1200 calories? Anybody doing it?

Options
So I know this site reccomends everyone trying to lose weight to eat 1200 calories... I was wondering how many people actually are? And how it is going for you?

Also even though I'm new I realize 1200 is too low for most people. I am just curious about if it's working for some.

Replies

• Imogensmom
    Imogensmom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I rarely only eat 1200 but the exercise daily takes that up to a more normal 1500-1600. I think 1200 is a good base if you are very sedentary and it does push me to earn more!
  • alyfrancis582
    alyfrancis582 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I often eat below 1200 calories. I'm already fairly small though and don't struggle to stay at a low caloric intake.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It works definitely. But in my experience, I was miserable 24/7. I lost weight super fast.. but I also lost my energy, my somewhat good relationship with food, and my hair (not kidding. I really did lose A LOT of hair). Now I eat 1950 cals a day and lift weights instead of spending hours running on the treadmill every week (still run, but mostly do HIIT). Feel so much better and I like the way my body looks now instead of how it looked the first time around. Do what is best for you. Just because everyone else is doing it does not mean it should be your first or only choice.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It doesn't recommend everyone 1200, 1200 is just a really common recommendation because it's the lowest it'll go and people tend to put 2lbs/week as their desired loss instead of a goal that's more realistic.

I was on 1200 for ages, I lost 55lbs eating that much. I've changed my goal now to 0.5lbs/week so I'm now on 1370 a day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Me. I eat about 1200/day. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I eat healthy food, too.

I stay nice and full and I lose weight. I lose slowly, but I do lose. :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    So I know this site reccomends everyone trying to lose weight to eat 1200 calories...

Only if 'everyone' is female, puts that they want to lose 2 lbs per week, and does not exercise.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight at 1800-2000, but my TDEE is around 2500. I did the default 1200 cals at first and my hair started to fall out, so I did some reading and this thread helped me incredibly:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Best of luck!
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I eat somewhere between 1,150 and 1,250 cals a day. I eat a lot of low calorie, healthy foods. I don't have any problem staying full or energized.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So I know this site reccomends everyone trying to lose weight to eat 1200 calories... I was wondering how many people actually are? And how it is going for you?

Also even though I'm new I realize 1200 is too low for most people. I am just curious about if it's working for some.

This site does not recommend everyone eat 1200 to lose. It recommends not going below 1200 calories no matter what. If you your TDEE and weekly weight loss goal that sets your calorie goal. If you are at 1200 cals you either are quite small already, or have too much of an aggressive weekly weight loss goal.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Most people who eat 1200 calories, who say they feel fine on that, usually don't weigh their food, so most likely they are eating more then 1200 cals. That's why they lose weight slower. :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    It doesn't recommend that I eat 1200. But then again, I don't have it set to 2lbs/week loss.
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to 1200 but I usually go over for a treat. I usually work the treat into my calorie for the day, but life happens. I do a major exercise day on Sundays (3 hours of bike riding). This allows me wiggle room on Sunday and sometimes calories that I can spread throughout my week to make the allowance higher.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1240 calories a day. I usually eat a little over that and have about 300 left over from my Fitbit adjustment. I have lost 14 lbs since June 16. On days I am really focused on eating well I have to actually find something to eat at the end of the day because MFP says my calories are too low.
  • Acetona
    Acetona Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also even though I'm new I realize 1200 is too low for most people.
    Too low, how? Do you think you'll die or something? I go for 5000 kilojoules. It's more than enough. I have a bit more if I train (half-marathon, etc).
  • erickirb
    Options
    Acetona wrote: »
    Also even though I'm new I realize 1200 is too low for most people.
    Too low, how? Do you think you'll die or something? I go for 5000 kilojoules. It's more than enough. I have a bit more if I train (half-marathon, etc).

too low in that if it is too far below maintenance you risk a larger % of any weight loss to come from lean muscle, not the fat you want to lose (assuming fat loss and health, not weight loss is your actual goal)
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    So I am an unusual example. 48 yo male, starting weight 258. Current weight 241 - 8 weeks into program.

I am doing 1200-1300 per day - and that is NOT net - that is total. I am working out every other day - cardio and weightlifting.

I weigh everything I eat on a digital scale.

Everyone's metabolism is different. I felt mine slowing down, and I have a sedentary job. There are so many variables that go into what you need to eat. For me, 1200 is fine... I am not hungry except at meal time. No symptoms AT ALL of "starvation mode".

R
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Nope. I can eat a lot more than that and lose weight. I'd be starving and cranky on 1200 calories. I guess it also depends on whether you mean 1200, or 1200 + exercise calories. Right now, I'm doing about 1400 + exercise cals.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

Um, no, this site does not recommend that "everyone" eats 1200 calories. It calculates how much YOU need to eat based on your height, weight, activity level, and goal. I currently only get 1200 calories because I'm under 5 feet tall and close to my goal weight. And that's for only a half pound weekly loss. But I don't eat 1200 calories. I tend to eat around 1400 because I exercise.
  • erickirb
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Rhyalus wrote: »
    So I am an unusual example. 48 yo male, starting weight 258. Current weight 241 - 8 weeks into program.

I am doing 1200-1300 per day - and that is NOT net - that is total. I am working out every other day - cardio and weightlifting.

I weigh everything I eat on a digital scale.

Everyone's metabolism is different. I felt mine slowing down, and I have a sedentary job. There are so many variables that go into what you need to eat. For me, 1200 is fine... I am not hungry except at meal time. No symptoms AT ALL of "starvation mode".

R

No, sorry to tell you but 1200 is not "fine" for you, unless you want a large % of your weight loss to come from lean muscle instead of the fat you are trying to lose.

The minimum a man should eat is 1500-1600 net.

I am a man that weighs 145lbs and to lose weight I eat 1700-2000 cals, at your weight you should be able to eat 2000+ calories.
  • joannemgregory
    joannemgregory Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have my weight loss set at a 1lb per week so I have 1680 cals. I couldn't survive on 1200 it makes me feel ill would rather lose slower. My fitbit adjustment gives me extra cals on top but I do not always eat them.