OMG protien

Options
I never thought it would be so hard to get my protein... For me to loose weight they say I need around 130-140g of protein a day!!! And holy moly it's hard!!! I really love miss fit delight protein shake for its taste and thickness to make me feel full but the down side is it's only 16g of protein I have another protein shake at home and it's 24g BUT it don't get thick.. what's your little tricks to get in your protein without going over you calorie intake

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It doesn't have to be that hard to lose weight. All you need for that, is a calorie deficit! Getting enough protein is good for your health, and it helps make you feel full - but you don't need very large amounts. Around 1 gram per kilo bodyweight at a normal BMI is enough if you aren't a bodybuilder. You don't even need protein shakes! If you eat a varied diet including vegetables, grains, eggs, nuts, dairy and meat, it's easy to hit your protein needs without exceeding your calorie goal.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    jesustosha wrote: »
    I never thought it would be so hard to get my protein... For me to loose weight they say I need around 130-140g of protein a day!!! And holy moly it's hard!!! I really love miss fit delight protein shake for its taste and thickness to make me feel full but the down side is it's only 16g of protein I have another protein shake at home and it's 24g BUT it don't get thick.. what's your little tricks to get in your protein without going over you calorie intake

What's your stats? That amount of protein sounds high
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You can have at my diary. Today was a lower day for me, but I often get between 130-160, and can do it in my first 1300 calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

+1 -- you probably don't need that much. (To lose weight it doesn't really matter, but most seem to benefit from increasing protein some, as it often makes you feel more satisfied. There are exceptions.)

However, to retain muscle mass you should aim for at least .8 g/lb of lean body mass, but few women would have so much lean body mass so as to make that number 130-140.

Since you have lots to lose I think one good way to estimate is .6-.8 g/lb of your goal weight. I'd err on the higher side maybe, since you have more LBM now than you will at goal, but that's still not more than .8 g/lb of goal weight, and even that's likely higher than necessary.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    ... what's your little tricks to get in your protein without going over you calorie intake

I eat fish and lean meat. It's really pretty simple for omnivores.

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If you eat the SAD (standard american diet), you probably don't need to increase your protein. USDA guidelines are 0.8g/kg for the average person. Studies say up to 2g/kg for optimal muscle building (for weight lifters trying to build muscle). If you are working on loosing weight you can target the lower number and you do not need to target the higher number. The two biggest influences on how much protein you need is lean body mass and if you are trying to build muscle. So, somewhere between 0.8g/kg of target weight and current weight is a good goal.

There are some benefits to increasing protein above 0.8g/kg (it can help you feel fuller, it can help with muscle recovery after hard exercise), but you don't have to consume that much if you don't want to.
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Im counting my macros my protein is that high because i am also working out! To get my protein in i use eggs, egg whites, chicken breast and protein powder! Egg whites and chicken breast help a lot though!
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    just stay within your calories and I wouldnt worry about trying to get that much protein in. dont make it harder than it should be or you wont want to do it for very long.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    It can be difficult for someone who gags at yogurt or cottage cheese, but there are lots of other good sources like the ones listed above. I consider it a *great* protein day if I get in 70g. I don't eat meat. But it really shouldn't stress you out too much...
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary. I eat about the same protein as you every day. Look at the last two weeks, I've changed up some food options so you can get some good ideas.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ahhh eating protein doesn't make you lose weight. The importance of eating protein while in a deficit is to help maintain muscle mass.
    Greek yogurt, cheese, eggs, meat, milk, beans, lentils, more meat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    130-140 every day sounds like an insane amount to me. Everyone is different, but I have plenty of muscle and don't eat anywhere near that on a regular basis.
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I look at something like IIFYM, it tells me I should be eating 108 grams of protein a day, which is quite hard unless I am drinking multiple protein shakes and bars per day. Realistically I can get about 80-90 grams in on an average day.
  • ToshaG86
    ToshaG86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

I'm 29ys old mother of 2. I'm 5' 6" 250lbs :( 40BMI .. so when I eat it's always rushed lol
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some people who do a lot of weight lifting seem to like to eat loads of protein. I think they think it will make their muscles bigger.

They tend to advise more protein than people really need. If you don't take in your 130g, it's cool. You don't need it, anyway. :)
  • ToshaG86
    Options
    I was told to double my protein amount to help keep me full longer and to help maintain muscle or build muscle. Then something about muscle will burn more fat?? I really want to do bodybuilding competitions later AFTER I loose all this nasty fat.. I'm so far away from achieving that but one step closer than I was yesterday..
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to concentrate on your calorie goal, eating a wide variety of foods that you enjoy. Exercise to feel good and promote fitness, but not necessary. Don't stress about the protein!
  • ToshaG86
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    My advice would be to concentrate on your calorie goal, eating a wide variety of foods that you enjoy. Exercise to feel good and promote fitness, but not necessary. Don't stress about the protein!

Thanks I won't stress about the protein no more.. The one thing I think I need to really work on is kicking the soda habit..
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I was told to double my protein amount to help keep me full longer and to help maintain muscle or build muscle. Then something about muscle will burn more fat?? I really want to do bodybuilding competitions later AFTER I loose all this nasty fat.. I'm so far away from achieving that but one step closer than I was yesterday..

Just keep at it. To put it in perspective I am 5'7" and I aim for between 90-115g protein/day. I determined this number based on lean body mass. It may be different because of your overall weight-but the amount you are aiming for seems like more than you need. It can't hurt-but if you're struggling don't worry about it.

Calories are King. Get used to eating within your calorie goal. THEN start to worry more about your macronutrient requirements. Yes, adequate protein is important, but only CICO will make you lose weight. Don't give yourself more to worry about than absolutely necessary.

Also, are you getting exercise? Lifting weights or something similar? This will be the greatest determining factor in body composition as you lose weight.

TL/DR: calories first, macros later, start working out.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I would worry more about the general calorie deficit. once you get the hang of that you can try to fine tune your macros. but it isn't necessary

I eat protein so I feel full longer. that and fiber. I eat cheese, yogurt, custard, meat, egg, beans, and kasha golean cinnamon cereal. I think I average about 60g a day. some days are very low and other days are much higher