Does too much fruit make you gain

Options
faduma123
faduma123 Posts: 58 Member
i read somewhere online that fructose causes fat gain. Some studies suggest that fructose ingestion leads to insulin resistance, elevated blood cholesterol levels and increased fat gain. I don't necessarily eat a lot of fruit but I would like to . I was thinking of actually eating more fruit.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Too many calories makes you gain. That's pretty much it. Today I have had an apple, a banana, strawberries and I'm having a bit of watermelon before bed. That's typical of every day for me.
  • faduma123
    Options
    So I guess it's okay thanks :)
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Too many calories makes you gain. That's pretty much it. Today I have had an apple, a banana, strawberries and I'm having a bit of watermelon before bed. That's typical of every day for me.

Agree!!! Too much food makes you gain, it's the no sugar fruit loops spreading this info!!! I still stand by 100cals of fruit is a better choice than 100cals of bacon!!
  • bree3462
    bree3462 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fruit is all natural sugar so I'd say no. It's good for you!!!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    NO ONE FOOD MAKES YOU GAIN WEIGHT.

Too many calories make you gain weight.
  • faduma123
    Options
    I feel better when I hear from people with experience . Knowing you all eat a good amount of fruit and it doesn't cause weight gain is enough for me .
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    faduma123 wrote: »
    i read somewhere online that fructose causes fat gain. Some studies suggest that fructose ingestion leads to insulin resistance, elevated blood cholesterol levels and increased fat gain. I don't necessarily eat a lot of fruit but I would like to . I was thinking of actually eating more fruit.

Eat more fruit if you want to, as long as you are eating within your calorie deficit. You don't need to worry about insulin resistance unless you already have a health problem.
    You should be weighing all of your solid foods so you know the calories accurately.
    Read the first post of this thread for more information: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Eat the food you love. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Love fruit, lost 121 pounds and now been maintaining for 10 months.
  • faduma123
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    faduma123 wrote: »

Eat more fruit if you want to, as long as you are eating within your calorie deficit. You don't need to worry about insulin resistance unless you already have a health problem.
    You should be weighing all of your solid foods so you know the calories accurately.
    Read the first post of this thread for more information: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    Thanks a lot
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not only does fresh fruit not cause weight gain when eaten in quantities within your allowable calories, it does not cause insulin resistance. The fiber in the fruit slows the absorption of the fructose into the bloodstream so that the liver doesn't have to go into overdrive to handle a big dump of sugar into the bloodstream. Fructose in juice is another story because the fiber has been removed. If you want a better understanding of how it works, read through the faqs on this site about the Glycemic Index Scale, a system developed in Australia after 30 years of research into diabetes:

http://www.gisymbol.com/about/frequently-asked-questions/
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

Agree!!! Too much food makes you gain, it's the no sugar fruit loops spreading this info!!! I still stand by 100cals of fruit is a better choice than 100cals of bacon!!

But I've had bacon today too!

• barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 60lbs i run 4.5 miles a day and weight train. I eat a banana an apple x2 blueberries or Strawberries in a smoothie every day sometimes more. You just have to remember to count the calories in your fruit as a calorie is a calorie
  • sean773
    sean773 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    holy f***. Some of you people don't know what your talking about. mccindy72 seems to know what she's talking about.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

fruit is good but bacon tastes soooo much better

• faduma123
    Options
    Thank you all .
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options

So have I haha but also an apple, banana, raspberries and about to eat some black berries
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Calorie surplus makes you gain. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight.
    If u like fruit , then eat it , just be at a deficit and you'll lose weight.
  • psucato
    psucato Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes it can fruit is super hi carb. If you are like me and carbs make you gain then yes eating a lot can pack on the pounds.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    psucato wrote: »
    Yes it can fruit is super hi carb. If you are like me and carbs make you gain then yes eating a lot can pack on the pounds.

It's not the carbs that are making you gain weight. It's the going over your maintenance calories that's doing that.