"If you're fat and lose weight, you're probably gonna get fat again"

Options
bjankabanjac
bjankabanjac Posts: 14 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
A very interesting article on food addiction in obese and formerly obese people. What are your thoughts on it?

http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2014/05/if-youre-fat-and-lose-weight-youre.html

Replies

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Oh oh It gives me an error from my cel, would have try later from my laptop.

Anyway I'm on a special snowflake plan since day 1 B)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    An excuse not to commit

Don't care what happens to those who don't commit properly ...I've got this
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    oh wow the article was abit long and whiny but i get the idea.
    he saying we should face this like a drug addict faces their drug addiction or you are doomed

like everything everyone is going to be different, some will need more help than others. So far for me trying to be more mindful of what i am eating and how much i move is doing the trick. Giving a damn about how i look and having loads more choice in the shops is keeping me going. Not having heart burn or being less tired is also keeping me going. so the simple move more and eat less is ok for me, i dont need therapy and i cant afford a personal trainer.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    2 in a 1000... I would like to see the source of that ...
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think I can agree in the get all the help you can to beat obesity, but let's just be honest the best explanation for weight gain again is just the whole setting of I'm dieting (plus I must deprive my self from anything that is not salad and meat) , so when the diet is over I can go back and eat what I want.

Yeah "the diet" is never over, we can't expect to temporally change our eating habits and stay in a healthy weight for ever

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Considering how much misinformation about nutrition is out there, I'm not surprised.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    The statistics are pretty bad - not that bad, but not great. There's a new study out that says the tide as been stemmed and the recidivism rate is now "only" 80%.

But the reality is more people who lose weight gain it back than keep it off.

That's the reason there's a health crisis in this country. That's the reason they keep writing diet books, why there are millions of people on this site. And why the diet industry is so lucrative.

The bottom line is that success is not easy to maintain, it's not dramatic to say I've stayed the same weight as opposed to I've just lost x pounds.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Since I don't have food addiction, I'm okay.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I really don't care what a flaky study says.

People do great things all the time

Have some faith In yourself.
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    :( that doesn't bode well for me. Im trying to develop healthy habits and Im hoping they stick, as I've been fat all my life and want a change. Once I get this weight off, I hope it stays off! Hehe.
  • Sued0nim
    edited July 2015
    Options
    :( that doesn't bode well for me. Im trying to develop healthy habits and Im hoping they stick, as I've been fat all my life and want a change. Once I get this weight off, I hope it stays off! Hehe.

Don't hope

Plan for it

Realise maintenance takes commitment too

And do
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

Read the comments above you. Article is a load of codswallop. The only thing that decides if your weight stays off is you, not an article that is written by a person who likes to make excuses, or a statistic. The willpower of people is what changes the statistics in the first place.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    3r88im0et0ya.png

This, so much this.

I have been guilty of the "I eat this way. Oy, I need to lose weight. I will now restrict myself something fierce, lose the pounds I want, then fall back into my old ways" before. It takes a lifestyle change, doing something you can do for the rest of your life. Ten years ago when I finally decided I wouldn't do anymore diets, it clicked. I lost and have maintained relatively well since. It took me changing my mindset before I found something I could live with for the rest of my life.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    A very interesting article on food addiction in obese and formerly obese people. What are your thoughts on it?

http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2014/05/if-youre-fat-and-lose-weight-youre.html

Might as well quit then and just stay fat
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

You're a special snowflake. I'm a special snowflake. Everyone who stays the course is a special snowflake.

I think I will probably log forever and I am okay with that. It's worked for me for the last 11 months and as I enter maintenance very soon, it will work for me there too.

Don't hope your habits stick. Plan to make your habits stick.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Everything I have read says pretty much the same thing, but not only about obese and formerly obese people. Most people gain back all (and in many cases) even more weight. Very few actually keep it off for five years or more. I am approaching 21 months of having kept the weight off (I was formerly morbidly obese, and have been a "normal" weight for almost 21 months now) and intend to keep the weight off. The alternative is not acceptable, and no food tastes as good as it feels, to feel healthier and to be able to move around easier and to buy clothes in a much, much smaller size.

It is not easy to maintain, but it isn't easy losing the weight either. Staying committed and focused is necessary to keep the weight off and achieving long term success, and I am going to prove the statistics wrong as many people here have done, and are doing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The "addiction " approach is ill-conceived. With addiction you cut out the addictive substance entirely. You can't cut out food. The issue is that some habits are hard to change, and in a battle of instant gratification vs delayed benefit, without conscious reasoning instant gratification will always win. In maintenance a person's focus on diet tends to taper off since seeing the same number on the scale (that is if they keep the amazing habit of weighing periodically) is not the same as anticipating different numbers each time.

This sounds more like an excuse to me. Yes it's hard for those who have been consuming too many calories to change their whole eating world to fit their new maintenance goal, but it's not impossible. Relying on concepts such as "addiction" only shifts the blame from the person to some mysterious power out of their control that forces them to eat.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Ahh the Addiction card or as it's otherwise known. 'It's not my fault, so that's the excuse me not getting of my fat *kitten* and doing something about it'