The Potato: Friend or Foe?

Options

Replies

• RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Friend. They are a good start to a quick meal.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I confess I don't think I've ever cooked a potato for myself...I've been considering it lately. How many grams do you find a medium potato to usually be? Ball park?

I usually cook the hubs about a 140-gram potato or so for his dinner. That's about what I used when I did my last breakfast potato (making the bowl and putting the egg in - then topping with cheese and what not) so good.

So about 200 for a potato? That's about what I assumed I think.

Probably 200 grams for a large potato.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I confess I don't think I've ever cooked a potato for myself...I've been considering it lately. How many grams do you find a medium potato to usually be? Ball park?

I usually cook the hubs about a 140-gram potato or so for his dinner. That's about what I used when I did my last breakfast potato (making the bowl and putting the egg in - then topping with cheese and what not) so good.

Oh sorry, I meant 200 calories.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

A 5.2 ounce Yukon Gold potato is 100 calories. Not sure about the other kinds.
  • mccindy72
    edited July 2015
    Options

Oh, I see... lol. I think the 140 gram potato is about 140 calories. (red skin)
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Friend for dieters not really much of a friend for my pre diabetes. I love love love love them but half of a baked potato spikes my BG something fierce. They are high on the satiety index though so potatoes are very filling for the calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I see. I have no idea why I don't mess with potatoes. I eat french fries on the weekends sometimes but have about no interest in making myself a potato. I think I'd prefer meat and cheese, and then cookies. And french fries on the weekend.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I see. I have no idea why I don't mess with potatoes. I eat french fries on the weekends sometimes but have about no interest in making myself a potato. I think I'd prefer meat and cheese, and then cookies. And french fries on the weekend.

I don't do them much, I don't know why. they're pretty versatile. But there's so much other FOOD.
  • Blondiez73
    Blondiez73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Friend! I love potatoes. I have them several times a week with different veggies and by themselves. I don't think its possible for me to get sick of the potato, ever.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Friend. Cheap, filling, healthy, versatile, and easy to cook -- what's not to love? Sweet potatoes and those little bite-sized fingerlings are my favorites.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Depends on the application of said potato.

In the wrong hands potatoes can be extremely dangerous and should only be handled by trained experts under controlled conditions. They are instruments of destruction. Delicious destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqrAYg30bp8

Should've aimed for his manbits, instead. Remove him from the gene pool. ;)

Potatoes are awesome.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Definitely friend. The other night I bought a "potato medley" in a bag at the store, it included Yukon gold, baby reds, and purple fingerlings... my kids loved the purple ones!
  • vdnny77
    vdnny77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Friend: I LOVE potatoes, especially mashed with butter/salt..(I know, a no no, but yummy!)...however, since I've been diagnosed with diabetes and inverse psoriasis, they are now an enemy, but sometimes I eat anyway, every now and then, but suffer the consequences later on...sigh.....ps...love French Fries!! and Hash Browns!!...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love the purple ones too!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    For me it's neither friend or enemy. It's a food. I don't eat it as regularly as I do many other foods.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes, white and sweet. I eat them regularly baked. Rarely fried, but sometimes I want fries and I eat them.
  • nanniek1
    nanniek1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are very nutrient dense, especially the skin. It's what you put on them that makes them icky for you. Salsa, veggies sautéed in broth or a small amount of cheese on them can replace the sour cream and bacon you may be used to.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    nanniek1 wrote: »
    Potatoes are very nutrient dense, especially the skin. It's what you put on them that makes them icky for you. Salsa, veggies sautéed in broth or a small amount of cheese on them can replace the sour cream and bacon you may be used to.

Erm, no, unless you are putting things on them you don't like. Sour cream is a dairy product, providing fats and protein. Weigh it and add it to your log, it can fit in your calorie deficit. Sheesh.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love the purple ones too!
    18s047iy7959mjpg.jpg
    yes!