"exercise" for 250+ lbs people (100+ to lose)

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Don't give up:)
    That's the single best advice.

You do whatever helps you lose. When the fears come up, quash that chit. No worries about what some loser might think about you, no fears about what if you fail. You just go out and do your thing.

Never give up.
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Started at 231 and Ido the curves circuit and free weights. I have lost 30 pounds so far but there other exercises I would like to try when I get a bit smaller, like running or a boot camp.
  • bkate24
    bkate24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the weight range you're asking but I'm very unfit (no muscle, no cardio endurance, no flexibility at all) and I used Jillian Michaels' "Beginner Shred" Workout 1 video (you can buy for 3.99 on Amazon to watch on your computer) and it was the ONLY workout I've ever tried that didn't make me feel like I was dying. I agree with others that squats are maybe too intense - they are too intense for me because I have no musculature. I liked the video I mentioned because the instructor is very encouraging and all the exercises are designed to not put you at risk of straining anything (e.g. you don't do jumping jacks, you do 'step out jacks'). The whole workout is only 27 mins long. She even says in the video that it's good for people who are overweight or haven't exercised for a long time.

I'm not affiliated with this company or anything, but I recommend it as something relatively easy to do at home that still left me feeling sore in a good way the next day. : ) I think you need weights for the video but I second the people who said that hand weights are a good investment. You can buy 2 3lb weights at target and it's very affordable.

Also, as people have said, finding something that you enjoy is key (whatever that is!). I take a walk around a bike path in my local nature sanctuary because I enjoy looking at nature. I also find that I like using hand weights because I feel ~*powerful*~ when I use them even though in reality they're not that heavy XD
  • acorneredbaby
    acorneredbaby Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm hovering around 300 right now (and dropping steadily) and I can, will, and actually do everything a normal person generally does. Walking, swimming, Wii Fit, jogging, free-step (so much fun actually), Zumba, aerobics in general, treadmill, stationary bike, cardio. No matter how you spin it, I can do it all and I do, I just like to mix it up.
  • megbugs
    megbugs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP and working out and am 250 pounds. I do go to the gym and take Body Pump, Step, this class called Functional Strength, and also walk 5 minutes/run 1 minute on the treadmill. I have a fitbit and have hit my 10,000 steps every day since I started 10 days ago. I am also being a nut about my diet and weigh/measure everything. I'm definitely the largest and most out of shape in all of the classes I've taken, but I enjoy the classes because I work out harder there then I would on my own. I think you need to find what you like to do in your budget and just keep at it. That's the hardest part - not getting discouraged and not quitting. There's a lot of great advice on this thread. YouTube and OnDemand has great workouts you can do at home, and walking/biking are great activities to do outside (although it's been SO HOT here in VA). Good luck to you and I do hope you find a routine that works for you! In 10 days I've lost 4.4 lbs. and have another weigh in on Saturday.
  • HuskyHiker413
    HuskyHiker413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started at 315 and use the elliptical, if you can move fast up the resistance to get you working. Also weight training is key. Look for a beginner weight lifting routine that works for you. I'm about 250 now and have started to do the couch to 5k program.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    thegreatmd wrote: »
    So clearly, at 290 I can not, and probably shouldn't even attempt, many of the "recommended workouts.". Yes, there's walking... And I've gotten on the bicycle (it's so fun to have people call you a fatass as they drive by), but what are y'all doing? I'm looking for some variety... Thanks!

I was 311 when I started and could not walk up the stairs without stopping. My first exercise was a water aerobics class. I did that 3 times a week for a couple of months before I was able to walk a block without back pain. I kept up the class and kept increasing my distance. 9 months later, I was able to add a few laps of swimming in addition to the class and the walking. Now (19 months later) I am 115 lb less and I am able to average 15,000 steps a day, swim 1.25 miles 3 x a week, and I still do the water aerobics 3 x a week.

Water is the heavy person's godsend. Whether you do aerobics, swim, water jog, or just walk back and forth it can give you a good workout while minimizing some of the issues with joints, etc. common among the heavier people.

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    So clearly, at 290 I can not, and probably shouldn't even attempt, many of the "recommended workouts.". Yes, there's walking... And I've gotten on the bicycle (it's so fun to have people call you a fatass as they drive by), but what are y'all doing? I'm looking for some variety... Thanks!

I was 311 when I started and could not walk up the stairs without stopping. My first exercise was a water aerobics class. I did that 3 times a week for a couple of months before I was able to walk a block without back pain. I kept up the class and kept increasing my distance. 9 months later, I was able to add a few laps of swimming in addition to the class and the walking. Now (19 months later) I am 115 lb less and I am able to average 15,000 steps a day, swim 1.25 miles 3 x a week, and I still do the water aerobics 3 x a week.

Water is the heavy person's godsend. Whether you do aerobics, swim, water jog, or just walk back and forth it can give you a good workout while minimizing some of the issues with joints, etc. common among the heavier people.

Do you find it any harder to swim now because of less buoyancy? At 300+ pounds I could swim like nobody's business....Now it doesn't matter how much effort I put in...I sink like a rock.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Do you find it any harder to swim now because of less buoyancy? At 300+ pounds I could swim like nobody's business....Now it doesn't matter how much effort I put in...I sink like a rock.

Nope. My muscles are stronger so it is easier to swim.

• retropactum
    retropactum Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    At 245 lbs, I walk, swim, pilates, dance (including barre, burlesque, & pole), etc.

Start off slow and listen to your body, but your weight doesn't have to hold you back. Just find something you like and do it! :)
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The mainstay for me is still walking. I've lost 95 pounds (87 on MFP, 8 before that). Still have 13 to go. I walk city and suburban streets. I walk an indoor track. I walk nature trails. If the weather is too hot or too cold, I will do Leslie Sansone workouts or sometimes I shut my office door and dance for 1/2 hour. Most of my walks are at least 1/2 hour between 3-4 mph, but I couldn't do that at first. I started at 10 minutes at about 2 mph. I do stretching most days (15 minutes) and I also use a stationary bike at the gym most days (also 30 minutes). Occasionally, I now, when available, use the rowing machine (15-30 minutes). I do a light strength training too with dumbbells twice a week.

I also take at least 2 Tai Chi classes a week and practice on my own. Once you learn it, it is a good workout. Also, it is great for stress relief and helping eliminate that nasty cortisol!

I think a lot of people think that they can workout 30 minutes (which is great), but then they can sit the rest of the day on the computer, watching TV, playing video games, or sleeping. It doesn't work like that. You need to move around, too. Look for reasons to just get up and down.

The more you do and the more you lose, the more you will want to. I find myself not wanting to stop anymore. I can walk forever now.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ways I get variety while walking:

1. Different locations.
    2. Different playlists on my MP3 player.
    3. I walk on trails in the woods and maintain them. Sometimes I pick up stuff from the ground and toss it off the trail, sometimes I bring my little clippers, and sometimes I bring my big clippers.

I agree with this. Playlists keep you motivated. I have different playlists for different speeds and different exercises.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My max weight was 242; since you are larger than I have been some of my suggestions may or may not work for you.

When you are large, it is really important to read about, understand, and use target heart rate. You are effectively working out with weights every time you move, so it is little wonder that some things that work for skinny folk don't work well for you, since you have built-in 15 lb ankle-weights or some-such. The usual canned estimates for how strenuous something is are not going to work for you. The heart-rate method is self-adjusting to how your body is performing *today*, so it's a really reliable way to get the most benefit from your efforts. You can measure your heart rate by taking your pulse at the neck for 6 seconds and multiplying by 10, or 10 seconds and multiplying by 6. If you can afford a heart-rate monitor, they're really convenient. Brand isn't that important unless you swim, in which case Polar brand is best--waterproof and can give you heart rate while swimming.

Swimming is good. But also, consider the "old lady pool classes" where people do zumba-like activity in the pool. This will give your muscles a chance to work out with less joint stress. You'll need some kind of water shoes though or you'll wear the skin off your toes--the water makes your skin soft and vulnerable and pool bottoms can be like sandpaper.

Biking may not be the best choice; the seats are uncomfortable at high weight, and most bike frames are designed with an engineering assumption of a 200 lb or less rider (I learned by studying materials engineering as a grad student). You can get hidden bike-frame damage that over time can lead to catastrophic failure. I have seen the frame of a bike break at the welds between the handle-bar tube and the rest of the frame, resulting in a serious wipe-out (the case I saw was due to years of hard use by a triathlete though, not weight). If you continue biking at this weight be aware of the possibility of equipment failure and 'pre-flight' inspect your bike frequently. As an alternative you could try stationary bikes at a gym, using target heart rate as your guide. I've heard spin classes can be catty so they might not be good things to attend yet.

BTW anyone who mocks you for trying to improve your health on a bike has got a serious personality defect. It's them, not you.

Yoga is good. Some poses you can't do yet because fat is in the way (I find this to be true even at my current weight of ~220 lbs), but you'll benefit from all the others. There is absolutely no stigma in a yoga class when anyone sits out a particular move or substitutes something else for things they can't do yet; you may find yoga classes to be the most psychologically supportive environment out of any activity in your health effort.

To reduce joint strain, try for lower weights (you already have some built-in) and more repetitions when you do weight training.

If something hurts your joints, stop doing it. Try again when you've lost more weight--say, every 10 or 15 lbs re-try it to see if you can do it yet.

You are at higher risk of injury, and getting an injury will do more to slow you down than going slow in the first place. Resist impatience!

And yes, the YMCA's usually have "scholarships" for low-income people! The Y will give you access to weights, stationary bikes, yoga and other group classes, some have a pool and water aerobics, free orientation to how to use the weight machines, and sometimes personal trainers (which may or may not have a discounted rate for scholarship members, depending on the specific YMCA you belong to.)

I'm not working either and my YMCA discounted membership is about $33/mo. It includes all of the above but no discounts on personal trainers.
  • jmd543
    jmd543 Posts: 174 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I sound like I work for the company, which I don't, but I love my desk cycle, which I park in front of the TV. I used a gift I'd been saving...maybe a jolly elf could help out with some equipment? And, I use inexpensive resistance paddles in the pool because they store more easily than the foam ones. I agree, check at the Y or maybe get day passes at your town rec center (about $3 where I live). Also, both places have water tools for free. I also just found a kettlebell in my recommended, beginner weight that was $10 cheaper than the other weights. Surf your favorite site; I know Amazon often has weirdly fluctuating prices (you can try something like camelcamelcamel to track them). With it, I bought a $7 video how-to. So, there are some budget-friendly options for us...all cheaper than medical care :)
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    PS: Proper retort: "better a fatass than an *sshole!"

PPS: Some junior colleges offer gym classes that may help you. Depending on where you are and any financial aid available at the Jr. College, this may prove to be your least expensive and best equipped option. Check into whatever is near you.
  • wrrly
    wrrly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am hardly a workout queen (or expert) so this is all based on anecdotal experience. Many people here are giving wonderful advice, glean from them. If anyone needs a buddy, friend me and we'll motivate each other.

Down from 310, I'm currently 275 and have literally started doing the C25K program on my treadmill. But to get to this point I started very slowly. Seriously, my first workout was 15 minutes and an easy speed. Once I felt comfortable, I increased my duration by 10 minutes and upped my speed. Whatever exercise you chose, start easy and build on it. Don't expect to run marathons right away.

Also, I have a knee that I'm watching for possible trouble (this is why I walk/jog on a treadmill). For strengthening, I seek out low-impact version of squats, jumping jacks, etc. Teh interwebs is full of such guides and goodies.

Listen to your body, rest when you need it. Check your heart rate and stay within your target zone. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/Target-Heart-Rates_UCM_434341_Article.jsp

And have fun! It's amazing the amount of energy I have now from the combination of what I've lost and the increase in exercise. Create a routine that is realistic. My mornings on the treadmill are spent catching up on Big Brother or similar reality silliness. Do this for yourself, you're worth it!
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options

Nope. My muscles are stronger so it is easier to swim.

haha....bizarre. Maybe it's just me. It's hard to see my arm muscles under the skin curtains, but I've got guns under the drapery. And my leg muscles are ginormous from running. Last summer I thought "gosh, it's hot out" and I had finally found a bathing suit that sort of worked (harder to find one that doesn't look gross on me now than when I was big...go figure)....so into the river I dove. Try as I might to stay afloat, using all the strokes in my repertoire, I headed straight for the bottom and had to literally walk myself out. Good thing I still had my 2 minute breath holding ability and my tendency not to panic. lol
  • sidricks
    sidricks Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I walked. As fast as I could. But only around my block in case I passed out or something lol. So I would put pennies in my right pocket and every time I passed my house I would move one penny to my left pocket. I would count the pennies when I was done to see how many times around the block I went. I'm sure there is a more high tech way to do it but hey it was 2006 lol
  • thegreatmd
    thegreatmd Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This thread has been so much more helpful than I imagined!! I've got ideas overload! Ha-ha!!
    sidricks wrote: »
    I walked. As fast as I could. But only around my block in case I passed out or something lol. So I would put pennies in my right pocket and every time I passed my house I would move one penny to my left pocket. I would count the pennies when I was done to see how many times around the block I went. I'm sure there is a more high tech way to do it but hey it was 2006 lol

What a good idea!!

• thegreatmd
    thegreatmd Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Damn... Never thought about a weight limit for my bicycle... Thanks for the heads up
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options