Why am I not losing any weight or body fat?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Also, sorry OP for the minor meandering in your thread, I thought it was interesting how the doctors plainly said a calorie is a calorie and it's down to how many you're eating and yet her take-out was different.
    I've seen several of those shows, and I must say being those doctors, it must be very frustrating. People don't like that it comes down to calories in < calories out.

Granted, it can be a guessing game trying to figure out what your calories in and your calories out, so I get that it is equally frustrating for people who feel that they can't lose.

OP, it is incredibly easy to underestimate how much you are eating; even nutritionists underestimated their intake in a research study, and that's what they do for a living. Make sure you are using the MFP app and logging as accurately as possible (I also recommend a food scale that measures in grams).

I also am not sure how long you've done this. Weight loss isn't linear, and if you've just started a workout program, your weight can go up due to water retention (increased cortisol and muscle recovery). You even will swell with the water, which could make your clothes tighter.

Make sure you're logging accurately, and give it time.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    With that exercise load, I'd be focusing on quality carbs, not restricting them.

Rice and starchy root vegetables are your friends.

No - a food scale is her friend.

I didn't comment on that.

And plenty of people do just fine without one, since you brought it up. I agree the OP could use some help with portion recognition, but that has nothing to do with my comment.

lol - her question is about the fact that she has not lost a single pound in 4 months and you suggest adding some higher calorie foods to her diet.

Excellent advice. She's clearly eating enough calories - and that includes rice, your advice is pointless at best, opposite to her goals at worse.

She clearly isn't doing fine without one - so the fact that some people don't need them is again - pointless.

53050749.jpg
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    OP - I have been where you are. I think you're over training and eating way too little . You mentioned your hair was falling out.

Given that intense training schedule you need to eat more than 1200 calories! I attempted a similar thing and didn't lose 1 pound in SIX months. Talk about frustrated.

So I bought 2 digital scales. One for the bathroom and one for the kitchen. And I radically cut back on exercise - the gym doesn't rule my life anymore. I weight train a couple times a week and take a yoga class (great for core conditioning) and if I'm not going out for pizza and beer I'll take a dance class for fun.

My body seems to be a lot happier without all the abuse I.e. training every day. Since I backed off that crazy schedule and started eating MORE, I've lost almost 8 lbs in 21 days.

5'6" female here.
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Stop dining out. There are way more calories in those dishes than you think, and the portion sizes they serve in restaurants are often 3 - 4 times the normal serving size. I limit my dining out to twice a month. Plus you save way more money cooking your own food than going out to dinner. And I agree with others, buy a food scale and weigh everything.

Second, you need to see an endocrinologist for your PCOS, not a gynecologist. A gyno will treat the symptoms, but an endo will get more to the root of the problem.

Third, six days a week is a little extreme. Only one rest day? Your body needs more time repair itself after an intense workout.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    shoofly435 wrote: »
    OP - I have been where you are. I think you're over training and eating way too little . You mentioned your hair was falling out.

Given that intense training schedule you need to eat more than 1200 calories! I attempted a similar thing and didn't lose 1 pound in SIX months. Talk about frustrated.

So I bought 2 digital scales. One for the bathroom and one for the kitchen. And I radically cut back on exercise - the gym doesn't rule my life anymore. I weight train a couple times a week and take a yoga class (great for core conditioning) and if I'm not going out for pizza and beer I'll take a dance class for fun.

My body seems to be a lot happier without all the abuse I.e. training every day. Since I backed off that crazy schedule and started eating MORE, I've lost almost 8 lbs in 21 days.

5'6" female here.

ummm if she is eating too little then why is she not losing weight??????????
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

5'6" female here.

ummm if she is eating too little then why is she not losing weight??????????
    Starvation mode. Duh.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

5'6" female here.

You weren't weighing your food, but knew you were eating too little?

Okay.

OP, again, please get a food scale. When you are not losing weight, it's the quickest way to get to the bottom of your problems. I've been there with estimating my intake and being sure that I was eating a certain amount of calories. I was dead wrong. Being accurate really will get you on track.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    So much good advice here but it is getting lost in the derailment. OP, I hope you're getting the benefits of the good advice.
    You are certainly eating too much.
    Please read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • rbchick66
    rbchick66 Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    First you are probably gaining muscle.
    Next start taking measurements and get away from the scale for awhile, this will keep you from getting frustrated as out bodies fluctuate in weight throughout the week. I weight myself once a week at the most, on the same day first thing in the morning.
    Don't follow fad diets, your body needs 30-40% carbs 20% fats and 15% protein to be healthy. If you are not getting the proper nutrients your body will stock up. Make sure you take a multivitamin. Just remember have at least a 500 calorie deficit a day. 3500= 1 pound of fat
    Change up your workout, you don't have to do the same thing all the time or your body is going to adapt to it. Go run, swim, bike, do yoga, take some different classes. Weighs are awesome for building muscle, and cardio is good for your heart!
    DRINK WATER you seem to be doing a good job of that, but water is the most important thing you can put in your body! Drink half your body weight in ounces every day! You never want to lose water weight because once you drink water again that weight will come back. You want to focus on loosing fat.
    Last relax, the more you stress the more your body will store fat or make you want to eat. I know it can be frustrating I have been there. My own struggles have lead me to finding my career in exercise science and on my way to become a physical therapist. I hope this helps! You can do it! Don't let anyone get you down!!
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    rbchick66 wrote: »
    Next start taking measurements and get away from the scale for awhile, this will keep you from getting frustrated as out bodies fluctuate in weight throughout the week. I weight myself once a week at the most, on the same day first thing in the morning.
    Don't follow fad diets, your body needs 30-40% carbs 20% fats and 15% protein to be healthy. If you are not getting the proper nutrients your body will stock up. Make sure you take a multivitamin. Just remember have at least a 500 calorie deficit a day. 3500= 1 pound of fat
    Change up your workout, you don't have to do the same thing all the time or your body is going to adapt to it. Go run, swim, bike, do yoga, take some different classes. Weighs are awesome for building muscle, and cardio is good for your heart!
    DRINK WATER you seem to be doing a good job of that, but water is the most important thing you can put in your body! Drink half your body weight in ounces every day! You never want to lose water weight because once you drink water again that weight will come back. You want to focus on loosing fat.
    Last relax, the more you stress the more your body will store fat or make you want to eat. I know it can be frustrating I have been there. My own struggles have lead me to finding my career in exercise science and on my way to become a physical therapist. I hope this helps! You can do it! Don't let anyone get you down!!
    No. Just no.

• dahhhhhling
    Options

This sounds like a whole lot of bad broscience.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.

to the whole post or to just the first paragraph?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    No. Just no.

To the macro goals. Not sure what "stock up" means here. Poster has no idea whether a multivitamin would be useful. To the "body confusion" exercise stuff. To the water recommendation.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    No. Just no.

To the macro goals. Not sure what "stock up" means here. Poster has no idea whether a multivitamin would be useful. To the "body confusion" exercise stuff. To the water recommendation.

ta
    re multivitamins. maybe it was for the hair loss. thats abit of a concern since OP isnt under eating.
  • dahhhhhling
    Options
    Hair loss is actually a common problem with women who have PCOS. I've never experienced it, but I know others who have.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

wow, going for a career in exercise science, yet you think she is putting on muscle eating 1200 calories a day and working only her abs everyday?? please explain!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I do not take more than 1,200 calories a day,...

Sorry, but yes, you do.

Open your diary and we can show you were your logging is going wrong.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

On 1200 calories a day, with that much running?

Not a chance.

• ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. I ditto the weighing and measuring comments. I never got any real results until I got serious about logging every single thing I ate and started weighing and measuring.

I eat out a fair bit because I enjoy it and so does my family, but I am aware that it tends to introduce a lot of uncertainty into my calories for the day especially at places without even rough nutritional information. Unless you specifically tell them to cook your food without any oil or butter, you have no idea really how much was used. If I don't lose on a week where I think I should have, that's the first place I look.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

wow, going for a career in exercise science, yet you think she is putting on muscle eating 1200 calories a day and working only her abs everyday?? please explain!!

Agree, rbchick66 needs to go to the administration building at her school and ask for a refund.