Backpacking - A hobby for all body types?

Options
13»

Replies

• jenniferp04
    jenniferp04 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So Ive been reading up about conditioning training for backpacking. The things Ive been reading say a mix of strength training, hiking with weight (slowly adding more each hike til you get to your pack amount) and cardio like stair climbing or high incline treadmill would be perfect 6 weeks out. Anything else I should add into my routine to prepare?
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    sounds great! Honestly, I am sure you'd be fine even if you didn't prepare, but being prepared will definitely make it a more enjoyable.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Take care of your feet! Wear the right socks. Blisters will ruin your hike and the week after.

I've done a lot of hiking, including lots of off-trail, and some technical climbing. I got to the point where I'd spend 90% of my hikes in a running shoe. If I knew the trail had difficult terrain, I'd carry my heavier boots in my pack and only put them on when I needed them. That meant a pretty heavy pack, though. Ideally, you want to wear the lightest shoe that will work for your conditions.

The other thing beginners do badly is weight balance in the pack. Plan on stopping after a mile or two to re-pack your pack. Your shoulders and back should not work hard when you're hiking. Most people pack the weight too far back. The heavy stuff needs to be right against your body.

On an overnight backpack, chipmunks are your enemy. Keep your food secure.

For preparation, I'd walk outside. Hills, the steeper the better. If it's easy, walk faster. Work on finding a pace you can keep up for a long period of time. Hiking when you're out of shape is fun; hiking when you're in good cardio-vascular shape is the greatest thing on Earth!
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips! Im started to get really excited! Chipmunks, huh? Do you hang your food or pack at night to avoid them getting into it?
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Hanging food is best, but if you're careful, you can get away with good air-tight containers. Be careful, though. Stuff like instant oatmeal packets, or mac-and-cheese cups, aren't all that air-tight. I've had chipmunks eat holes in my tent, backpack, and a nylon stuff sack to get a bag of trail mix that I forgot was in there.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    The trip we were planning to go on is an overnight 10 miler. So I'm assuming they'd be shooting for 5 a day? Is that too many you think? It says perfect for beginners on the website.

Sounds like you've got the perfect plan - take it slowly and let your experience guide you.

Talk with someone experienced with the trail if possible - where ever you go. 10 mi is a good beginner distance without elevation. Try to set your camp about 1/2 way and take plenty of breaks for snacks, drinks, and just enjoy the scenery. Check up alternative lacing techniques and bring some mole skin along with a small first aid pack. Test your gear at home and get used to every little feature of it before finding out something does not work as intended when you need it to. I've been on more than one climbing expedition watching someone get sent off the mountain because their crampons didn't fit their boots.
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    I was reading a thru-hiking book over the weekend and the girl who wrote it said she'd leave her pack unzipped at night so mice could go in check it out and leave without chewing holes in her pack. LOL. I would have never thought about the little hungry ones being a pain.... only bears. haha.

Since I dont have a pack yet how much mileage should I shoot for with regular hiking? I read somewhere if youre shooting for 5 with a pack do 8 miles without one as practice til you have all of your gear.
  • headwind2015
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about mice.

I recently upgraded my backpack of almost 12 years not because of wear and tear but because packs have come a long way. (I also carry less gear now and can get away with a smaller pack) if you're really concerned about durability look for a pack made from a high denier material. The higher the rating the more durable the fabric.

I usually sleep with my pack in the tent with me. During the day I may move my pack to the tent's vestibule.

It is also good practice not to sleep near your food prep area. Keep your campground clean at the end of the night and don't store food in your tent and you should be good.

Your pack should last you a long time if you take care of it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I was reading a thru-hiking book over the weekend and the girl who wrote it said she'd leave her pack unzipped at night so mice could go in check it out and leave without chewing holes in her pack. LOL. I would have never thought about the little hungry ones being a pain.... only bears. haha.

Since I dont have a pack yet how much mileage should I shoot for with regular hiking? I read somewhere if youre shooting for 5 with a pack do 8 miles without one as practice til you have all of your gear.

Walmart has, or had, these great roll-top nylon bags in camping section by Outdoor Products. Not water proof though same design, but pretty good. Really good for putting all the food into, 3 different sizes, which I use for 3 daily meal organization, can fit about 4 days in each, dinner being biggest bag. Something big enough for cookware too is good.

Where you are going may actually have rules for what is required - you may have to get a bear canister - find out ahead if rentable and how big it is to hold your food. They may require bear bagging, which takes care of mice too. Except underfoot while trying to eat.

Get a big carabiner type clip, and you can hang the whole mess of bags on a tree limb for the mouse problem if bear bagging not required.
    If you are hitting well established camping areas - they will be there, the little beggars.
    So sleep no where near where you eat. And confirm no food in pack or as you read, leave totally open so they can explore but not chew through, which means don't zip up pack in tent with you, leave outside.

5-8 is great distance. Enough to know the legs can do it.
    Enough to know the shoes especially feel alright. Nothing worse than finding the soles squish too much (again problem using running shoes) and that causes achilles friction.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Guess none of you hike in California. In many wilderness areas we are now required to carry approved bear-resistant canisters. They work to keep out all other critters as well, and you can stash them pretty much anywhere, no need to look for the perfect tree to hang your food. Huge downsides are 1) they weigh close to 3 pounds (empty!) and 2) they take up an enormous amount of room in your pack. I hate mine.

Re: boots, there is a definite trend toward lighter weight, low-cut boots rather than heavy backpacking boots. Lots of people like trail runners, which are built with the structure and support you need (much better than running shoes). However, I rely on the good ankle support of hiking boots. It also helps to have high-top boots when crossing creeks, as well as a perfectly waterproof boot (especially when it rains). More important then the type of boot, though, is making sure whatever you choose fits properly. Boot issues while on the trail can ruin your trip (speaking from experience here!).

• shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    How much ground will you cover? You may want to go on some training hikes to build up to it. Put some weight in your pack and off you go. Apparently, it's the latest fitness trend - called "rucking".

Never heard of "rucking" but I agree with this. Practice hiking with the weight to see if you can manage.

Rucking is a military term originally. It comes from ruck sack.

A few things about backpacking/rucking.

1. Start out easy, then build
    2. Use boots once you start tacking on the weights. Failure to do so will result in you spraining or flat out snapping your ankles.
    3. Take care of your feet and your body in general while rucking. Stop for 5 minutes every 4 miles and hydrate, change socks as needed.
    4. want a good goal for rucking. The infantry has that goal. 12 miles in 3 hours with 65lbs weight. When that gets too easy go for the goal we had in the Ranger units. 12 miles, 125lbs, 3 hours.
    5. Mind you these are military combat arms minimums and by the time we've been rucking for a year or so we knock out these times in less than 3 hours.
    6. It works the whole body, hard - and your muscles will be screaming after mile 1.

• headwind2015
    edited July 2015
    Options
    shank35l wrote: »

2. Use boots once you start tacking on the weights. Failure to do so will result in you spraining or flat out snapping your ankles.

ABSOLUTELY FALSE! Seriously, think about or if that is too hard watch an episode of the biggest loser.
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    I think I'm going to give the Solomon Speedcross 3's a go. They seem light weight, breathable and have good traction on the bottom.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ironically, most of the backpacking I've done was when I was overweight...now that I'm lean and fit, I never go...mostly because kids...my wife and i intend to pick it up again once the kids are older and can play along though.

the most important thing you could do is train and go on practice hikes. being skinny or fat is pretty irrelevant...if you're untrained, you're untrained...and if you're untrained, you will likely struggle.
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I started my backpack conditiong this week. Today is strength and cardio!
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    Also guys, feel free to add me on here! A few of you have and Id love to some some MFP friends who enjoy the same activities!