WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Pip - OUCH oh gosh I got shivers to my toes just seeing that bump sticking up there and picturing that bone in your x-ray. Man I don't know how you are doing it. Does the contraption make it hurt more? (((Hugs))) heal thots.

Barbie - Hooray for finishing the email on your goal list. :)

Meg in OMG :) - I'm with you. I am SO over this. Our humidity was down a wee bit today, it helped a little. Hopefully it keeps moving down. LOL it would be quite a quake for Oklahoma to fall off in the ocean.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Congratulations on finally receiving the legacy from your DMIL from your first marriage. This is very good news. :flowerforyou: :heart: The news about the rental is not as good. :noway: I hope you'll at least be able to break even.

Katla
  • Katla49
    Options
    Pip: Your situation is so difficult and you are handling it better than I would. I hope you are able to heal from your injuries. Is there a possibility that the doctors will re-break the bones so they an be set?
  • Katla49
    Options
    I am sharing this lovely poem by a fitness pal friend, JNHeff:

I do not like this heat, NO MA'AM, I do not like it, Sam-I-am! I do not like sweat in my eyes, I do not like my sweaty thighs. I do not like this heat and sun, It's too danged HOT, and it's NO FUN! I'm drinking water, iced and tall, and dreaming of the temps in Fall.

I hope we can all keep our cool in the next little while. Here in Beautiful NW Oregon, we have temps forecast to be 100+ for the next few days. We aren't used to this kind of heat. :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Katla- I will be sending you icy thoughts! Great poem! Fitting with the release of the new Dr. Seuss book!
    Mary from Minnesota
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Walked at lunch, going outside to warm up because the a/c was so fierce. Did the short post-work walk, and made 7500 steps, which I've read is sorta the healthy minimum and also got me up to a leftover-pizza level for supper. Other denizens had scarfed the 'za, so had a sorta mix-and-match supper.
    Since hitting 152 on 7-20 I've been up to 154.5 and back down to 153. I know it's just fluctuation, and I'll eventually get down below 152. I keep weighing daily, though.

Kim from N Cali -
    this
    http://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/cooking-questions/can-you-freeze-coconut-milk
    quotes a mfgr as saying coconut milk doesn't freeze well but has a 4-6 shelf life in an airtight container in the fridge (not the original can).
    This, on t'other hand,
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/556053
    has a buncha people saying, "Yeah, I do it alla time."
    Here's another w/ more detail about hows & whys. http://www.canyoufreezethis.com/can-you-freeze-coconut-milk/
    (Ice-cube trays are often 1 oz divisions, so I'll often freeze small amounts of stuff in 1 oz and 1 TB portions, making it easy to get, say, 2 Tb of tomato paste or 1 Tb of chilis in adobo sauce.)

Miriam - Loads of sympathy over weedy yard nad painful hips.

Heather - I have to make sure to measure hummus, and go by the 2 Tbs-at-a-time rule. Then maybe 2 Tbs more if I have the calories. :) I like to spread 2 Tb on a wrap and add greens and then an oz or two of meat.
    If grated coconut has to be chiseled out, freeze it in ice-cube trays. ;) Or does it come as a frozen block?
    YAY on the legacy!

Lisa - wow, your daughter's gorgeous! The other three aren't hard on the eyes, but she's amazing. In large part, it's the warmth in her eyes.

Toni - way to go, with the scale verifying your good work.

cd_va - that sncks about the dress & zipper.

Mia - have a great vacation. Since you know what you need to do, I won't add to the lecture. :)

Peep - !!!!!! Wow. (re doc). The bandage looks on top like the figure 8 bandage I remember from my childhood (much less serious) broken collarbone. Still looks yikes-y. Heal well!

DJanet - woo-hoo indeed! <joining the happy dance>

terri - YAY on the broken plateau!

Chris MA - congrats on the loss, nad good wishes for the class swap.

annieJannie - oy. Best of luck getting their insurance to pay hotel. It damn well oughta.

Sylvia - yup, you spelled quinoa right. I have to remind myself it's pronounced KEEN-wah. :)

Vicki - great loss!

Becca - I'm rolling my eyes at those TOPS women.

Fiddle - care to share the veggie chili recipe? (I just realized that's three different spellings in a row for "ee".)

DJanet - ssteak and sparrowgrass sounds excellent. I usually wind up bringing some steak home when I order it.

NCCarol - <<<hugs>>>

Jane - discouraging indeed, that bill. And that your son didn't tell you about the surgery (though I gotta admit Larry didn'ttell his sibs about his back surgery beforehand).
    Great news about baby Nathan breast feeding and sassy. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a liver. Could either parent donate?

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Heather, I think that men think being 'sporty' makes them look more manly. I'm glad mine mainly likes golf. It is a gentlemens sport. I think that your 4 day cricket is like our 4 day golf tournaments. Great that your ex is finally saying he will relinquish your legacy but will he follow through with it???

Miriam, the company we chose to go through with comes highly recommended. But as we were reading over the estimate, we see it does not mention grinding down the huge roots this tree has or removing a second trunk from a pine tree we had cut down a couple of years ago. Charlie ha had a bad habit of hiring anyone who is cheap and hired some day laborers that were working down the street. Yep, they were cheap but they did a really cheap job and it was a cash and handshake deal. All three contractors, and I write that very lightly are now in prison because of fraud. He now says I am in charge of hiring contractors. he doesn't trust himself. We gt a bid on the exterior painting and it was $3500. I have no idea what is normal so we will be getting another couple of bids. He is still living in the 1990's as far as pricing. He thinks it is terrible you have to pay more than $150.00 for a good recliner.

Mia, you are going to get that song in my head ow and it won't leave very easily. Leavin' on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again. I think it was a Peter Paul and Mary song or maybe a John Denver.

Pip, thanks for the explanation but just accept the fact that we are still going to worry about you. Maybe he didn't want to do surgery because of your recent, and still ongoing, concussion. Just be very, very careful with those dizzy spells and don't fall again. How in the world did you post from the eye doctor's when your eyes were dilated??? That brace isn't exactly fashion forward! Maybe you need to dye it a neon pink or orange when it is off at night. Ouch, just saw the picture of the bone sticking up. And the ER in Las Vegas didn't see this???? Mybe you could include a picture of the films in place of your payment???

Vicki, from my own experience, your friend may be handling the death of her spouse pretty well on the outside, but on the inside she may be crumbling. I have found that a good sincere hug can help break that barrier that is deep in her heart so that she can really let it out and have a really good cry on a friends shoulder. Believe me, I have been there myself and you feel so awful inside because you can't let it out.

Becca, so sorry your TOPS group didn't accept your idea. I know it meant a lot to you and they not only are not accepting the idea but they are now having a problem accepting you.

Janetr, so scary about the fracking wells that are around the epicenter. I know I don't want it so bad that we feel the results over here in severe southwestern Indiana. I know we are right on the New Madrid fault line and we have never had 'the big one'. But it will come and I don't want some other states fracking to be part of the cause. I think there was an episode on 'The Walton's' that dealt with fracking way back then.

Carol, hugs to you tonight. Hope you can put it all out of your head and have a good rest.

Meg, no, we were thinking that we may have to spend $10,000 for all of our outdoor work, tree, bushes and two stump removal, all exterior painting, two new doors and new windows throughout. And that includes a new patio door in that two doors. I would love to have french doors instead of the patio door but I have never seen screens with french doors and I would love to have m kitchen door open to just screens. As far as importing pictures, did your phone come with a cord that has a USB thing at the end? If it's a i phone or smart phone it probably did. Connect that to a USB port on your computer and the computer will recognize it and will ask you to follow the prompts. Then you have all your pictures on your phone downloaded, and you just go to pictures and select the ones you want here, select open and there it is!

Well my stress over all of this getting bids and everything made me eat pizza. well having Barbie in my head, the stress in my head did not make me eat pizza, I allowed myself to eat pizza. It was a very conscious decision. We were talking about supper plans and had some good plans in the works but I said I wanted a really good pizza. I did have a thin crust but it was sausage. I had about 1/4 of a medium pizza. They cut it into those little pieces so I can't really say how many pie shaped slices that would have been. I did try to eat the smaller pieces though. So I have it in my notes here that now I know why I am not loosing weight, everyone else is loosing some and leaving me any weight to lose. But in reality, it is in myself that I haven't.

My hip isn't hurting much today unless I stand up form sitting awhile or getting out of bed. But after walking a bit I don't look like I have a 'hitch in my get along' anymore. Today we went to Maceys to look for a hat for Charlie, I saw it online but they don't carry any hats except baseball type hats. He is so particular about what hat he wears to Karaoke. He has a nice cowboy type hat but wants another one that he can wear when he sings a lot of Frank Sinatra. He calls it a fedora and I have found lots of fedoras but he wants one with a wider bill on it that he can mold to the shape he wants. MEN! Muggy outside today. The only think I see good about it is that with the steamy sunglasses, I can use my shirt to clean them really well.

Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Caught up again.
    Lisa - What a great family to pitch in like that. Looking forward to those after photos.

Tulip - Veggies.

Mary - The cramps are a symptom of the silent reflux. So they are just a reminder of "What Not to Eat!" I would definitely drink pickle juice if I had some.

Sylvia - Hope your birthday was very , very happy.

Pip- I am glad to hear that you don't have to have surgery.

Heather - It's about time your exe agreed to give you what was left to you.

Janet/Katla /everyone - I'm very against fracking. So far we have stopped it in Lethbridge.

I would tell you what i've been up to but just too tired now.

Good night
    -Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,818 Member
    Options
    Joyce~ we have a french door and yes we have a screen with it...
    Well ladies I did it.. took my 300.00 debit card and joined the new gym.. I need to be accountable for my eating, and getting healthy. and most of the people that were over at the other gym have moved to this one...
    look forward to using the massage chairs and aqua massage table.. they have yoga classes, zumba, which I might go to tomorrow morning and stay waaaaay back in the room as I am not the most graceful person in the bunch.
    It is supposed to be 95 with the heat index over 100
    did 1/2 hr on treadmill and a few of the machines, have an appt with personal trainer next thursday..
    cannot do high impact because of the kidneys, but I am on a mission ;)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,368 Member
    Options
    Off to Rick Stein in a moment. Looking forward to my free fish lunch! The latest reviews have been generally excellent so I'm hoping they have turned the corner. :)

I have done all my exercises and will get half an hour's walking in, so have 700 calories to play with.
    This morning I was a teeny, tiny bit under target weight so I am happy. :bigsmile:

JanetM -- I bought it frozen in a block. :( By the way the recipe was delicious! DH said he could eat it every day! :D
    I will visit the Chinese shop where I bought it today if I have time as I want to buy more Dim Sum for the freezer. Got to take a freezer bag with me though.

Love to all. I'm off!

Heather UK
    27681614.png
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Joyce we had some exterior painting done about three years ago and it was our upper trim and overhang. It was around $900 for that, so if you are having a whole house done $3500 sounds reasonable. I made sure I bought the paint because I wanted them to use top of the line paint. I did get a discount because I mentioned the painters name, and he had an account with the store. One thing I wish they would have told us is they used high powered sanders for prep work and the dust got all over everything. If I had know that I would have put sheets down near windows and over furniture. We always like to get three bids and then ask to see work they did for someone else. When we hired the last crew to do our roof we did this and are very happy with the result. Good luck finding the right contractors and crew to paint your home.

Lisa love the family pics.

We have not gotten so hot here, but have had high humidity. Today we are getting a break in the humidity and it promises to be a gorgeous day. For those of you suffering in the heat, sending cool thoughts.

I thought it was interesting that my husband was finally looking into air conditioning for our home when we had four days of hot humid weather. We have hot water heat, so we do not have duct work for AC. When we have had hot humid summers in the past I begged him for AC. He was working at the time and spent most of his time in AC. Interesting how he changed his mind now that he is home because of retirement. For me this summer is one of our better ones.

Going to a picnic today. It is a group of teachers I worked with in the past.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,989 Member
    Options
    950031uf6l9pd3ly.gif
  • tonithewriter
    tonithewriter Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My scale is up somewhere between an half lb and one lb, but I find that when I get back to my exercise routine after a long hiatus that happens. I am eating right and back to daily exercise, so I am not worried.

I am up early and working on some free lance writing jobs. I plugged a workout into the mid-day schedule and hope to take a dip in the pool later since it will be hot, then a bit more work this afternoon.

I don't have time to respond to all of you, but I'm reading the posts. Those who are injured or ailing, I hope you feel better soon. Those on vacay-enjoy!

6vnmqu5k66g9.jpg

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Dont know what happened here, but my computer won't let me delete it. Happy Day Everyone!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Lillian, no no no. We are supposed to get the weight to go down, not up. That’s a bummer about the animal tracks around your house. Just be careful out walking. Hopefully they are more afraid of you than you are them.

DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

I know!!!! I have eaten bread - this is a NO NO food for me.... it contains yeast, and yes the headaches are back because of it. I am hoping that it is the bread that has made my lower belly swell and tender and not my fibroid or the mass on my adrenal gland changing :(

And yes - usually the wild animals are more scared of people than us of them,.... unless they have babies, then they are more aggressive.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    Barbie

Lillian – sorry about your bee sting. I was stung in my hair just beyond my ear. I took 5 bees out of my hair last week Wednesday. It hurt for a long while. I hope yours gets better soon. I’m a fan of benedryl pills and cream.

Terri in Milwaukee (no news lately on the lion)

Oh my goodness... that would be so hard to get the bees out of your hair!!!

I don't think I have been strung for a long time. My DH is very allergic to bee stings, he carries an epipen. And he is very diligent about keeping the bees nests under control. This one was in the greenhouse and he doesn't usually go there....

I will look for Benadryl pills next time I am in the city. It took a long time for the swelling to go down and the itching... oh yeah.... the spot is still red.

• Lilymay2
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    950031uf6l9pd3ly.gif

That is going to be me toooo!!!

I am starting August goals NOW!!! All the July birthdays are over. Last one was mine yesterday and DH said - I thought of getting your friend Helen to make a cake...but we would be the only 2 eating it and neither one of us needs it!! Oh he is so thoughtful.... There have been 5 birthdays and 5 cakes.....and 5 parties!!!!!

I have gained 4 pounds this month and I feel like sh*****t, headaches, legs hurt from the sugar, just yuck!!!

So my holidays start today .... nope not going anywhere!! Just staying home, getting back on track!!

August goals
    Walk - go somewhere - not just steps around the house ... my dog wants to go up to the lake
    Eat right - the headaches will go away.

Getting back on track

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Just had to stop and post these pictures that arrived in my phone. Kitty headband and minion hat that I made for sisters of Payne's baseball teammate.dx51pi1nlswr.jpg
    x0ek7ipcckv8.jpg
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have read for 1-1/2 hours and finally caught up...LOL

Lisa ~ Your daughter and her DH and children are beautiful. I know you must be so proud of them for all the help they gave you in the restaurant. Enjoy your day off... you deserve it.

Katla ~ The poem was very cute. Reminds me of Dr. Seuss's work.

Pip ~ That looks so uncomfortable. Hope the brace works for you.

Joyce ~ Sounds like you are in for a lot of work going on around your house. Good luck. We have a huge (3 story high) maple tree outside our bedroom and I fear it falling on the roof some day. We had our house painted on the outside 3 years ago (needed some rotten boards on one side replaced) and the guy was very reasonable. Only problem was that the screened in porch immediately started peeling up paint and the screen is totally hanging off on one side. So, I will have to rehire someone to fix it.

All of you who keep your grand kids almost every day are in my thoughts. I admire your stamina so much. We kept the 3 and 5 yr old yesterday and by the time I took them home, I was exhausted both mentally and physically. At almost 67 it was too much and I could never do it more than once in a while.

Carol ~ GA
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Katla, glad you had a good time with the sailing club. Those always have to be fun outings. Later: I love the poem. Thanks for sharing. sex.gif

Vicki, a big CONGRATS on that 1/6 pounds. Don’t ya love it when the scale moves that much? Keep up the good work.

Barbie, good going on that weight training. I did think of you last night when I was ordering at the restaurant. Had to explain that they could put seasoning on my steak but none of the butter or sauce. My grilled asparagus was cooked to perfection; just the right al dente’. (No butter on it either.) Congrats on that second email. It feels great to finish goals. biggrin.gif

Becca, I think sometimes a support group has members that simply forget they are there to give as well as receive support. You know, at any age there are just some catty, complainers in most groups.

Pip, I agree that you must have a high pain threshold. I must have missed where you told us what the doc said? Is the plan to not have surgery? That is unreal how that bone is sticking up! awww.gif Poor baby.

CarolNC, sending good thoughts your way. I hope you had a good night’s sleep and today is much better. ((((Hugs))))

Jane
    , glad baby Nathan is getting a little better. Bummer on the dentist bill. They sure add up fast.

Meg, this has been a hot and humid summer for many of us. Remember just a few months ago when we were all complaining about the very cold winter? If I had to choose, I’ll take the summer. Lol sweat.gif

JanetM, I didn’t bring any steak home because I ordered the smallest one, which was a 6 oz. With no potato, I ate the whole steak. I used to always order a filet, but since meat has gotten so expensive, I’ve notice lots of restaurants don’t even offer it any more. Now it’s usually a sirloin. Oh well.

Joyce, I’m sitting here reading about Charlie and you could be talking about my DH. He is the same way with hiring the lowest price and expecting to pay the same thing he did 50 years ago. And I’m like you in that I will get at least 3 bids on something I don’t know what the price should be. Man, can you get a wide variety of bids, too. What’s funny (NOT) is that when you ask friends and neighbors for a recommendation, they often will only tell you who not to use. You were right that Peter, Paul and Mary and John Denver sang Leavin’ on a Jet Plane. I think PP&M were first. Oh I’m so sorry to hear that the Pizza Devil got to you. He has been tempting me but so far I have resisted. Next time you think about it, just remember this deep voice saying, “Step Away From The Pizza”, and whatever you do, don’t have any of the leftovers! nono.gif

Alliison
    , good for you on joining the new gym. I hope you have many great hours there in the year to come.

Lillian, so sorry you were force to eat all that BD cake this month. Yesterday was your birthday and you didn’t tell us??? Shame on you. Belated bday.gif

Terri, the knitted items are too cute!!!

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

So far not much planned for today. I do need to cut my hair so will get that done after a few exercises.
    I hope each of you has a happy and healthy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC