How do you find time to exercise?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    finding time is a passive endeavor...trying to find time is what people do with things that aren't that high up on the priority list. when things are a priority, people tend to make the time. it helps when you can start looking at fitness and exercise as just another part of your day...just as important as taking a shower, brushing your teeth, going to work, etc.

the problem is that people tend to look at fitness and exercise as some kind of extra thing rather than just a part of their day. that said, you should also build flexibility into your fitness regimen...life happens...fitness is important, but so is work, family, etc. exercise for me is a priority, but sometimes life happens...like this past weekend, my wife was out of town so I had the kids for the weekend...I usually ride to and from the gym on Saturday to lift....obviously couldn't do that as I had no baby sitter or anything like that...so I missed that workout...you have to be flexible.

also, nothing wrong with working out in the evening.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Just curious, as I have a hard time getting up in the morning. I end up working out from like 9 to 10 pm after my son is in bed. Anyone have any tips to fit exercise in their day?

Wake up earlier, sleep less... cut out TV time... lots of options.

Also the "I'm not a morning person" comments that ppl always make.... they're full of it. You adjust to waking up earlier like anything else in life, you're currently just accustom to going to bed later and sleeping in later.

I think someone can adjust to virtually any schedule. But as long as everything is getting done (work, self-care, family/friend obligations, etc), what's wrong with having a preference for waking up earlier or later? There's nothing wrong with deciding you just don't like waking up earlier and exercising later in the day (providing the exercise is being done and it isn't just an excuse to avoid it).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So you have time to workout, you just want to change the time that you do so. Basically pick whatever activity you are doing earlier in the day that you can do in the 9-10 exercise slot and try swapping them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    Just curious, as I have a hard time getting up in the morning. I end up working out from like 9 to 10 pm after my son is in bed. Anyone have any tips to fit exercise in their day?

Also the "I'm not a morning person" comments that ppl always make.... they're full of it. You adjust to waking up earlier like anything else in life, you're currently just accustom to going to bed later and sleeping in later.

I think someone can adjust to virtually any schedule. But as long as everything is getting done (work, self-care, family/friend obligations, etc), what's wrong with having a preference for waking up earlier or later? There's nothing wrong with deciding you just don't like waking up earlier and exercising later in the day (providing the exercise is being done and it isn't just an excuse to avoid it).

Yup, it would only be a problem if the morning was the only time available to exercise and not being a morning person was the excuse to not exercise at all. But usually people have TV or computer time that they could give up in order to exercise.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Or you could exercise while your favorite show is on.

• truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There's at least 16 hours in the day to MAKE time for exercise. You just have to organize for it. Unfortunately, unless you make it a priority, you'll always find time not to do it. You don't need a gym, nor special equipment either. Basic plyometrics and body strength exercises are good enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This...Don't try to find time. Just make time...

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Yeah.. We bought a $100 exercise bike for that reason.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evenings. Morning is bad for me. I end up leaving the dishes til the next day since I work out every other day. I do the housework on the rest days and let it go on the gym days. That's the only place I can carve out the time from lol.
  • RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why it need to be done in the morning?
    I used to think that was how it HAD to be done. I would struggle as any other night owl would with having to get up that much earlier. I would literally dread waking up in the morning which in turn made workouts unpleasant for me. Finally one day I thought to myself why am I forcing myself to do this. I work from home so I can create my own schedule, there was no rule that I needed to get up at 6am to work out.

You mention that you have a child. depending upon the age of child you could work exercise time and family time together. You could play basketball or some other sport, you could go on bike rides, or take walks together. that's just a quick sort of list. you'd have to adjust for age and interests.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Or just skip the TV. To me my health is much more important than any POS tv show.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I sit down with my schedule next to me, and plan once a week when I'll get my daily exercise, and note it down next to that day. I work it around my work commitments, appointments, DD drop-off/pick-up, her outside commitments and my/DH's travel commitments, plus anything else that needs to get done.

The time of day thing is irrelevant. You'll find what works best for you with trial and error.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah.. We bought a $100 exercise bike for that reason.

Rebounders are great for TV too (bungee types are very quiet).
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am every weekday morning. I hate it. But I know myself well enough to know that if I try and do it after work, it will never happen. So I committed myself to getting up before work. I *kitten*, I moan, I try and talk myself out of it every morning, but I do it, and by 10 minutes into my workout, I'm happy I did.
  • daniellecollins20
    daniellecollins20 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Exercise during normal activities. Such as while you're folding laundry or doing the dishes. Then when you can't exercise you've still burned an extra 2-300 calories and don't feel as bad. It's especially important to sick to your nutrition guidelines on those days. I have a very active two year old that cries or yells at me if I try to exercise for too long so I usually get only 15 minutes in, but the short bursts throughout the day help create that calorie deficit we all desperately strive for.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

But why would I wake up earlier to gym in the morning, if I consistently go every day after work?

You're not holier-than-thou for being a morning person.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You just have to make time. I go to the gym over my lunch break (if my work schedule isn't too crammed), and I go at night after I get my 3 kids to bed. Sure this makes for a late night for me, I often don't get home until after midnight, but I'd rather get my workouts in, than not.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    My wife gets up at 3:45 to make it to her morning TRX class, then works from 6-3:30. I have the wake up routine with the kids and we do calisthenics, then head out to work 8-5. After work my wife picks up the kids from daycare and I workout, then we meet up at night for a night time walk/bike ride/etc.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I get up very early for work, so no morning workouts for me.

I have a gym at work so I sneak out for an hour if I can. I also have an hour between getting home and having to pick up my son, which is just enough time to go for a quick 5km run and have a shower. I have a TRX at home that I use while the kiddo is watching TV. Occasionally if I want to go for a long run or bike ride, hubby watches our son (he works a lot).

It doesn't have to be a long workout. Luckily I'm able to sneak it in.