Are you honest about how much you currently weigh / did way weigh with your partner?

Options

Replies

• _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have lost weight together, so he knows. I weigh myself first thing in the morning and if I lost I usually text him at work about it. He probably gets annoyed by it, actually. Maybe I should adopt a bit of your method and keep it to myself, haha. Way to go on the weight loss, btw!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nope, never. As in, I've never said "I weigh x". However, he knows how much weight I've lost, and once I told him how much % smaller the MFP app says I am, and then right after I did, it hit me that he could easily do the math and figure out my starting weight from that % number and from knowing the amount of weight I lost.

Of course, he could also easily just go into the MFP app or website and find out if he's nosy. I'm always logged in. He could also snoop at Fitbit.

I've lost over 100 lbs, and I think what has concerned me more than anything is him thinking I was much heavier than I was at my starting weight. My starting weight was a big number, but I don't like the idea of any presumption that it was even bigger than it actually was. Still, I'm not concerned enough to bring it up, and he doesn't and hasn't asked, so... yeah. I'm not sure what I would do if he did. I'd like to think I'd be open, but given that I never have been open about it with him I really don't know.

ETA: He also knows my BMI and height, so yeah, he could also mosey over to a bmi chart and put 2+2 together as well.
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    My husband and I train together and weigh in on the same day, at first it was hard knowing the fact there was a 10kg difference between us (him heavier) where now there is more of a cap and he can see how much hard work I am putting in to get the results I want.
  • RegainFiks
    RegainFiks Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't know I am just too embarrassed of the number, I will tell him once I have lost the weight.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    My husband knew at my highest and he knows now - I'm 70kg lighter than I started and maintaining. The further I got from my start weight the less I minded other people knowing where I started . I'm pretty open about my weight these days.
  • lovabee
    lovabee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have always been open about how much I weigh. I used to be 200 lbs, now I'm around 150lbs and I never had problems with telling people how much I weigh even when I was at my highest. It's basically just putting a number to what they can already see...
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, I refused to tell my partner what my weight was until it was the same as his weight. It now is, so he now knows what I weigh and how much I lost (and how much more to go!). Seems trivial now but I remember just feeling too ashamed to admit it in the beginning.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have a story to tell. When I was overweight I put up the exact amount I weighed in mfp when I started (though I’d lost 7lb prior to joining) and I religiously put in my weight every week; up or down. I have now reached my weight goal and I don’t record my weight every week unless I put on a lot – to me “a lot” is a gain of 4 – 5lb then I work it back to the weight I want to be (175lb). But I don’t tell my wife. At first she was supportive then she started saying I’d lost too much. She admits that most of this is through jealousy that I lost so much weight – 45lb, so if I go less than 175lb – and I do sometimes – and she asks if I’ve lost more I say “no”. Fact is I’ll put it back on again so it only temporary anyway.

Bottom line: I still weigh myself every week and log my food but for the sake of not going through the “you’ve lost too much weight” over a couple of pounds I tend to keep my weight to myself and MFP.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It's never really bothered me, but then he's far heavier than I am - he hasn't a clue what he weighs, but it's a good 20-25kg more than I do, so it wouldn't even occur to me to be bothered by my own weight. We're both obese. Maybe if he were slimmer it could bother me, I guess, but I can't imagine keeping it a secret.
    That said he's never asked, and likely never will. It just isn't something we talk about.
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    sls450 wrote: »
    your weight is only your relationship with gravity

WORD! Hahahaha!

Both my boyfriend and I started our weight loss journey together so we each took each others measurements and weights and everything. It was very embarrassing for me as he's a big muscly guy with just a bit of podge on him while I'm a big fatty with little to no muscle on me, but he's been so supportive! And I can't tell you how much relief it gives me that he accepts all of me no matter how big I am.

We've been at it 3months and he's lost 10kg and is only 6kg away from his goal weight of 110kg and here I am. Lost 5.6lbs and still 100+ to lose. I joke with him that he's not allowed to weight less than me (I'm 110kg). I'm glad that's his goal weight. Sometimes I moan about the fact that he's dropping the kgs like it's nothing while I struggle to drop even one, but he's been active all his life and his metabolism is all revved up, while I've been sedentary all my life and has just started getting a wee bit active.

My point is, it was very hard for me to agree to let him do my measurements, but the relief that came after he knew was immeasurable. I had nothing left to hide, not even my red face. Hahahaha!
  • Peaceandwater
    Peaceandwater Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had to declare my weight in front of my guy when we got fishing licenses (apparently they need to know how much you weigh to let you go fishing). I quickly subtracted 15 pounds from the real number, which is the weight I "look". Well, at least I think I look 15 pounds lighter than I am... ;-)
  • opalle
    opalle Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Nope, never told him my weight, not even when I was at a healthy weight and was 20 lbs lighter. I think I'd rather eat a bucket of nails than let him know my weight at my heaviest. I have another 15 lbs to go before I'm lighter than him again. Maybe then, if he asked, I might tell him what I weigh.
  • melissakunimitsu9232
    melissakunimitsu9232 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My husband knew at my highest and he knows now - I'm 70kg lighter than I started and maintaining. The further I got from my start weight the less I minded other people knowing where I started . I'm pretty open about my weight these days.

Well done on losing 70kgs then maintains the loss. It's where I'm hoping to be in however long it takes. I'm looking to loose it slowly by lifestyle changes I can keep up. I guess once I've lost enough to not feel threatened by the end goal I'll more than likely fess up.
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My BF is my workout partner. We know daily what each other weigh, we confess when we eat bad, we gym together and help each other out with spots, we cook and change our diet together. Wouldnt have it any other way! Nothing to be ashamed of :) he does however poke at me some times when one of "my fat" photos show up some where but its not him being mean we both do it to each other!
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My BF knows when I lose (we celebrate) and when I gain (he reminds me to keep things in perspective) and when I'm stuck in a plateau, like I am right now. He's very supportive of my healthy life style changes, and while he doesn't run with me, he's very into our nice long weekly walks. It's personal preference whether you tell him. My BF probably knows more than he wants to :smile:
  • melissakunimitsu9232
    melissakunimitsu9232 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had to declare my weight in front of my guy when we got fishing licenses (apparently they need to know how much you weigh to let you go fishing). I quickly subtracted 15 pounds from the real number, which is the weight I "look". Well, at least I think I look 15 pounds lighter than I am... ;-)
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I are both honest about our weight whenever the subject comes up. It's just a number.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I'm not dishonest, but I don't bring it up. That's not my style. Why would he need to know how much I weigh? He's lean, but I have no idea how much HE weighs. It's a number that isn't remotely relevant: he's a foot taller than me. Me telling him how much I weigh would probably go over his head...I mean unless he really wants to google BMI ranges for my height, but I'm pretty sure he has better things to do!

I will say that I've lost weight slowly over a long period of time, so I didn't think he noticed (since he obviously sees me every day), whereas people who see me less frequently have commented. So I did tell him once that I was happy I had lost X lbs, and he congratulated me, and then we moved the F on with our lives.

He is my partner, but that doesn't mean we need to be completely up each others' *kitten* all the time. I never had a heart to heart with him, never said "sweety, I'm on MFP and counting my calories and I need your support." Nope. I bought a food scale and started using it. I'm sure he's seen me do it. I'm not hiding it. But I don't exclaim "honey, I'm using a food processor right now! Let's talk about it!" and I view the food scale exactly the same: just another kitchen tool that he has no idea how to use and doesn't care. ONCE he saw me fidgetting with items in the freezer and asked what I was doing. I explained I was trying to get to the barcode on a big frozen pizza box because I have this app that will scan it to keep track of what I eat. He said "that sounds horrible" and then promptly helped me with that box. I didn't mind the sarcasm. When I need to do something, I just do it.

He has always supported my workouts...we take turns with the kids in the early morning so the other one can workout. That's been going on way before I started losing weight. Again, we don't find the need to have a heart to heart about it. If I want to spend an hour running on a Sunday, he's cool with watching the kids. I don't tell him how many miles I ran. He doesn't share that info with me. It's not a secret, it just isn't relevant and neither of us cares that much about the other's workouts. Just like I don't want to know what he does in the bathroom, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

Sorry for the long diatribe here!
  • SavannahStClair
    SavannahStClair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm honest with my hubby about my weight but he really does not care at all. I imagine he likely doesn't remember the conversations about the number of how much I weigh or have lost... He has always thought that I looked fine, so I think as long as my weight didn't get to a point where I was really unhealthy that everything would have continued to be just fine. However, I respect anyone's decision to not tell their partner the exact number because I know that if I had started larger that I might not have been so forthcoming. It can be difficult to disclose, but at least you're doing something about it.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I don't remember if my ex-husband and I talked about it, but he certainly knew how much I weighed. And we've talked about our respective weights since getting divorced.

I was oblique with my boyfriend for a while; he's known me since before I started losing weight, but he's not very good at gauging how much one weighs. We'd been dating for a while before he knew how much weight I'd lost, and now I'm pretty open about my weight, my calorie goals, and what I accomplish because being open helps me also feel accountable.