Pizza?

Options
HikeCyclist
HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey everyone, I am new here but not new to MFP. I look forward to becoming an active participant in this community!

My question is, how many calories do you count for one slice of a large 14 inch plain cheese pizza? From a non-chain pizza place, no toppings, no thick crust.

MFP says that Domino's has 300 cal per slice of a 14 inch plain pie. But for some reason I'm really not convinced. I'm under the impression that a slice of pizza may be a little bit more than that.

Thoughts??

Thanks!

Replies

• CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You really can't know exactly how many since you don't know exactly what ingredients this place used. I tend to think of dominos calorie counts as being somewhat accurate for dominos pizza. However, the amount of calories in your pizza could vary wildly because it did not come from dominos. The best thing to do would be to look online and see if your place has some sort of nutritional information published online. Just type in the name of the place followed by nutrition information and see if anything pops up. If you can't find anything then I guess you will just have to guess. I would go with something like 400 calories, but that is just a guess.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    When I go out to get pizza at a local chain, I look up the nutritional information for something similar at a larger chain. So when I get pizza I log pizza hut or dominos depending on which chain has something similar to what I am eating. 300 calories from dominos sounds about right.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Man I don't know. I live in NYC and I've had some monstrous slices that look like about 500 calories. I usually log something between 300-500 for a slice and enjoy.
  • HikeCyclist
    Options
    Haha I'm in North Jersey so I get ya about the gigantic slices at some places in the city. I would probably count nearly 500 for a slice of those puppies too.

Unfortunately the mom-and-pop type of pizza places around here don't have nutritional info on their websites :(

• HikeCyclist
    Options
    Thanks for all The replies so far!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    at least i would log 400-450 cals, that's what I've done before.. like just on friday i was in jersey in a non- chain pizza place and ate 1 slice and they were glorious huge slices!
  • arditarose
    Options
    My method is to usually eat two slices, log 600 calories, and cross my fingers (if I did cardio, I might do that).
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    300 calories sounds like a good guess for a 14" slice. My local pizza chain is 190 for a 12" slice and 330 for a 16" slice (so a 14" slice, if they did make it, is around 275 calories).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If I got some from a local place and they couldn't give me calorie info, I'd pull up Pizza Hut, Dominos and Donato's and then pick the one with the highest calorie total and log that.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cheese pizza from Little Caesar's pizza is 250 per 1/8th of a 14'' round.
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Don't use the MFP thing as a reason to remove things you like eating in normal portions. 3-4 seem right less without the crust.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i logged a regular slice of pie at 168 calories yesterday...

Ron-Swanson-Says-Dont-Even-Care.gif
  • HikeCyclist
    Options

LMAO
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Unless it's Domino's pizza, I can't eat the crust, without Ranch dressing; whereas Domino's flavors their crust. So from a Mom & Pop pizza shop, I assume that an XL slice with Ranch dressing; is approximately 600 Calories. I'll never consume that many Calories, in 1 sitting; so I split it into 2 slices & eat the other half later and/or I just won't consume the crust at all & then I'd guesstimate, that before I split it in half; the slice without dressing is 400 Calories.
  • HikeCyclist
    Options
    I've had thoughts about removing the mozzarella, weighing it, weighing the bread and counting it as Dough, and putting in at least 75 cal for the sauce and oil LOL but again a lot of pizza places load up their sauce with sugar, parmesan cheese etc. Ughhh
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options

ahaha love it! :smiley:
  • arditarose
    Options
    I've had thoughts about removing the mozzarella, weighing it, weighing the bread and counting it as Dough, and putting in at least 75 cal for the sauce and oil LOL but again a lot of pizza places load up their sauce with sugar, parmesan cheese etc. Ughhh

Don't do that. It won't be as good when you reconstruct it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

de-constructed pizza. i see a doomed restaurant in my future.
  • arditarose
    Options

I always thought pizza in a cup sounded good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52jSB5s33aA
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I always thought pizza in a cup sounded good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52jSB5s33aA

Tacos in a bag are awesome. Pizza in a cup.....not so sure about that.

From a mom and pop place, I usually log 400 to 450. But my guess is no better than any of the others.