30 lbs by September?

Options
Started dieting in April of this yr, starting weight was 275. Lost about 20lbs...FINALLY started working out in June, & now I'm down to 230. I am a stay at home mom with children & long workouts are hard to squeeze in. I typically do a 12 min mile on elliptical followed by a specific target area w light weights to get rid of fat. 2 days a wk, I do a 2 mile weight loss program on the elliptical followed by light weights again. I avg 4-5 work outs/wk. Will this get me to my goal of under 200 by Sep? Help!

Replies

• lorim68
    lorim68 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've seen enough goal posts to predict that people will be ready to hop out of the woodwork to tell you not to make such goals. Slow and steady and all that (2 pounds a week max). . . One thing though that I would suggest is to make goals of things you can control like "I am going to track meals every day" or "I will work out half an hour every day" or goals with your weightlifting instead of things you can't (like the scale). Even if you do things perfectly, which none of us does, your scale is unpredictable. Another suggestion is to take lots of measurements. You can be getting thinner and fitter, and your scale might not move in the right direction. Best of luck to you! Sounds like you're doing great!!
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    45 pounds in 4 months = ~2.64 pounds per week net loss, which means closer to 3.0 with LBM gain. Your goal is a net loss of 30 pounds in one month, or nearly a pound every day.

I'm not going to say it's impossible to do it, but to do it responsibly would be impossible. I'm sure someone will come up with scenarios where you could make it work, but I like keeping my hair and fingernails, and pale ashen grey skin is not a good look for me. You're doing great. Keep it up, and focus on continual, sustained loss instead of arbitrary timelines.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    No
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Since the MFP method requires you to eat back your exercise calories, it does not matter how much you work out. All that matters is that you eat properly.
    Since you are not supposed to eat under net 1200 calories, which should lead to a 2lbs loss a week max, I don't think you will hit your goal by that time.
    Eating any less than 1200 calories net can lead to malnourishment...

Be safe, think about your health.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I did it and am cut as hell right now would I recommend it hell yes but learn from it!! I know how many calories I can eat, what gives me energy and how to maintain my weight.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    People with unrealistic goals have a tendency to give up. Stick to 2lbs per week max keep up the excersises but get you calorie count correct. It will take you a few weeks to get everything balanced out, so don't look for results right away but you will be healthier and happier in the end.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Of which year?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Of which year?

sorry, but this made me laugh.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    I did it and am cut as hell right now would I recommend it hell yes but learn from it!! I know how many calories I can eat, what gives me energy and how to maintain my weight.

what did you learn from it? would you do anything different.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    No, you probably can't, but I really wanted to point out that "followed by a specific target area w light weights to get rid of fat" might be as ridiculous as trying to lose thirty pounds in a month.

Targeted fat burning via light weights isn't a real thing.
  • Therealobi1
    edited July 2015
    Options
    People with unrealistic goals have a tendency to give up. Stick to 2lbs per week max keep up the excersises but get you calorie count correct. It will take you a few weeks to get everything balanced out, so don't look for results right away but you will be healthier and happier in the end.

but even if op sticks to 2 pounds per week there are no guarantees. one week you can lose, one week you might not. I remember having it all planned out, if i carry on losing 1 pound per week, i will be here on this date. it didnt work out like that. As soon as i realised thats just the way it is I relaxed but kept on going.

Dont set yourself up with strict targets like that. Do your best and see how you get on come September.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Of which year?

Time machine.

Acsolutely zero chance OP. To lose 1lb a day you need to create 3500 calorie deficit. You might create 500 by eating less. 3000 calories from exercise would take you c8hrs every day without rest days. Be realusticc then you wont frustraint and disappoint yourself. 4-8lbs is more reasonable.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You want to lose 30 pounds in a month? That seems unrealistic to me, even if you have a lot to lose. Also, light weights targeted to a specific area will not help you lose fat in that specific area. Find a good, whole body program to do. Even one where you hit different areas on different days is fine, but not just to try to make that area smaller. I'd also ditch the light weights and focus on either body weight exercises that progress in degrees of difficulty or lower reps (under 10) with a heavier weight. You might also look at things by Jen Sinkler or Neghar Fonooni. They tend to use circuits so you get the benefits of weight with some cardio thrown in. I'd worry less about hitting an arbitrary number by an arbitrary date and focus more on keeping up with healthy habits.
  • Michael190lbs
    edited July 2015
    Options

I know I feel awesome at 185lbs, my back, knees don't hurt any more.

2. I can run 5 miles anytime I want too.
    3. I leared what foods give me the most energy.
    4. how much protein I need to maintain muscle.
    5. Cardio burns 1/2 the calories the Machine says it did.
    6. smaller clothes cost the same as xxl
    7. Being Fat is unhealthy staying fat is unhealthy as well. I averaged 2.5lbs of weight loss a week for four months eating 1500 calories a day and riding my bike 16-20 miles a day for 50 minutes. I maintain the weight and Muscle eating 160-180 grams of protein a day 60-80 grams of fat and keep my carbs under 100 grams. Yes I have a cheat meal every week sometimes two..

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I averaged 2.5lbs of weight loss a week for four months eating 1500 calories a day

OP isn't talking about 2.5lbs of weight loss a week, though. She's talking about 30lbs in a month. That's about a pound a day, which is unrealistic and unsafe.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    30 pounds in 31 days? Not in a healthy way
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

7. Being Fat is unhealthy staying fat is unhealthy as well. I averaged 2.5lbs of weight loss a week for four months eating 1500 calories a day and riding my bike 16-20 miles a day for 50 minutes. I maintain the weight and Muscle eating 160-180 grams of protein a day 60-80 grams of fat and keep my carbs under 100 grams. Yes I have a cheat meal every week sometimes two..

you learned all that by losing 30 pounds in a single month? because that's what this particular thread is about
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

most people start counting with the number 1, but 2 works too.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

thanks, i dont think you read the OPs statement well. When you said you learnt from it I thought you learnt lessons from losing weight too fast. What you have described is what many of us have achieved losing it at a steady pass like yourself.
  • Michael190lbs
    Options

you learned all that by losing 30 pounds in a single month? because that's what this particular thread is about

I was answering a question from another member and by sept doesn't mean sept 1st it just means Sept which could add 30 days to your 30 day formula.