What was your 'I finally need to lose this weight' moment? (And was it as bad as mine?)

Options

Replies

• TrishV2013
    TrishV2013 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have always struggled with my weight and have done numerous things to my body as well as spend entirely way too much money on products promising a "quick fix." Up until recently, I was ignoring the fact that my clothes were too snug and I just felt disgusting most of the time.

My most recent "get my butt in gear moment" was in early June when I had the opportunity to meet our very handsome Lt. Governor, Gavin Newsom. I had my photo taken with him and when I looked at it all I saw was how fat I looked. I thought I looked good that day but I was mortified. The next day I contacted a personal trainer and haven't looked back. I am 15.8 lbs lighter since June 10! I have a long way to go but the journey has been great so far.
  • pf1975_NW
    pf1975_NW Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I was fat at nearly 17 stone - saw holiday pics and decided needed to do something about it! Best thing I ever did!
  • BlackRoseSin
    BlackRoseSin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My moment was earlier this year, because I finally had energy to care. I've always been like this- but the constant abuse and harassment, along with some bad stuff at home, meant I didn't care. I was in a really dark place for most of my life. In January of this year I finally sought the help I desperately needed- and realized where I was going wrong. April 1 was when I started- and I'm down nearly 70. Still have another 70-100 to go, dependinding on where I feel like stopping. But I've come this far, and that makes me feel better.
  • Amari_17
    Amari_17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think my moment was when I finally realized what I really look like is nothing what I think I look like. By this I mean I tend to not realize how big my stomach and arms are, and I think I only need to lose a little weight, when it reality I need to lose nearly 75lbs to even come close to how I WANT to look like. Sounds confusing I know but it makes sense in my head lol, I go to college from 9am-3:45pm some days and other days until 12 or 1pm. After that I have work at 3 until 11 (4 on the days I have class until 3:45) and after that I feel so run down and tired that I don't even wanna go to the gym I just wanna go home and sleep since I know I have to get up and do it again! Anyone have any advice on how o push myself to go home, change, and head out for a quick work out? All thoughts appreciated!
  • amya72
    amya72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale and I had broken the 300 lb mark (I'm 5'8) and then needed a seat belt extender on a flight. Although the flight attendant was very discreet, I was mortified. And pissed at myself. So here I am....again.
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am a musician and our band has to wear costumes on stage. Well the costume was that of a "pirate girl" which included a wig, corset, and even a skirt with panties underneath. I was so embarrassed, but the show must go on. After that I vowed to get into shape so I wouldn't look so ridiculous when performing. Since then I have lost 25 pounds and my wife has had to take in the waistband on my skirt, but still have a long way to go.
  • ccmason11
    ccmason11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was in a car accident last year and shattered my leg. 4 surgeries later and arthritis in my ankle at 31, I knew it was time. Starting small and my short term goal is 10 lbs. but I'm over 100 lbs overweight.
  • Fivefarthings
    Fivefarthings Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Amari_17 wrote: »
    I think my moment was when I finally realized what I really look like is nothing what I think I look like. By this I mean I tend to not realize how big my stomach and arms are, and I think I only need to lose a little weight, when it reality I need to lose nearly 75lbs to even come close to how I WANT to look like. Sounds confusing I know but it makes sense in my head lol, I go to college from 9am-3:45pm some days and other days until 12 or 1pm. After that I have work at 3 until 11 (4 on the days I have class until 3:45) and after that I feel so run down and tired that I don't even wanna go to the gym I just wanna go home and sleep since I know I have to get up and do it again! Anyone have any advice on how o push myself to go home, change, and head out for a quick work out? All thoughts appreciated!

Can you take your gym bag with you? I try and do this, cause I know as soon as I get home, I won't want to change and go back out to the gym, but if you are able to go straight there and change, it makes making excuses a whole lot harder!
  • Reygne
    Reygne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    more or less sibling rivarly , saw a recent picture of my brother and could notice his weight loss in it, i did not like that, him losing when i wasnt.
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Mine was in February of this year. I was sitting at my desk when I suddenly realized that my pants were so tight they felt like they were going to cut me in half at the stomach. I went home and weighed myself and was almost 10 lbs heavier than I expected; my all-time high at just over 200 lbs. 7 lbs heavier than my highest weight when I was pregnant. I said to myself, enough's enough, I have to do something about this. But what!? I decided that since I sit at a computer 40 hours a week, there was no reason why I couldn't at least track what was eating. I googled for a free calorie tracker and found MFP. I'm down 50 lbs this week and I'm not looking back!
  • amudd645
    amudd645 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My brother died shortly after his 30th bday from a heart attack (he was very much overweight but his heart was weakened due to many years of drugs). This was about two years ago.

I think it's finally hit me that it can happen to me too. I'm about to turn 30 in a few weeks and I do not want to ruin my life because I can't say no to food. I'm very much in love with my life, and I refuse to give up on myself so easily. Thus I am now eating and exercising better than I ever have. And it's becoming easier and easier.

This change will also help make it safe for me to have a baby with my husband too. That's another big reason for me to change my life around.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've been steadily gaining weight since I left my teaching job and now do more sedentary work - at the rate of about 10 pounds a year. The first year, I didn't really notice, because most of my clothes had room. In the second year, none of my "size 8" pants fit anymore, but, no big deal, I could just wear the few 10s I had, and all the "mediums" in my closet still fit. Third year - the 10s absolutely do not fit, and same with a lot of the clothes that are "mediums." I bought myself 2 pairs of size 12 pants, and promised not to buy any more clothes. Well, pretty soon, the 12s got too tight. I absolutely refused to buy any more clothes and I put my foot down.

After a few weeks on MFP, the size 12s are now totally comfortable again. I'm anxious and excited to get back into the 10s - that will mean I have like 5X the amount of clothes I currently have to wear! Not to mention I'll just feel more comfortable in my skin.

• Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Amari_17 wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice on how o push myself to go home, change, and head out for a quick work out? All thoughts appreciated!

I can't go home. If I do that I'm sitting in front of the TV - and I'm not going out again. So I joined a gym close to work. I go straight from my desk to the gym. The folks I work with are used to me turning up with my hideously bright orange gym bag and hiding it under my desk all day now.

I get my workout done - then I go home and flop in front of the TV!
  • runawayescape
    runawayescape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your stories everyone
  • halsandmr
    halsandmr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mythril wrote: »
    My moment was when I saw a picture of myself in an outfit that at the time I felt looked good on me. And people were complimenting me. When I saw the picture though, I have this massive stomach hanging down, and you can see that huge bulge in my pants and my shirt didn't cover it. And I just.

I actually didn't start right away. I struggled a little in life. But the first of this year I started and I'm down 40 lbs and I'm chugging along. My hanging belly has shrunk some, and can be successfully hidden under my shirt. Though I'm still 300 lbs at 5'5" so I have a long way to go.

Good for you! 40 pounds is amazing! It takes a lot to build a new lifestyle. It's all of our little daily choices that get us where we are, good or bad.
  • halsandmr
    halsandmr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I keep having my moments, but I can't follow through!

I love photography, but hate to be in front of the camera. I used to be fifty pounds lighter and if I had something I felt to be unflattering, then I could move my body in such a way to mask or hide it. Fifty pounds later, I can't do that. The weight is all over and can't be hidden.

I am about to move up into plus-size if I haven't already. Depends on the store.

My butt is wider than the chairs at Cracker Barrel.

My family has history of diabetes and a family member just had to get a leg amputation as a result.

I am terrified of meeting people in real life romantically, because surely all the men I find attractive will only be attracted to "tight" women.

I have acne on my face that is scarring my skin and this got worse as I aged and gained in weight, so it's probably my diet written all over my face.

I am always the DUFF in my group of friends. Or at least that's how it seems to come off.

And so many more....

I hope this changes for you. Do you want to be MFP buddies and make sure each other works out and eats right? I could use a partner because I'm not good about this, either. ☺
  • Allison1385
    Allison1385 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    March 18, 2015. The day after my moms 60th birthday...which I knew there was no way I was going to not over indulge that day!... I will be turning 30 in November, so I thought if I want to get back down to my goal weight, the weight I was before marriage and children...what I weighed in highschool, I had better get my butt in gear now! I started in March at 214.. and am at 189 right now. Mind you, in January 2014 I was up to 224 lbs. So this has been a on going issue since I had my two children. I am ready to see what my 30's have in store for me, because I will be entering them fit and confident!!☆☆☆
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Getting ready to go out and realising I don't look good in anything and end up not going out. I don't wanna miss out on life and not hang out with my friends because I don't feel attractive enough to leave the house
  • AshleyCMoody
    AshleyCMoody Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When I couldn't fit into any of my jeans and had to wear stretch pants all the time.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've had many but the last one..I got on the scale and realized I gained 17 pounds in 6 months.