What's YOUR treat method/cycle?

Options
Just interested to see how people treat themselves with food they enjoy either a cheat meal/treat etc I've seen various such as
- 1 day in the month for a cheat day
- Each night fitting a treat within calorie goal limit
- One cheat meal a week

I was thinking to go with every 21st day of moderately clean eating within calorie limit having a cheat day :)

What's your treat method and what do you generally treat yourself with :)

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I just had a bowl of ice cream, it's pretty much a nightly thing. Fits my goals.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If it's a special occasion or I'm going out to a restaurant for a meal (especially if it's one that doesn't publish its calories) then I'll use that as my cheat meal and eat what I want. If it happens unusually regularly for a period of time for some reason then I'll try to be careful while I'm out, but since things like that are usually fairly spread apart, it doesn't matter so much.

I'd rather not do it at a set time/interval partly because I don't feel the desire to eat more if I'm just at home, and because I'd much rather have a day of relaxing when I'm with people having fun than just a day at home by myself eating a big meal. And it's much easier to stay in your calories accurately when you're at home than when you're out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I make room in my allotment daily for something yummy.
  • GypsyByTheSea
    GypsyByTheSea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have fought hard to overcome binge eating. It has taken all of 3 years to learn to eat in a healthy, sustainable way every day. My brain sees a cheat day or meal as a free for all. I have learned to work some treats into my calories almost every day - that way I never feel deprived and I don't perpetuate the cycle of overeating or "cheating".
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If I feel like it, I have a "treat", but I generally don't want them. I don't even think of them as treats any longer. Eating stuff that isn't good for me doesn't seem like a treat. It might taste good, but so does a bowl of berries. And the berries are healthier. Eating yummy food and staying healthy - that's a treat. :)

I just don't want those "treats."

I used to think I did, but when I gave myself permission to eat them, I found out that I don't really want to. I really want to eat the healthier fare.

If I want junk food, I can have it any time I want. I don't have to portion it, even. I can just have whatever I want, whenever I want it.

I choose not to have that stuff. So I guess my method is making choices. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't allot special times or schedules or amounts to my treats. They just occur. I also truly enjoy my "usual" daily foods such that I don't feel the need to eat something decadent as a reward for eating "healthy".
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I make room in my allotment daily for something yummy.

This

In addition I work to weekly calorie goals, which means I usually eat less on week days when I have more structured eating patterns, and more at the weekends when I am more likely to go out for meals, attend celebrations, etc. So on average I maintain a deficit across the week, even if I have a 'blowout' meal.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'll have something 'unhealthy' every now and then. Make it fit in my macro's.
    If someone is treating or something similar, I'm not going to be 'that guy'. I'll join if I want to and again, make it fit my macro's (or account for it the next day).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    I eat yummy food all the time. :)

I figure that if I've got a maximum calorie limit, I'm not touching anything I don't like ... it's just not worth it. Only food I like!!

If I want more yummy food than usual, or yummy food with a higher calorie count ... like say, cheesecake ... which might take me over my maximum calorie limit, I exercise for it.

I usually exercise quite a bit on weekends, so I can have pizza for dinner or whatever I want.

No cheats involved ... it's all within my maximum calorie limit.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i eat the foods that I like/want every day. I just make sure that they fit my macro/micro/calorie targets for the day.

stop viewing foods as cheats, bad, evil, good, etc. Food = food it provides your body with energy for bodily functions.

There is no such thing as bad food, just bad diets.

eat the foods you like, make sure you hit micros/macros, and stop applying moral judgements to food.

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I think cheat days are incredibly stupid--who are you cheating? Yourself?

I don't know what "moderately clean" means but I bet it looks like how most of us on here eat--mostly nutrient-dense with a sprinkling of calorie-dense.

I eat a treat most days. Some days I go to bed before I get around to it and some days I don't want it. Having junk food as an everyday option lessens its allure.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    IIFYM. Weekdays are usually pretty boring "clean" foods, but I schedule ice cream in almost every night. Weekends usually involve some pizza and beer.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    My method is: If I want it, I'm eating it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I eat yummy food all the time. :)

I figure that if I've got a maximum calorie limit, I'm not touching anything I don't like ... it's just not worth it. Only food I like!!

If I want more yummy food than usual, or yummy food with a higher calorie count ... like say, cheesecake ... which might take me over my maximum calorie limit, I exercise for it.

I usually exercise quite a bit on weekends, so I can have pizza for dinner or whatever I want.

No cheats involved ... it's all within my maximum calorie limit.

For example, this evening my husband made Anzac Biscuits. The house filled will the delicious smell of warm cookies. :)

I had one ... because it fit in within my calorie limit.

• rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the concept of a cheat day. I eat what I want all the time, just less of it than I did before. I had a movie day with some friends and worked half a box of S'mores Oreos into my calorie allotment for the day. It wasn't a "cheat" - I still stayed within my calories. I eat out on a daily basis because my coworkers are always wanting to go out for lunch and I want to join them. I get the things I want and adjust my portion sizes as needed. I've lost 30 pounds so far.

There have been days where I was all out of calories and sat down with a bag of chips anyway. That wasn't a cheat day either, it was a lack of self control. But considering I'm eating at a deficit, the extra calories aren't going to make me gain much, if anything.

I know that cheat days make sense to some people, and may even help with their goals. I just know that my attempts in the past to lose weight always failed when I demonized certain foods or looked at my diet as something I could "cheat" on.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I keep sweets around the house and usually eat some in the afternoon because that's when I usually want them. If I really want something when I'm out, I'll get whatever I can make fit into my calorie goals

I might try to save some calories if I know there is an event coming up, or I'll take whatever i ate over that day and reduce my intake a little for the next few days.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't log or hold back when I travel. That's usually once or twice a year, but this summer I've practically lived at the airport and it's gotten a bit out of hand. I may have to revise my plan to not logging one day per week while traveling, or something similar.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want if it fits in my macros.

When I was still eating at a deficit, I'd have to eat fewer calories for a couple of days in order to make room for a trip to a Tex-Mex restaurant once a month or so. Now that I'm eating at maintenance (or a little below, now -- curse you, C25K!) I can fit it in as a normal dinner just by having more protein and less carbs earlier in the day.
  • SavannahStClair
    SavannahStClair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the other posts here. I view "cheat days" as cheating yourself. Plus, if I weighed more the next day I would lose motivation and probably just fall off the wagon. So, I have treats if it fits in my day and only if I wanted them before I realized I was under my calorie goal for the day. Even then, my treats are potion controlled, and I don't go overboard.
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    During certain phases I will start buying Reese's peanut butter cups LOL I have a major weakness for them! I will buy maybe one or two packages and eat them over 2-3 days. However, I always make sure that they fit into my calorie allotment. I feel that allowing myself to have this once in a while, actually when I really want it, prevents me from going off track.