Exercise doesn't help you lose weight...say what?

Got into a discussion with some friends the other day regarding diet and exercise and losing weight, etc. One of my friends said that exercise does not help you lose weight, it's 100% diet. I disagreed and said that whether you take in less calories (diet) or burn more calories (exercise), if you're in a deficit you'll lose weight, therefore exercise does in fact help you lose weight. She disagreed with me still.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    If you have a sufficient deficit you'll lose weight. But it's easier to measure what's going in than what you are burning, so I'd have to say it's in the food! I logged exercising this morning and it wanted to give me 700 calories for 45 minutes worth of work on the "circuit training, general" entry. On the "Curves, circuit training" entry, it gave me 450. That's WAY more likely, even though the first would be the more correct phrase.
    Now if I go have a whopper meal, I'll be over my deficit for the day, even though I technically could have "logged" those calories. But I can safely have a small ice cream bar, and be totally in the green.
    Previously, I was doing 5 day a week boot camp. But not paying attention to anything I was eating. I was getting smaller and tighter, but no weight loss. Since I was likely over eating, it may have been some muscle gain, but truthfully, I was just eating more than a workout could burn.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I imagine it can be 100% diet but not 100% exercise.

Say your maintaining your weight and start walking 50 mins a day, would you not lose weight with no change to your diet.

Depending on your fitness that's could be 250-500 calories burned.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    I think the argument is more about the wording.

Overall deficit matters, not how you get there.

This
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Its the deficit that matters and thats made up from eating less than your body needs to maintain. It can be 100% diet as above, but you can make that deficit larger by burning calories. It takes a lot of exercise to burn calories, so in the first instance its easier to reduce consumption, but its still possible to burn 250+ calories a day, which you can eat or leave to increase the deficit. That can be significant.

Its only 100% diet if you do no exercise.
    That % can change depending how much exercise you do.

Unless you have soemthing to compare with then a % such as 80% is just notional. It cna be more concrete if its expressed as a % of the deficit.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    I agree with what everyone has said here so far. My argument to her was then, if I ate 500 calories less per day, or I exercised 1-2 hours more a day and burned 500 calories more a day while eating the same calories as before, I would lose weight in the same fashion. My body does not know if I ate less calories or if I burned more calories to get the same net result. That was essentially my point.

To me if you're looking to get fit and in shape, you should diet and exercise together. But technically speaking you can lose lots of weight just by adjusting your diet and lowering your calorie intake without adding any exercise into your day. It just seemed to be an odd statement to me that "exercise does not make you lose weight". It's more of a matter of wording I suppose.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Your friend is correct.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    I agree with what everyone has said here so far. My argument to her was then, if I ate 500 calories less per day, or I exercised 1-2 hours more a day and burned 500 calories more a day while eating the same calories as before, I would lose weight in the same fashion. My body does not know if I ate less calories or if I burned more calories to get the same net result. That was essentially my point.

To me if you're looking to get fit and in shape, you should diet and exercise together. But technically speaking you can lose lots of weight just by adjusting your diet and lowering your calorie intake without adding any exercise into your day. It just seemed to be an odd statement to me that "exercise does not make you lose weight". It's more of a matter of wording I suppose.

True, as long as you were in a deficit.