Hate the time between getting home and dinner....

Options
Think this is the hardest time for me, from when I get home from work which is usually 4:00 pm and tend to eat dinner around 5:30 - 6:00.... What do some of you do in between this time? I like when I have an event on so I would typically just snack on veggies and maybe a handful of nuts before I hit the tennis courts or if I am going to go for a bike ride. But like tonight I am waiting for weigh in which is not till 5:30 and meeting is not till 6:30 which makes it really hard. Tonight I am thinking I will go get weighed in then come home eat and head back for meeting as there is no way I can make it that long.

Replies

• Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm busy enough at work to get distracted from my carniverous hunger. I'm often well under 50% of my caloric intake at 6:15pm. But it always hits me when I get home too. I find when I withhold too long I end up eating more in the end. I just try to balance it out better.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    @Energetic19 - sounds like you need a more substantial afternoon snack.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I KNOW! that's why I have a snack at 4 (usually a granola with at least 10 g of protein) and that just do it and I can wait easy until 8 or so to eat dinner.

But today I'm feeling you so much, I left my granola at home by mistake, stuck in traffic and in pain sister :neutral:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log to include an afternoon snack.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    i have a 3 y.o. and a 5 y.o. and about an acre and a home to care for...there's really never a dull moment. tonight I will get home and get dinner fired up for the kiddos as my wife has to work late...i'm also hoping to get some mowing done; we'll see. My wife and I will likely eat around 8:30/9.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    How about taking a walk or working out to a quickie 10-15 minute video on youtube? Grab a yogurt or handful of nuts or a spoonful of peanut butter. Throw in a load of laundry, read a book, do a crossword, call a friend.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    mk2loser wrote: »
    How about taking a walk or working out to a quickie 10-15 minute video on youtube? Grab a yogurt or handful of nuts or a spoonful of peanut butter. Throw in a load of laundry, read a book, do a crossword, call a friend.

I agree, do anything to stay occupied. I am like you, a bottomless pit at that time and once I start snacking there's no stopping me. I have to just stay out of the kitchen. It's usually when I get on the treadmill and watch Netflix.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    That's a tricky time for me too. What I do is have my afternoon snack around 4 PM. I make sure it's something high-ish in fat and protein.

I leave work at 5 and usually arrive home by 5:30. If I'm having a hungry day I'll whip something up really fast. That's dinner (usually). Then sometimes I'll cook something for the next evening.

I like to take my time cooking and not be starving while doing so. It ruins the whole experience for me and I'll end up snacking along the way.
  • Energetic19
    Energetic19 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    that is a late dinner cwolfman13 as I would be heading to bed in about an hour lol..... but completely understand as we all have to do what works for us. I am up at 5:00 am at work by 6:30 am then typically have my breakfast at 7:00 then snack at 9 ish but try and last till 10 but then my lunch is at 11:00 but lately I have been taking my walk first for 30 min then come back and eat. I then will try and last till 2 for a snack and leave work at 3:30. Today was not as good as migraine had been toying with me all day and finally took one of my pills at 1 ish and then I get hungry but tried to keep on track and snack on cherry tomatoes, where typically I would go for grease food or sugar so proud that I stayed away from all that bad stuff!
  • Energetic19
    Options
    mk2loser wrote: »

Awesome ideas mk2loser.... will most definitely keep them in mind!
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I try to bring a snack with me to eat on the way home so I'm not starving while cooking/waiting to eat dinner. If I don't have to worry about cooking, I'll usually take a walk or do an exercise dvd to keep myself occupied.
  • TNDamisi
    TNDamisi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That's why I tend to work out after I get off work. In addition to taking up time, the exercise kills my appetite for about an hour - that way by the time I fix dinner, I'm ready to eat that instead of snacking until then.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bigger lunch or afternoon snack.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Have a piece of fruit. Generally low-cal, and fills you nicely for a bit. :)
  • Energetic19
    Options
    TNDamisi wrote: »
    That's why I tend to work out after I get off work. In addition to taking up time, the exercise kills my appetite for about an hour - that way by the time I fix dinner, I'm ready to eat that instead of snacking until then.

Yes I should take my gym bag with me on those days that I know I am going to be twiddling my thumbs and don't have any activity scheduled. Its all about keeping my calendar full!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    that is a late dinner cwolfman13 as I would be heading to bed in about an hour lol..... but completely understand as we all have to do what works for us. I am up at 5:00 am at work by 6:30 am then typically have my breakfast at 7:00 then snack at 9 ish but try and last till 10 but then my lunch is at 11:00 but lately I have been taking my walk first for 30 min then come back and eat. I then will try and last till 2 for a snack and leave work at 3:30. Today was not as good as migraine had been toying with me all day and finally took one of my pills at 1 ish and then I get hungry but tried to keep on track and snack on cherry tomatoes, where typically I would go for grease food or sugar so proud that I stayed away from all that bad stuff!

yeah, I typically go to bed about 30 - 60 minutes after dinner most nights.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i always have a snack when i get home from work.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,197 Member
    Options
    When I get home from work at about 6 pm, I have a small snack. Usually a bit of cottage cheese and either a pickle or cucumber slices.

Then dinner is usually about 7:30 pm.