ton of other ways people like to eat it. I tend to go with pineapple and some type of berry, but I like it with grapes and pear, too. The other day ate I made a mix of blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries and folded it into the cottage cheese. I find that the juiciness of the fruit mixes well with the creaminess of the cottage cheese.

Cottage cheese tends to be high in sodium, so if that's something you watch, keep it in mind. There are low-sodium versions, but I haven't tried them.

Other fun sources are:
    Peanut Butter
    Chicken
    Nuts
    Soy
    Ice Cream (there's not a lot, but anytime I can get a macro from ice cream, I go with it).
    Fish

ETA: Eggs - how could I have forgotten the gorram eggs!

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2015
    My go to's:
    Chicken - I eat tons of chicken
    Salmon
    Shrimp
    Cod

This is pretty much where it's at. Although I keep getting parasitic worms in my cod. You can pick them out but it's kinda gross, I suggest you don't buy it from Costco if you have a gag reflex for that sort of thing. So I've been eating other white fish instead. Namely mahi mahi, talapia, hake, and I enjoy catfish.