Why am I not losing any weight or body fat?

Options

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    218Beth wrote: »
    So I'm an idiot and just restarting here. Why the emphasis on weighing food? If I'm eating a small gala apple for snack, I'm using the DB for foods here and selecting small gala apple to add to my log. Is weighing it really going to make that much of a difference for it?

I NEED to measure better for dinners and weekends, I can see that already from my log. But my dinner last night included steamed veggies (the basic corn, carrots, peas and beans mix) and the default serving was 2/3 cup, per the bag. My serving was close to that but would weighing have really made a difference?

I figure I'm doing good just by tracking what I'm eating at this stage (see first sentence) and as long as I'm close in portion size and making better choices, for me, that's fair game because the act of tracking is tends to stop me from pigging out on snacks.

I had some apples that I weighed and compared to what a "large" was listed at. They ended up being 25-30 calories more than if I had just logged it by size. It might not seem like a big difference, but over a time period of a day or a week, those little inaccuracies can add up and really make a difference on the other scale.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Break the friendship with the God of Moderation! Moderation when you're trying to get to your goal is no good and if you want to live a healthy lifestyle, then throw moderation based thinking out the window completely. Otherwise, just have an ounce or two of gasoline to wash down your baked fish and greens if one thinks moderation is good for you!

That is literally one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

He kinda has a point.

Excellence at most things comes from a lack of moderation.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Break the friendship with the God of Moderation! Moderation when you're trying to get to your goal is no good and if you want to live a healthy lifestyle, then throw moderation based thinking out the window completely. Otherwise, just have an ounce or two of gasoline to wash down your baked fish and greens if one thinks moderation is good for you!

He has a point.

Excellence at anything comes from a lack of moderation.

There's hyperbole, and then there's outright nonsense. To equate moderation with poison is ridiculous and utterly unhelpful to someone already struggling with basic concepts of weight loss. And hell, even excellence can and does come with moderation - moderation =/= complacency.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1 cup organic honey + warm water and lemon That is a LOT of calories right there, and all it will do is make you GAIN weight....... That is 1065 calories right there...with a whopping 553g of sugar......
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Yup. I mean, it's not like moderation got me this bod. Oh, wait...

I'm curious - were you diligent in your calorie counting, or did you calorie count with "moderation"?

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Yup. I mean, it's not like moderation got me this bod. Oh, wait...

I'm curious - were you diligent in your calorie counting, or did you calorie count with "moderation"?

Considering you know exactly how moderation works when it's been explained on here many times, that question is unnecessary to respond to.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    1 cup organic honey + warm water and lemon That is a LOT of calories right there, and all it will do is make you GAIN weight....... That is 1065 calories right there...with a whopping 553g of sugar......
    I'm pretty sure she meant a cup of warm water with a spoon full or two of honey.
  • Blubberboss
    Blubberboss Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Love MFP. 5 pages of people arguing and the OP hasn't come back since page 1.
    She's at Walmart buying a scale. (at least we hope)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    This thread has been vastly entertaining only to be outdone by teaching 7th graders how to fill out their agenda and mark off completed homework. All in a day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Love MFP. 5 pages of people arguing and the OP hasn't come back since page 1.

Never change MFP!
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    This thread has been vastly entertaining only to be outdone by teaching 7th graders how to fill out their agenda and mark off completed homework. All in a day.

I'd bet some of them could outdo a good portion of my college students, so don't feel too bad...
  • nalaandchoco
    nalaandchoco Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think i have reached a road block.

I haven't lost a single kg, i haven't lost a single % of body fat, nor has my BMI reduced.
    I work hard, I work really hard. I have a personal trainer who advices me on my nutrition, but nothing. nada. zero. To the point I feel that my partner is so embarrassed of being out with me.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE:
    i push myself really hard sometimes i just want to break down and cry in the gym. i feel good after each work out, but i struggle i feel the pain. but no pain, no gain.

Mondays:
    - Run intervals for 30-45 minutes: alternating between high speed and slow.
    - 30 ab crunch x2
    - 30 cross crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 20 cycling cross crunches x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - arms training x8 reps x3 times
    - (this week: trying to restart Kayla Itsines)

Tuesdays:
    - Run 5km (some days treadmill some days out)
    - 30 ab crunch x2
    - 30 cross crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - GYM: alternate week KICKBOXIGN
    - GYM: Every week HiiT class called Power me On (in my gym) --> high intensity circuit training for 1 hour

Wednesdays:
    - Run intervals for 30-45 minutes
    - 30 ab crunch x2
    - 30 cross crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - arms training x8 x3times

Thursdays:
    - Personal training for 1 hour --> circuit, high intensity, interval fat burning training
    - 30 ab crunch x2
    - 30 cross crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - GYM: KICKBOXING 1 hour + Interval training class called Ultimate Interval (in my gym) 1 hour

Fridays:
    - Run 5km
    - 30 ab crunches x2
    - 20 leg raises x2
    - 30 flutter kicks x2
    - 20 heel touches x2
    - 60 sec plank x2
    - arms training x8 x3 times

Saturdays:
    - 1 hour pilates basic (a new thing i'm trying)
    and/OR
    - alternate weeks: long distance cycling with my partner

Sundays:
    - Rest day

ON TOP OF THAT, i am a regular 10km race runner - just completed 3 10km races in the month of July.

NUTRITION
    Breakfast:
    - I avoid carbs except breakfast - have either oats or wholemeal bread
    - 1 hard boil egg
    - 1 kiwi
    - 1 banana
    - 1 cup organic honey + warm water and lemon
    - -> I generally have to take a bit more in the breakfast like these because i have problem with low blood sugar levels and low blood pressure. i get dizzy very very easily - to the point i can faint

Lunch:
    - some days i'll have salad - hoping to make it 3 times a week
    - i avoid carbs - just have lightly stirfried vegetables with minimal oil and pinch of salt (i'm not big on salt)
    - either Chicken breast OR i'll usually have fish - i'm a fish lover

Snack:
    - apple
    - i am troubled by snacks because i have severe gastric problems and i'm advised to eat as often as i can and sometimes apples just make me feel so awful in the stomach
    - so sometimes i'll have a bowl of soup and a small bread bun wholemeal

Dinner:
    - i'll usually dine out with my partner - but i'll avoid carbs
    - e.g. last night i had grilled fish with salad and mash potatoes (sometimes i reward myself a little when i have worked hard for the day)
    - or Chinese dishes
    - Sushi - my biggest weakness is sushi - raw fish

Weekends vary, and i know there must be cheat days - and i do allow myself to let go VERY little - because i'm way too worried about the calories and oil and salt.

I'm Asian, so having communal dishes, or having rice is a big part of my culture though i have learnt to control my portions.

I take at least 3 litres of water every single day - no sugared drinks unless freshly squeezed juice like watermelon occasionally once a week, or apple-beetroot-carrot which is my favourite juice.

I'm losing hair, i'm breaking out in acne, my body doesn't seem to be cooperating.

i love food. i must declare that. I cook a lot, i experiment a lot with food, with cooking, heck, my favourite show is the Masterchef. But it has come to a point whereby i'm too afraid to even eat. i miss my hawker food, but i try to banish those thoughts out of my head. i don't take any sugared things anymore for a long time - at most a little at each time which i will allow myself.

So, what gives? I'm gaining more weight - my body analysis just doesn't seem to improve just constantly gets worse - i have about 40% body fat which is so alarming to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i'm gaining weight, fats, i can't fit into my dresses, i'm fighting with my partner every single day about this - he wants me to be healthy and not overweight, and i need to try harder but i am trying so hard so hard.

i'm never skinny, to be honest. BUT i am NEVER overweight my whole life. Until i started dating about 8 years ago. i agreed, back then, i let myself go a little - but i was never big BIG if you get what i mean. i've been trying to go back on track and lose now, but i'm failing miserably. I'm so sick and tired of doctors making assumptions that i am sitting away in a room snacking on donuts and sugared drinks or eating lots of carbs. I'M NOT.

help.

• nalaandchoco
    nalaandchoco Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would suggest u try havin more protein. Whey protein powder, make shakes with Almond milk. Start the day off with protein & have protein with every meal. If u have oats add a scoop of protein powder & blueberries 2 ur oats. Fulls u up longer & fuels ur muscles. I also take BCAA caps (amino acids) helps with protein synthesis. Switch snacks like ur apple 2 a protein shake & mayb have a shake after ur wrkout☺.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

I'd bet some of them could outdo a good portion of my college students, so don't feel too bad...

I once taught 8th grade English at the same time as Freshman English 101 at a community college. My 8th graders were better writers.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just spend a good 20 minutes reading this entire thread and it was 100% worth it.
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Aw honey. I don't know if you're still reading but I wish I could just give you a great big hug! You ARE trying so hard. You are! You work out all the time and you've changed your eating habits. So much effort and so little reward! I just want to acknowledge the WORK you put in. Good for you!!!

Obviously your method isn't working for you which is why you're here. You've received a lot of great advice in this thread and I hope you take some of it. I just want to encourage you that you don't have to work harder, you just have to work differently. <3
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    u74s1r wrote: »
    5. Break the friendship with the God of Moderation
    But I like Apollo! He's always kindly providing carrying the sun around for me to be warm. He even preaches moderation in moderation. I was also hoping he'd tell me how to get a belt like his.

• fightingformyhappiness
    fightingformyhappiness Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I do not quite know how to react to every comment, as I confess many of them were plain mean and hit me really hard as I had thought this to be a community of helpers and encouragers. thank you for all the helpful remarks. perspectives, I believe.

let me clarify this by showing you a screenshot of my diary and photo example of my food.

0m9esw5r1db9.jpg

3ei9g49xf0rg.jpg
    --> please note i do not always log in my workouts because very often i cannot accurately record the exercises down for an accurate measurement. hence, i always leave it out and use the app only for diet and nutrition. just because you do not see the workout here, doesn't mean i am not doing.

Example of a lunch: oi3cggri017l.jpg
    --> this is couscous with boiled salmon and a salad mix with avocado, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes with a light soy.

Example of a dinner i make: tivivrvqbxvi.jpg
    --> this is a baked chicken with olive oil and rosemary, with steamed and lightly boiled zucchini and baby potato.

Example of a meal when I eat out: gxwaohxkolr2.jpg
    --> this is a Japanese seared tuna salad, with a wasabi soy

Example of another meal when i eat out: 2h0vpzr4tvx0.jpg
    --> this is Kimchi stew with NO rice or noodles.

1. when I said 1 CUP OF HONEY WATER, the emphasis is on the water. perhaps this is my mistake for not writing it in a terribly accurate way, but it's what I call it and understand it. and by that, my portions are: 1 teaspoon of honey mixed with 1 cup of warm water + 1/2 slice of lemon. a detoxification water process for myself every morning. I love the taste of honey and have this as a habit since I was young. now I do not suppose this adds to a 1000 calories.

2. it is good that someone pointed out to me that I'm taking too many fruits. a kiwi in the morning is for my nutrient intake. a banana for my energy.
    - this is NOT to say that every breakfast i take the same generic things.

3. when i said i do not take up to 1200kcal a day, perhaps that is my mistake for a misleading comment and i apologize for that. My recommendation is to take 1200-1400kcal a day, giving myself at least 500kcal deficit as recommended by my trainer. Sometimes I hit up the full 1400kcal, and the next day I will reduce. But based on the amount I burn each day at my workout, I had felt that hitting this range is just right. If this is a problem, thank you for pointing this out so i can make better diet adjustments.

4. I often cook on my own. and my choice of ingredients such as oil includes olive oil, fresh herbs such as thyme and rosemary for flavour instead of salt. my salad dressings are often simply just lemon and olive, or sometimes if the salad is more of a japanese take, soy - and when i do that, i am mindful of the sodium and carbs in it as rightfully pointed out by my trainer. when i dine out, i go to places like the salad stores where my salad is made in front of me, and the to-go dressings are thai lemongrass, wasabi soy, or japanese miso depending on my mix of the day. Yes, i do eat out during dinners because it facilitates my working schedules, and yes i know it is not ideal - but i do try my best to make informed choices - and if my choices are not good enough, then thank you for letting me know.

5. just because I pointed out i'm Asian, doesn't mean I eat rice every single day. I mentioned family dining where we have dishes to pick from instead of individual servings because this is how most of us eat here, especially during family gatherings. And i know of the pitfalls of rice, and other forms of carbs disguised. For example, i pointed out i like eating sushi. Do you think i am unaware of the carbs in the rice?

6. For my favourite juices: here is a caloric breakdown from the app itself: an A-B-C (apple beetroot carrot) --> as a snack is 148kcal, with 0.3g of fat, 120mg sodium, 690mg potassium, 38g carbs, 9.5g fiber, 25.9g sugars, 2.2g protein, 205% vitamin A, 18.2% vitamin C, 11% calcium, 4.5% iron.
    - if this is also not good for me, please advise and I will make better informed choices.

7. As to someone who pointed out the flaws in my workout, thank you. i would like to clarify here that while it seems like i am "focusing more on my abs", that is far from the truth. i conscientiously incorporate abs training every single of my workout doesn't mean this is something i am just focused on. I mix up my work out, i go from kickboxing, to HiiT, to running, to cycling, to now trying pilates. If this mix is not good enough or effective enough, please advise.

Great. Thanks for several of the helpful comments. I'm not stupid. Thanks for the commenter who posted the "i'm trying everything to lose weight, but not diet and exercise" post. I'm here because i'm not a food scientist or some exercise nutritionist expert. there is a reason why i'm a historian, not a sports nutritionist advisor. I'm here because i had thought this is a community of helpers and encouragers. I have been advised by 2 nutritionists NOT to count calories to the nitty gritty last bit. perhaps i should. What is the bloody harm of trying, isn't it. If there is any inconsistency in my calculation or what i am doing, thank you for pointing them out nicely. It is why i am here to make adjustments and improve. thank you for the encouragement. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I do not quite know how to react to every comment, as I confess many of them were plain mean and hit me really hard as I had thought this to be a community of helpers and encouragers. thank you for all the helpful remarks. perspectives, I believe.

let me clarify this by showing you a screenshot of my diary and photo example of my food.

0m9esw5r1db9.jpg

3ei9g49xf0rg.jpg
    --> please note i do not always log in my workouts because very often i cannot accurately record the exercises down for an accurate measurement. hence, i always leave it out and use the app only for diet and nutrition. just because you do not see the workout here, doesn't mean i am not doing.

Example of a lunch: oi3cggri017l.jpg
    --> this is couscous with boiled salmon and a salad mix with avocado, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes with a light soy.

Example of a dinner i make: tivivrvqbxvi.jpg
    --> this is a baked chicken with olive oil and rosemary, with steamed and lightly boiled zucchini and baby potato.

Example of a meal when I eat out: gxwaohxkolr2.jpg
    --> this is a Japanese seared tuna salad, with a wasabi soy

Example of another meal when i eat out: 2h0vpzr4tvx0.jpg
    --> this is Kimchi stew with NO rice or noodles.

1. when I said 1 CUP OF HONEY WATER, the emphasis is on the water. perhaps this is my mistake for not writing it in a terribly accurate way, but it's what I call it and understand it. and by that, my portions are: 1 teaspoon of honey mixed with 1 cup of warm water + 1/2 slice of lemon. a detoxification water process for myself every morning. I love the taste of honey and have this as a habit since I was young. now I do not suppose this adds to a 1000 calories.

2. it is good that someone pointed out to me that I'm taking too many fruits. a kiwi in the morning is for my nutrient intake. a banana for my energy.
    - this is NOT to say that every breakfast i take the same generic things.

3. when i said i do not take up to 1200kcal a day, perhaps that is my mistake for a misleading comment and i apologize for that. My recommendation is to take 1200-1400kcal a day, giving myself at least 500kcal deficit as recommended by my trainer. Sometimes I hit up the full 1400kcal, and the next day I will reduce. But based on the amount I burn each day at my workout, I had felt that hitting this range is just right. If this is a problem, thank you for pointing this out so i can make better diet adjustments.

4. I often cook on my own. and my choice of ingredients such as oil includes olive oil, fresh herbs such as thyme and rosemary for flavour instead of salt. my salad dressings are often simply just lemon and olive, or sometimes if the salad is more of a japanese take, soy - and when i do that, i am mindful of the sodium and carbs in it as rightfully pointed out by my trainer. when i dine out, i go to places like the salad stores where my salad is made in front of me, and the to-go dressings are thai lemongrass, wasabi soy, or japanese miso depending on my mix of the day. Yes, i do eat out during dinners because it facilitates my working schedules, and yes i know it is not ideal - but i do try my best to make informed choices - and if my choices are not good enough, then thank you for letting me know.

5. just because I pointed out i'm Asian, doesn't mean I eat rice every single day. I mentioned family dining where we have dishes to pick from instead of individual servings because this is how most of us eat here, especially during family gatherings. And i know of the pitfalls of rice, and other forms of carbs disguised. For example, i pointed out i like eating sushi. Do you think i am unaware of the carbs in the rice?

6. For my favourite juices: here is a caloric breakdown from the app itself: an A-B-C (apple beetroot carrot) --> as a snack is 148kcal, with 0.3g of fat, 120mg sodium, 690mg potassium, 38g carbs, 9.5g fiber, 25.9g sugars, 2.2g protein, 205% vitamin A, 18.2% vitamin C, 11% calcium, 4.5% iron.
    - if this is also not good for me, please advise and I will make better informed choices.

7. As to someone who pointed out the flaws in my workout, thank you. i would like to clarify here that while it seems like i am "focusing more on my abs", that is far from the truth. i conscientiously incorporate abs training every single of my workout doesn't mean this is something i am just focused on. I mix up my work out, i go from kickboxing, to HiiT, to running, to cycling, to now trying pilates. If this mix is not good enough or effective enough, please advise.

Great. Thanks for several of the helpful comments. I'm not stupid. Thanks for the commenter who posted the "i'm trying everything to lose weight, but not diet and exercise" post. I'm here because i'm not a food scientist or some exercise nutritionist expert. there is a reason why i'm a historian, not a sports nutritionist advisor. I'm here because i had thought this is a community of helpers and encouragers. I have been advised by 2 nutritionists NOT to count calories to the nitty gritty last bit. perhaps i should. What is the bloody harm of trying, isn't it. If there is any inconsistency in my calculation or what i am doing, thank you for pointing them out nicely. It is why i am here to make adjustments and improve. thank you for the encouragement. :)

But do you weigh everything you eat with scales? If no, you're eating more than you think.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    At the risk of being called mean, and as several others have already pointed out, you are eating more than you think you are. That is why you are not losing weight. You can either choose to listen to the people who have given their time to try to help you, get some scales, and do this properly, or you can continue to fail. It's entirely up to you.