Calorie dense food that WON'T make me feel full

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I find that lentils don't fill me up very easily (I will probably have a cup or more for lunch), and they are very calorie-dense. Avocados in a salad will make you full, but not bursting. Oatmeal is also a great high-calorie food that doesn't fill me up a lot. I will have it for breakfast and still feel hungry for lunch. It's good to have oats with some kind of fat- milk, butter, nuts, etc.

Oatmeal is actually pretty low calorie. It's what you put in it that adds in the calories. Make the oatmeal with full fat milk if you don't and put the peanut butter in that or maybe nutella. Granola can tend to be pretty high calorie for a small portion. Put mayo on your sandwiches and drizzle olive oil on things. Eat lots of ice cream, pizza and cake?
    Two cups with nothing in it but water is 600 calories. I guess it's a matter of opinion whether that's low calorie or not.

I'd suggest ice cream with fruit preserves, sandwiches with fruit preserves, whole milk.
    Who eats two cups of oatmeal? Even one cup is a lot of oatmeal.

Half a cup is much more likely and if your numbers are right, that's 150 calories, which I'd consider low-cal. Add in a bunch of fruit and you're at a nice, 300 cal breakfast.

Oatmeal is very filling, though. I think it's one of the most filling foods out there. So, it might not be what the OP is looking for.
    I do. One cup of oatmeal, let alone a half cup, isn't worth the time it takes to cook it. As above, though, apart from serving sizes the satiety per calorie just isn't there for me. If it is for you, then it might be a better option for you.
    I am not sure that I could eat two cups of oatmeal if I was offered a million dollars to do it. That's a LOT of oatmeal.

I'm kind of impressed that you can eat that much of it. Good for you.

Different strokes. :)
    It's my between breakfast and lunch snack.

The point, though, is that on a per-calorie basis, regardless of serving size, it isn't very satiating compared to many other foods that offer the same or better satiation for fewer calories. For me. So, to me, it isn't low calorie at all because it takes so many more calories to achieve the desired effect.

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I find that lentils don't fill me up very easily (I will probably have a cup or more for lunch), and they are very calorie-dense. Avocados in a salad will make you full, but not bursting. Oatmeal is also a great high-calorie food that doesn't fill me up a lot. I will have it for breakfast and still feel hungry for lunch. It's good to have oats with some kind of fat- milk, butter, nuts, etc.

Oatmeal is actually pretty low calorie. It's what you put in it that adds in the calories. Make the oatmeal with full fat milk if you don't and put the peanut butter in that or maybe nutella. Granola can tend to be pretty high calorie for a small portion. Put mayo on your sandwiches and drizzle olive oil on things. Eat lots of ice cream, pizza and cake?
    Two cups with nothing in it but water is 600 calories. I guess it's a matter of opinion whether that's low calorie or not.

I'd suggest ice cream with fruit preserves, sandwiches with fruit preserves, whole milk.

Half a cup is much more likely and if your numbers are right, that's 150 calories, which I'd consider low-cal. Add in a bunch of fruit and you're at a nice, 300 cal breakfast.

Oatmeal is very filling, though. I think it's one of the most filling foods out there. So, it might not be what the OP is looking for.
    I do. One cup of oatmeal, let alone a half cup, isn't worth the time it takes to cook it. As above, though, apart from serving sizes the satiety per calorie just isn't there for me. If it is for you, then it might be a better option for you.
    I am not sure that I could eat two cups of oatmeal if I was offered a million dollars to do it. That's a LOT of oatmeal.

The point, though, is that on a per-calorie basis, regardless of serving size, it isn't very satiating compared to many other foods that offer the same or better satiation for fewer calories. For me. So, to me, it isn't low calorie at all because it takes so many more calories to achieve the desired effect.

I eat only 100 calories of oatmeal. 1/3 cup dry looks very small, but once it's cooked with water, it fills up my bowl. It only takes 1 minute in the microwave, so it certainly is worth the time it takes to cook. I also add other stuff to it for a well rounded meal just under 300 calories. For me, the volume is HUGE for the calories so I love it. But if it's not satiating for you, that's fine. I'm not going to eat chicken for breakfast :) Also keep in mind that as a male who is probably a lot taller than me, you will need more calories for satiety than I do.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Most people find oatmeal to be a very satisfying and stick-to-your-ribs kind of food. It has a reputation for that. But if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't. Like I said, different strokes!

I'm glad you've found what works for you. :)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I think we're all wasting our breath any way. OP can't possibly feel that full on 1200 when she managed to gain 30+ pounds in the first place.
  • hannibalholt89
    hannibalholt89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Getting in 1200 cals can be really easy in a day honestly it should be too easy but here are some tips. keep in mind when you are trying eat foods that wont have you filling full then you will be eating MORE meals than you would be if you were eating meals that do have you full. Try salads and add dressings high in cals AND olive oil its REALLY high in cals abt 115 cals per table spoon. You will def get some fat from it but dont be worried its a really good source of fat. Also drink milk, add peanut butter to somethings, cereal, make you a shake add fruits, milk, whatever. Take a walk after you eat help your food digest better so you wont feel full.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I do. One cup of oatmeal, let alone a half cup, isn't worth the time it takes to cook it.

Two cups of dry oats, prepared with water to equal 600 calories, is more than 3.5 cups cooked. That is a lot of oatmeal. It would overflow my 28oz Corelle big bowl, and be two cereal bowls full.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    We have a special snowflake Texan on our hands.

I do 1/3 or 1/4 cup oatmeal with yogurt in the fridge or in the microwave with water. It takes no time at all.
  • jtboner
    jtboner Posts: 59 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This is not a troll, if you are wondering about my weight gain I used to not stop eating when I was full because I couldn't tell, now I could definitely tell
    Usual day of eating:
    8am breakfast, usually cereal or breakfast bar
    11:30am eat lunch (various, maybe a sandwich or more cereal)
    3pm snack, varies
    7pm dinner , varies
    9pm dessert, usually dairy or fruit combinedcombined
    Also,I have changed my weight goal, I achieved my previous one and later surpassed it so I didn't want to keep going beyond my goal so I made a new one
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jtboner wrote: »
    This is not a troll, if you are wondering about my weight gain I used to not stop eating when I was full because I couldn't tell, now I could definitely tell
    Usual day of eating:
    3pm snack, varies
    7pm dinner , varies
    9pm dessert, usually dairy or fruit combined

This doesn't really help much. How many calories are you averaging? How far under your 1200 goal? Are you also exercising, in which case you should be eating at least a portion of those calories back so you should be eating more than 1200. How much do you have to lose? What is your height and current weight and what did you put in for your rate of weight loss?

Without knowing more details about what your meals consist of, it is difficult for people to make specific food suggestions.

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Did you have gastric bypass or some sort of medical procedure done to restrict your stomach size?

• jtboner
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Usual day of eating:
    3pm snack, varies
    7pm dinner , varies

This doesn't really help much. How many calories are you averaging? How far under your 1200 goal? Are you also exercising, in which case you should be eating at least a portion of those calories back so you should be eating more than 1200. How much do you have to lose? What is your height and current weight and what did you put in for your rate of weight loss?

Without knowing more details about what your meals consist of, it is difficult for people to make specific food suggestions.

I'm averaging 1200 calories, the problem isn't reaching 1200 calories, it's doing 1200c calories without feeling super full. Height=5ft2in weight=113 and the rate is at 2lbs a week lost
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Can you open up your diary? I'd like to see what you are currently eating (actual diary entries rather than a meal schedule or approximation.)
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Usual day of eating:
    3pm snack, varies
    7pm dinner , varies

I'm averaging 1200 calories, the problem isn't reaching 1200 calories, it's doing 1200c calories without feeling super full. Height=5ft2in weight=113 and the rate is at 2lbs a week lost

Wait, what? You are 5'2, current weight is 113 and you are trying to lose 2 lbs a week for a total of how much?

You're already at a healthy (maybe even low end of healthy) weight for your height and 2 lbs/week is far too aggressive.

• jtboner
    Options
    I opened it, as you can see I'm can hit 1200 calories, the problem is I feel to full, I'm improving a little, BTW Saturday was NOT a good day for me
  • jtboner
    Options
    Usual day of eating:
    3pm snack, varies
    7pm dinner , varies

Wait, what? You are 5'2, current weight is 113 and you are trying to lose 2 lbs a week for a total of how much?

You're already at a healthy (maybe even low end of healthy) weight for your height and 2 lbs/week is far too aggressive.

Yeah, I realize that 2lbs a week is way out of my league, at most I lose a pound a week, that goal was from my previous weight loss, I'm pretty happy with my weight, however every ten pounds I lost it automatically updated my goals and it kept getting set at 2lbs a week, I wasn't getting that so I got confused
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Bacon.
  • jemhh
    Options
    It looks like you eat a fair bit of veggies. And possibly soups or broths? That all can be pretty filling but still low calorie. So you are getting full on that stuff. Your weight goal is reasonable at your height. I'd change your weight loss rate goal to .5 pounds and then eat something yummy like ice cream.
  • jtboner
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It looks like you eat a fair bit of veggies. And possibly soups or broths? That all can be pretty filling but still low calorie. So you are getting full on that stuff. Your weight goal is reasonable at your height. I'd change your weight loss rate goal to .5 pounds and then eat something yummy like ice cream.

Yeah, that comes from my Chinese culture :P one problem.... I just sweet my goal weight loss to half a pound and now I have to eat even more calories....
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Looked at the last few days. Doesn't look like you are weighing your food with a digital scale, so it's possible you are already eating more than you think. I also think you could include full fat dairy as well as butter, olive oil, mayo, etc and easily get some extra calories for not too much density. Or just go with bacon and ice cream.

I would change your goal to 0.5 lbs/week as you are running a big deficit already and soon enough you should be thinking about maintenance not losing.
  • jemhh
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Yeah, that comes from my Chinese culture :P one problem.... I just sweet my goal weight loss to half a pound and now I have to eat even more calories....

That's why I suggested something like ice cream. Plenty of calories but not really filling. You don't have to eat all veggies and lean protein and other foods that are traditionally thought of as "healthy." Your diet overall looks plenty healthy. Splurge a bit.