How do you find time to exercise?

Just curious, as I have a hard time getting up in the morning. I end up working out from like 9 to 10 pm after my son is in bed. Anyone have any tips to fit exercise in their day?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Would practicing good sleep hygiene help you get up in the AM? I have to push away from the computer by 9 PM in order to start my night time ritual in time to get to sleep early enough to exercise in the AM.

Healthy Sleep Habits

...Quick Sleep Tips

Follow these tips to establish healthy sleep habits:

Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
    Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least seven hours of sleep.
    Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
    If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
    Establish relaxing bedtime rituals.
    Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
    Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
    Limit exposure to light in the evenings.
    Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
    Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
    Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
    Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
    Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.

Read more: http://www.sleepeducation.com/essentials-in-sleep/healthy-sleep-habits
  • MayaEmProject
    MayaEmProject Posts: 18 Member
    Stop having hard time to get up and just do it! After 7-14 day you'll addjust. For some people late workouts work due to not oveareating of being bored in front of the tv, so do what suits you really. I preffer mornings, don't have to be bother about it anytime in the day, can have my normal make up all day long without redoing it or leaving it on my face during workout, and it actually gives me boost for all day long.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited July 2015
    There's nothing wrong with working out at 9 or 10 in the evening if it fits into your life best. My husband has an odd schedule and frequently goes to the gym at midnight.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited July 2015
    My sleep hygiene is apparently godawful.

I make a point of getting up earlier and just doing it. If it's important enough, almost anyone can make the time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    If you want to exercise at night, there is nothing wrong with that.

If you want to get up early to exercise, go to bed earlier. You either exercise later and sleep a bit later or exercise earlier and sleep a bit earlier. That's about what it comes down to.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    I just do it. I work 7:30-6 during the week and I'm on my feet all day. The last thing I want to do is be on my feet more, but I know it's the best thing for my body and it needs to be done. You just have to figure out what works best for your schedule. I absolutely can not wake up any earlier than I already since I'm not a morning person at all, so I force myself to work out after I get home from work.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I hate waking up in the AM to exercise and have learned from experience that it just doesn't work for me. So I make sure to schedule time later in the day and I just don't let myself deviate from it. My routine: I come home from work, reconnect with my husband and dogs for half an hour, and then exercise. I can then spend the rest of the evening cooking dinner, reading, watching TV, etc.

Getting it done is much more important than the exact time of day you do it. Are you happy working out from 9 - 10 PM? If it works for you, does it have to be earlier?
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Morning workouts just don't suit my schedule, and, even if they did, I wouldn't do them. I am NOT a morning person, so I don't want to think about that stuff first thing in the morning. I usually plan to work out right after my version of work (I'm a homeschooling mom), but when things come up and I can't work out when I'd planned, I wait about an hour after dinner and work out then (around 7:00 or 8:00).

I'm guessing that your son is probably part of what makes it harder to work out. I had the worst time figuring out when to work out when my kids were younger, but you can work around that. If your son is younger, can he maybe have his TV time while you're working out? That hour of TV time was workout time for me when my girls were little.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    I get up at 5 am to get it in. I know I'm not going to do it after work, I used to make too many excuses. Tho if night workouts work for you, no need to change.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    When I worked over nights at the hotel, I'd use the hotel gym for half an hour.
    Since then I've started a different job that has me walking 15,000+ steps a day so I just call it good and don't exercise =)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    There's at least 16 hours in the day to MAKE time for exercise. You just have to organize for it. Unfortunately, unless you make it a priority, you'll always find time not to do it. You don't need a gym, nor special equipment either. Basic plyometrics and body strength exercises are good enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    I find a spot where it fits in my schedule, and I do it. For me, that means getting up between 4:30 and 5:00 am. I know I won't do it after work, or, at least will have more excuses to not. I have done things like planned classes or runs, but I'm most consistent in the morning. If 9 works for you, keep it up. If not, fit in 10 minutes when you first get up, 10 minutes after dinner, etc. Or, carve out another place for an hour workout.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I don't find it...I make it.

It is a priority in my life.

For example I will go home today and change into my running gear and go for a 30min run before I make dinner...then I will start dinner (bbq) and go and do my weights while it's cooking or 20-30mins after I've eaten.

That is my schedule M-T...

Weekends I get up laze for a bit have coffee, go for a run...then I have all day to do what I need/want to do.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I often exercise at night. I don't think it matters when you do as long as you do it.
    30 minutes is not hard to fit into my day at all.
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    If you like working out at night keep at it. I'm a natural night owl but I have to make myself get up early to work out because life just gets in the way to much if I wait until later. My son and I have the same bedtime so I can get up early enough. Although it stinks not having time in the evening to decompress.
    Onmy work days there is no way I could get up any ealier (6am start) so I try to squeeze something in during my lunch break or something light after work. Even if I'm not getting an organized work out just taking my son on a long hike is more than I used to do.
  • jennb529
    jennb529 Posts: 4 Member
    Like everyone else says, make it a priority, no matter what time of day. For me, it has to be early morning or it just wouldn't get done. I lay my workout clothes out before I go to bed and put them on as soon as I wake up, even before I have my coffee. I put my water bottle in the fridge the night before and have the coffee ready to brew. At first it was literally dragging my butt out of bed to get in my workout, but now it's my routine and feels just like getting up to go to work and get the kids off to school, I just do it.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    I've always just had the habit of going right after work no matter what. Plans, hw or w/e has to wait until after the gym. I've recently decided to try morning workouts and so far i like it. Less crowded and I can relax after work.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    I love early mornings. I'm at the gym from 4:30ish to 6:30 whenever I can.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Can you exercise during your lunch break? That's what I do. It works well for me.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Just curious, as I have a hard time getting up in the morning. I end up working out from like 9 to 10 pm after my son is in bed. Anyone have any tips to fit exercise in their day?

Wake up earlier, sleep less... cut out TV time... lots of options.

Also the "I'm not a morning person" comments that ppl always make.... they're full of it. You adjust to waking up earlier like anything else in life, you're currently just accustom to going to bed later and sleeping in later.