arthritis in the knee issue

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    I've got knee (and other) arthritis & a torn meniscus. I've experimented to see what helps/hurts my particular situation, and recommend doing that (carefully).

For me, things that work the knee in its normal straight-hinge way, without torque or much impact, are do-able.

I'm a rower (water and machine), and can do spin classes, cycling, and many weight exercises. YMMV depending on the nature/location of your arthritis.

I've found it helpful to ice my knee after rowing or spinning (the two things I do most often), and got benefit from physical therapy that was focused on helping me retrain how I walk and (especially) climb stairs. However, no point in getting physical therapy unless you will continue the exercises they give you, after the therapy ends.

Weight loss has definitely helped as well. I started noticing a difference at as little as 10 pounds down (about 1/6 of my total target loss, for context).
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing how, if you are doing squats correctly there is no problems with your knees. Well, I must be doing them wrong, they kill my knees. I have problems with yoga too. Walking is difficult too. And constant pain for me. I have had knee surgery, shots...maybe I should look at a diet of anti inflammatory foods....willing to try anything!

I also have OA in both knees and a torn meniscus in my right one (arthroscopic surgery done in my left 18 months ago), and I can't squat ATG either without pain, so don't feel bad about it. My orthopoedic doctor told me to stay away from high impact exercises, lateral lounges, walking lounges, and anything that increases my pain, including squats. I do body weight box squats so I don't go that low and the leg press machine. I am almost bone to bone in both knees and the next step is a bilateral knee replacement, but I am getting HA injections every 6 months to lubricate the knees joints because I am trying to extend the replacement surgery a little bit longer. My problem is due to age and wear and tear from all the activities that I did when I was younger, because I have never been overweight; and there is also a generic factor involved. I can do the stationary bike, the rower, elliptical and the ARC trainer (my favorite). I can walk outside but not in the treadmill, and swimming is not my thing. I still do Yoga and Pilates and barre/ballet exercises but I have to modify some movements. We need to adapt our exercise routine to fit our needs and limitations. Just listen to your body and to your doctor and do what is best for you. Don't worry about what other people can do.
  • TK0119
    TK0119 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i have arthrits is knee and ankle. i am on enbrel which helps. it sucks but i do not allow it to affect me. i am doing sub 1:40 half marathons, 42 mile (all) day hikes, and working on hitting 1,000 lbs in the big three lifts. pain, *kitten* it, i dont give a *kitten*.