Stronglifts 5x5

Options
Malak74
Malak74 Posts: 21 Member
Hi everybody,
I'm 40 years old working mum 149 lbs, need to loose 17 lbs and get stronger and fit, I was looking to some posts her and saw a program called Stronglifts 5x5, googled it and had small idea about it, has anyone tried the same? what do you recommend for me? if someone can put a sample workout plan for me that I can squeeze in my busy life...
I need to get in shape,I've been struggling...help the old lady pleeeeease :)
Thanks a lot in advance

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a great program for beginners. It's simple and only 3x a week. I'd start with that!
  • Malak74
    Options
    Stronglifts is a great program for beginners. It's simple and only 3x a week. I'd start with that!

Thanks a lot for your reply much appreciated.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    stronglifts IS a sample workout plan. we don't need to put anything additional together for you
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Malak74 wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    I'm 40 years old working mum 149 lbs, need to loose 17 lbs and get stronger and fit, I was looking to some posts her and saw a program called Stronglifts 5x5, googled it and had small idea about it, has anyone tried the same? what do you recommend for me? if someone can put a sample workout plan for me that I can squeeze in my busy life...
    Thanks a lot in advance

I started doing SL 5x5 over a month ago and i enjoy it!
    Here's the link that helped me get started http://stronglifts.com/5x5/#How_much_weight_should_I_start_with ..... just scroll down the page a bit and you'll see the workout schedule.
    I started out with a much lower weight than suggested though, but i'm progressing nicely now.
    40 is not old btw! ;)
  • alwilson1974
    alwilson1974 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We are in the same boat....I am a 41 year old mum and just started SL 5x5 on Monday. It seems to be short sweet and to the point. Try the 5x5 app. it gives you everything you need for the work out. Good luck!
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It's alright. For a total beginner.

There's a few flaws in the program though.

Firstly, Underhand Grip bent over rows are superior to overhand Grip ones, and are a better antagonist to the bench press.

For Deadlift, 5 reps I feel is too much, but there should be more than one set as there's not enough volume, I recommend changing the Deadlift from 1x5 to 5x3.

Another thing is that there is no antagonist to the overhead press, and thus a chin up (Underhand) should be added (same grip width as overhead press).

Also, squats 3x per week with deads only once or twice at such low volume will likely result in lagging hamstrings and glutes which could lead to an injury.

Also, squats and deadlifts in the same session is risky, you will have fatigued erectors leading to a weaker Deadlift and you could cause an injury in your spine.

Benches and Presses work the anterior portion of your deltoid too much, while hardly touching the middle and rear portions, which can lead to all kinds of cracks and pops from your shoulders, along with forward rounding. Isolation exercises should fix that.

There is no isolation for the pecs or back, and thus you could add flies and pullovers

So, it should look like this:

Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    (Flies optional 3x8-12)
    Row 5x5
    (Reverse flies optional 3x8-12)

Deadlift 5x3
    Press 5x5
    (Lateral raises optional 3x8-12)
    Chin Up 5x5
    (Pullover optional 3x8-12)

It's a simple program, but can lead to weaknesses and thus injuries from muscle imbalances.

Follow the above program (my version I used to follow after having weak hand and glutes and tonic traps with slightly hunched forward shoulders.

You're welcome
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Also, don't start with just the bar if you can do more, use around 80% of your 5rm, despite what mehdi says. You should only donit to get your form downz or otherwise you'll be ages doing easy stuff that doesn't cause adaptions when you could have been making gains.

The program is a touch dodgy. But is good for the fundamentals. Just make sure you use the antagist movement too to prevent imbalances.
  • Malak74
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    stronglifts IS a sample workout plan. we don't need to put anything additional together for you

Thank you DavPul, well noted :)
  • Malak74
    Options
    Hi everybody,
    Thanks a lot in advance

I started doing SL 5x5 over a month ago and i enjoy it!
    Here's the link that helped me get started http://stronglifts.com/5x5/#How_much_weight_should_I_start_with ..... just scroll down the page a bit and you'll see the workout schedule.
    I started out with a much lower weight than suggested though, but i'm progressing nicely now.
    40 is not old btw! ;)

Amazing!! this is encouraging, thank you for the link it's very helpful my dear
    Good luck :smile:

• Malak74
    Options
    We are in the same boat....I am a 41 year old mum and just started SL 5x5 on Monday. It seems to be short sweet and to the point. Try the 5x5 app. it gives you everything you need for the work out. Good luck!

Many thanks @awilson1974, you guys are so nice I'm getting a lot of help and information, will get the app in my phone and start ASAP
    Good luck to you too :wink:
  • Malak74
    Options

Firstly, Underhand Grip bent over rows are superior to overhand Grip ones, and are a better antagonist to the bench press.

For Deadlift, 5 reps I feel is too much, but there should be more than one set as there's not enough volume, I recommend changing the Deadlift from 1x5 to 5x3.

Another thing is that there is no antagonist to the overhead press, and thus a chin up (Underhand) should be added (same grip width as overhead press).

Also, squats 3x per week with deads only once or twice at such low volume will likely result in lagging hamstrings and glutes which could lead to an injury.

Also, squats and deadlifts in the same session is risky, you will have fatigued erectors leading to a weaker Deadlift and you could cause an injury in your spine.

Benches and Presses work the anterior portion of your deltoid too much, while hardly touching the middle and rear portions, which can lead to all kinds of cracks and pops from your shoulders, along with forward rounding. Isolation exercises should fix that.

There is no isolation for the pecs or back, and thus you could add flies and pullovers

Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    (Flies optional 3x8-12)
    Row 5x5

Deadlift 5x3
    Press 5x5
    Chin Up 5x5

It's a simple program, but can lead to weaknesses and thus injuries from muscle imbalances.

Follow the above program (my version I used to follow after having weak hand and glutes and tonic traps with slightly hunched forward shoulders.

You're welcome

Wow! @ThomasWright1997 you are professional, this is so helpful, I will follow up all your advices :smile:
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you
  • Malak74
    Options
    Also, don't start with just the bar if you can do more, use around 80% of your 5rm, despite what mehdi says. You should only donit to get your form downz or otherwise you'll be ages doing easy stuff that doesn't cause adaptions when you could have been making gains.

The program is a touch dodgy. But is good for the fundamentals. Just make sure you use the antagist movement too to prevent imbalances.

Well noted @ThomasWright1997 many thanks again.
  • Malak74
    Options

Thank you @Jackie0Marie good information.
  • LLScho
    LLScho Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Well noted @ThomasWright1997 many thanks again.

As you are female and if you have never weighlifted before, the bar may be too heavy so you may need to start with dumbells, or lighter fixed weight barbells. Too light is better than too heavy at the beginning to get your form sorted.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    (Flies optional 3x8-12)
    Row 5x5

Deadlift 5x3
    Press 5x5
    Chin Up 5x5

You're welcome

tumblr_inline_n4foafra0C1sew80h.jpg
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I do StrongLifts and highly recommend it -- for some reason it seems to be the only strength program that fits for me.
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for years, but never knew how bad my form was.

I started up in the last year and work out with a professional bodybuilder who showed me perfect form. I use the 5x5 plan and lifting heavier now that I ever did before. Pay close attention to their videos and have a professional review your form early on - very hard to unlearn poor form.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I've been lifting for years, but never knew how bad my form was.

I started up in the last year and work out with a professional bodybuilder who showed me perfect form. I use the 5x5 plan and lifting heavier now that I ever did before. Pay close attention to their videos and have a professional review your form early on - very hard to unlearn poor form.

Excellent point on form. If you can't get professional help record yourself and compare your form to youtube vids or post here for critique.