Why am I not losing any weight or body fat?

Options

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness. Diet is for weight loss. It sounds like you're focusing on adding more and more exercise without getting your food down. Get a food scale. Weigh everything, including your fruit.

Here's your calorie breakdown rounded to whole numbers

Breakfast:
    - I avoid carbs except breakfast - have either oats or wholemeal bread 1/3 cup oats = 200 cal or 1 slice bread 150 cal
    - 1 hard boil egg 100 calories
    - 1 kiwi 40 cal
    - 1 banana 100 cal
    - 1 cup organic honey + warm water and lemon Honey 2 tbsp: 120 cals
    Total: ~550 calories

Lunch:
    - some days i'll have salad - hoping to make it 3 times a week Dressing? 100+ calories
    - i avoid carbs - just have lightly stirfried vegetables with minimal oil and pinch of salt (i'm not big on salt) Veggies maybe 50 calories? Depending. Oil: 1 tbsp = 120 caloriesish
    - either Chicken breast OR i'll usually have fish - i'm a fish lover 1 cup chicken no oil = 330 cal
    Total: ~600 calories

Snack:
    - apple 100 calories
    - i am troubled by snacks because i have severe gastric problems and i'm advised to eat as often as i can and sometimes apples just make me feel so awful in the stomach
    - so sometimes i'll have a bowl of soup and a small bread bun wholemeal Soup: 200 cal minimum, Bread Bun: 100 calories? minimum
    Total: 300? calories

Dinner:
    - i'll usually dine out with my partner - but i'll avoid carbs
    - e.g. last night i had grilled fish with salad and mash potatoes (sometimes i reward myself a little when i have worked hard for the day) 1 cup mashed potatoes is 200-400 calories based on butter/cream content
    - or Chinese dishes High calorie. Guessing 500+ per dish
    - Sushi - my biggest weakness is sushi - raw fish A typical sushi roll is prepared with 1cup of rice = 240 calories.
    Total: 300-1200 calories

You have no idea how much you're eating. Just guestimating your breakfast, lunch, and snack, I came up with 1,450 calories, with wild estimates based on what you're eating. You seem to have a very odd view of carbohydrates. Vegetables are carbohydrates. Apples are carbs. Small bread bun wholemeal is a carb. Most Chinese food has a ton of carbs (breading, veggies, sauces). Mashed potatoes are a carb. Rice is a carb. The good news is that carbs are fine, but your portion control/calorie counting is not.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    This may sound counterintuitive but it seems like you are not taking rest days. It may be the measurements sure, but if you do not let your body rest it cannot benefit from the "good" you are doing it.

Whilst this is certainly true in relation to gaining fitness (adequate recovery is necessary) it is not really relevant to the OP's principal concern - not losing any weight after 4 months (which is a long enough timeframe to discount things like fluid retention and so on.)
    leggup wrote: »
    The good news is that carbs are fine, but your portion control/calorie counting is not.

I find myself nodding in agreement with this so vigorously that I may have given myself whiplash...

I'm guessing if they OP gets a better handle on portion size generally she wouldn't have to make all that many changes to see her weight starting to go down.

5050110 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Fat-people-logic..jpg
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    With that exercise load, I'd be focusing on quality carbs, not restricting them.

Rice and starchy root vegetables are your friends.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    With that exercise load, I'd be focusing on quality carbs, not restricting them.

No - a food scale is her friend.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options

I didn't comment on that.

And plenty of people do just fine without one, since you brought it up. I agree the OP could use some help with portion recognition, but that has nothing to do with my comment.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

And plenty of people do just fine without one, since you brought it up. I agree the OP could use some help with portion recognition, but that has nothing to do with my comment.

lol - her question is about the fact that she has not lost a single pound in 4 months and you suggest adding some higher calorie foods to her diet.

Excellent advice. She's clearly eating enough calories - and that includes rice, your advice is pointless at best, opposite to her goals at worse.

She clearly isn't doing fine without one - so the fact that some people don't need them is again - pointless.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

I think it's important to customize your suggestions with an OP's details in mind. I don't know her height, but a short woman might only have 300 calories between their TDEE and BMR. Whereas a 37 yo male might have more than 1000 calories between his TDEE and BMR. When one has a 1000 calorie buffer, I think it _IS_ a bit easier to not use a scale and remain in a deficit.

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Invest in a food scale, weigh everything and log everything!! You are most assuredly eating more than you think.

If it was me, I would avoid the takeaway/eating out until you can get into a rhythm of consistent logging. Most "healthy" meals in restaurants still hit near 1000 calories per serving, as they are almost always oversized and prepared with a ton of hidden calories and fats.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

as OP is not losing weight it is pretty obvious that she is not correctly estimating calories and would greatly benefit from using a food scale.
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thank you for posting this OP, and also thanks for all the replies. I do think it is so, so easy to misjudge/ lie to yourself. I have lost all my weight before but regained it and am trying again. Reading all this is a really good reminder. I ate well for 3 weeks and then binged for 4 days and put the lot back on. This seemed outrageously unfair, but yes overeating for 4 days can and will put it all back on. Thanks for the kick up the bum ;-)
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your responses.

I do not take more than 1,200 calories a day, i only take sushi without rice hence sashimis on my once a week cheat day. I load up on a lot of apples and bananas and kiwis. when I know a certain food is too much, I'll be mindful n limit that. it's not that I don't know what I'm eating or just focused on that. I know exactly how many calories I eat a day, n never let myself go over. even on days I have events or activities that require me to gather socially n eat, I'll compensate back the next 2 days.

I have been doing this for the past 4 months and nothing. zero.

on a side note, the doctor who made that remark is my gynaecologist. I have pcos, and my consistent weight gain is a concern on my future for having a child.

I'm 86.2kg, 40% body fat, 165cm tall.
    I'm always around 65kg which is acceptable n I'm happy hovering there.

I don't want to be skinny, please don't get me wrong. I want to be healthy again and I'm doing more than what I used to. I was bulimic when I was 17, and it was found out when I fainted at a gym one day. that is why I m mindful very mindful of the kind of food I eat n how much each time I take. I'm not giving excuses that what I'm doing is perfect. no. I'm trying to find out where I can be better at.

You have already a lot of good responses in this thread. I agree with what most people are saying, you are not creating a deficit. Your logging has to be inaccurate and you are eating more without realizing it. At your weight you would be losing weight on 1200 calories a day.

There is no need for cheat days if you eat within your calorie allowance. If you want a treat fit you can fit it in your day. Weigh everything and prelog as much as possible.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Outside of the diet comments... you only work your abs... that's it... you might kill yourself but your training the *kitten* out of 6 little muscles... get on a strength program and start lifting some heavy *kitten* weights the abs will be developed during the process.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Adding some more "you're eating more than you think and you need to get a food scale" input.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Ugh. This is what I must have sounded like. I convinced myself that meal timing or a medical problem was what was killing me. Yep. I HOPED AND HOPED that there was something terribly wrong with me when I had my first bloodwork. Come on, underactive thyroid! Baby needs a new pair of shoes! Turns out it was the high end of normal, something the doc was worried about, but he reassured me that "It'll get better if you lose some weight!" What an *kitten* I was. I would rather be sick than responsible. Sheesh.

Anyway, proper calorie tracking is what's needed, not hours of exercise and food denial. If you do have a medical problem (doesn't hurt to be tested), get it under control.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    OP Most of the comments here have given you great advice regarding measuring the amount of calories you're taking in, but I don't think you're ready to hear it.

You don't have to answer me, but please think about this: You were very accurate in describing your exercises (to the second for planks, for instance), but much more generic when describing your food intake. Given that, where do you think the problem is likely to be?
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

THIS is a brilliant example of how slight underestimations can add up very quickly.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    This goes back to it isnt that simple. OH yes it is thread.

OP when you revisit this thread then id suggest you take on board what the majority of people are telling you by re-examining your adherence to the basics namely accurate consumption and burn control. Everyone else can see for that period of time with that amount of effort then the sum total is that you are at maintenance.

Make the adjustments, create your consistent deficit, follow it for 4 weeks and you will lose.
  • amsdragonfly
    amsdragonfly Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This might have been said already, but you say you eat out a lot for dinner. I know even if I'm careful often restaurants cook with things that are really fatty or high in calories. For instance you might think that veggie stirfry looks great but it might be chock-full of calories, fats and sugars. Same with your salads you eat- what kind of dressing and how much do you use? That could be a big part of your problem as well. I know I really want a huge glob of blue cheese on my salads and I have to resist that. :blush: